By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So...being realistic...XBOX360 made Ps3 flop this year

Maybe the Ps3 is slipping against the 360 but i don't care. I'm happy with my PS3. I try not to look at the opposition but to focus on what is good with my machine and there is heaps. I also get the feeling that MS and Sony will soon be so out of sync when it comes to console release dates that this is going to become a moot point. what i mean by that is i think Sony will end up releasing half way through MS's console expected life span and vice versa. The idea of Gen will fall. More interesting is where do Nintendo fit into the future of console gaming.

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups 

Around the Network
BengaBenga said:
Pristine20 said:
BengaBenga said:
Pristine20 said:

I don't think 360 owners necessarily buy shitloads of software. Halo sold millions on the unpopular xbox as well. I think the problem with ps3 selling software is the highly varied nature of its userbase relative to the other consoles. This is why it's hard to get multi-million dollar sales with any single game on ps3. I explain in the OP of this thread:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=47472

Well, 360 does sell enormous amounts across the board, something both Wii and PS3 can't say.

Some million sellers: Halo, GTA 4, CoD4, Forza, Gears, Assassins Creed, GH3, Oblivion,  Mass Effect, Fable, Saints Row, Fight Night, Dead Rising, Pro Evo, etc, etc, etc.

Pretty varied imo. Sure, a lot of shooters but certainly not exclusively. There are some games that underperformed on 360, but not a whole lot.

Many of those other games became "million sellers" after their prices dropped. There are not that many games on the ps3 that don't cost $60. Even Eternal sonata thats older than my grandma released at $60. Notice I also said heavily "westernized games" not just shooters. This would include western RPGs like Fable and Mass Effect and heavily western infuenced games like GTA.

PS always stood above the rest due to it's JP support but it almost semms like the whole JP gaming industry fell  right along with sony.

You might be on to something here...
Still Japanese support is quickly switching to Wii. SE is the only major player staying behind. I do think PS3's "failure" is very tough on the Japanese developers, they now have to create that market on Wii. Sometimes successful (Fatal Frame 4), sometimes not (Tenchu 4).

360 though has lots of SE games and is relatively successful with that. JRPG gamers will definitely buy a 360, depriving PS3 of an important core PS2 usergroup.
And remember, the prices drop because the games have already made their money.

I can't really understand why the difference in software sales between PS3 and 360 is so big. I can only explain it by assuming the most hardcore gamers prefer 360.

Nah. I'm as hardcore as it gets and I prefer the ps3. It may be because I've always been a PS fan though. I love JRPGs but haven't gotten a 360 yet. WHy? It may have more JRPGs than the ps3 but the consistency is still not there compared to the beast the ps2 was. In the ps2 era, I couldn't even keep up with the JRPG releases but now, I can easily name every JRPG that has been released on x360. PS2 still remains strong with Persona 4 coming next. I still have a bigger backlog of ps2 and ps1 JRPGs to play on my 60gb than I'll find on 360

Like I said I think it's the nature of the userbase. Also, xbox always had western RPGs, Bethesda and LucasArts only supported the xbox with their RPGs not the ps2. I'm talking ES and KOTOR (the really good ones). So the fans of such games already knew what console to buy.

More JP support will defiitely move to wii but it seems like most publishers are still confused on the type of games that deserve wii releases.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

BengaBenga said:
Well, for some reason 360 owners buy sh*tloads of software. It really is the hardcore console. I don't know why, but the sales don't lie.

Microsoft has played this game very smart. They have great exclusive games and made sure they made a lot of Sony's most important games multiplat, so the balance would tip to MS. With the 360 software sales it's very unlikely that we'll see a lot of PS3 third party exclusives anymore, while 360 has plenty.

With GTA, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, DMC, etc now multiplat there's very few reasons to pay more money to play the same games.

However I don't think it's certain that 360 "won". PS3 still has chances, but it's clear that it will take a lot of effort from Sony to get back to the PS1/PS2 days.

As I said Benga, 1/3 of PS3 owners have to be only using the PS3 as a Blu Ray DVD player. Theres no way they can have over 16 M consoles sold and not sell more units of titles. 360 owners don't buy shitloads of software, if thats a shitload then I have no idea what you would call the Wii owners purchasing habits. I think it's realistic for the numbers. Xbox 360 when it was at Sony's level still sold more games, so it obviously means Sony's campaign went extremely wrong. The baited in technology buffs and gamers alike. Microsoft baited gamers, which was much smarter. 

The Xbox 360 got 2008. Plain and simple and you need to get something through your head dude. The PS3 is in third place, because they started thinking like Microsoft did when they got into the console business. They thought making a powerful multimedia system would help and the fucked things up for them, especially since they picked up a large percentage of non gamers buying the system just for the cheap Blu Ray player. Microsoft is acting more like the PS1/PS2 era Sony than Sony is right now. The roles are reversed. They went straight for the games, while Sony focused on a new format and a more powerful system. It took until 2008 for Sony to finally focus on games. 

@ Squilliam and Sardauk

well piracy is an incentive, it is true that people buy a lot of software for 360, but some have the option to buy the games they really like original and get only a copy of the one they just one to play once, for example gears 2 and mirror's edge. Some people got gears 2 before release.

I know someone that has a the elite model and one of the cheaper models i don't remember which one and he plays on XBL with the expensive one and buys pirated games for the other one that cant log on to XBL, that way he gets to play any game and if he happens to like one of the pirated ones he just buys the original, that is one advantage that a US$200 or less console + piracy give and is a selling incentive.

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

Pristine20 said:
BengaBenga said:
Pristine20 said:

I don't think 360 owners necessarily buy shitloads of software. Halo sold millions on the unpopular xbox as well. I think the problem with ps3 selling software is the highly varied nature of its userbase relative to the other consoles. This is why it's hard to get multi-million dollar sales with any single game on ps3. I explain in the OP of this thread:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=47472

Well, 360 does sell enormous amounts across the board, something both Wii and PS3 can't say.

Some million sellers: Halo, GTA 4, CoD4, Forza, Gears, Assassins Creed, GH3, Oblivion,  Mass Effect, Fable, Saints Row, Fight Night, Dead Rising, Pro Evo, etc, etc, etc.

Pretty varied imo. Sure, a lot of shooters but certainly not exclusively. There are some games that underperformed on 360, but not a whole lot.

Many of those other games became "million sellers" after their prices dropped. There are not that many games on the ps3 that don't cost $60. Even Eternal sonata thats older than my grandma released at $60. Notice I also said heavily "westernized games" not just shooters. This would include western RPGs like Fable and Mass Effect and heavily western infuenced games like GTA.

PS always stood above the rest due to it's JP support but it almost semms like the whole JP gaming industry fell  right along with sony.

The JP support went Nintendo.

Around the Network

i still think what pachter predicted will come true, cuz i thought the same way, ps3 will look like its losing the first couple of years while wii is ahead and 360 stays in between and slowly slowly ps3 will equal 360, then wii then overtake the console war, despite this they will win by only a couple of percent marketshare, different than the ps2 era where they dominated.

Reasonable said:
I don't think you're being realistic - at least in choice of words.

PS3 spent fist half or more of year catching up on 360.

360 grew too but not enough to be exciting and was essentially being outsold WW despite having same games plus more exclusives and lower price

MS responded in the only way they could and dropped price (as until then I'd argue Sony was hurting MS more than the other way around)

360 has pulled some ground back but I think YTD PS3 has still improved more than 360 - and until we get to January/February we won't know how 2008 in full played out.

So I don't agree 360 made PS3 flop yet although MS have made the right moves to fight back.

I don't think the PS3 has "flopped" however I'm sure it is not performing to Sony's expectations.  The PS2 was far and away the market leader last generation and there is simply no way the PS3 will obtain that large a percentage of the market this generation.

That being said, the ONLY thing this does for PS3 owners is limit the number of 3rd party exclusives that will appear first, or only on the PS3.  Without the huge marketshare lead, and given the performance on software on the 360, there is no real incentive to stay exclusive to the PS3.  Besides, the market is clearly big enough to support two HD consoles as evidenced by the increasing sales of the 360 and PS3, even with a gloomy global economy.

Would be a shame, in my book however, if the higher priced consoles with less exclusives "won" the sales battle simply due to Brand name or tertiary (to games) abilities (Blu-Ray).

If the factor of people buying the PS3 just for Blu Ray is an issue for the PS3, then wouldn't every sale the 360 wins over the PS3 when both are in contention for the consumer be a greater loss for Sony as they would be infact losing their best customers, the ones which give them the most software royalties?

Tease.

kunaixhaku said:
i still think what pachter predicted will come true, cuz i thought the same way, ps3 will look like its losing the first couple of years while wii is ahead and 360 stays in between and slowly slowly ps3 will equal 360, then wii then overtake the console war, despite this they will win by only a couple of percent marketshare, different than the ps2 era where they dominated.

The Wii already overtook the console war. The Wii has the PS3 by twice their sales. This logic doesn't make sense to me. Elaborate on your point a bit.

Squilliam said:
If the factor of people buying the PS3 just for Blu Ray is an issue for the PS3, then wouldn't every sale the 360 wins over the PS3 when both are in contention for the consumer be a greater loss for Sony as they would be infact losing their best customers, the ones which give them the most software royalties?

Good question. Also Sony really didn't think of the people and only thought about investors with that price. They obviously weren't paying attention to the purchasing level of their core buyers. Alot of former exclusive PS2 owners bought a 360, because the 360 feels more like a PS2 successor.