By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wind Waker: Why would you consider this to be the best Zelda game?

The original Legend of Zelda is what established the franchise, even if Link to the Past was the third game in the series. It was the definitive title in the series (and arguably still is), and was the best-selling entry until Ocarina of Time cam out. Hell, I think it's still the second-best-selling over two decades later.

Not to say that Link to the Past wasn't important, because it was, but the original deserves all possible props here.

Around the Network

I see your point Khuutra.

btw.. I bought "Zelda 1" back in 1987. Later on I played through "The Adventure of Link" (it had a xp-based system). Do you think Nintendo will ever go back to experience points in a Zelda title?

God I hope not.

I hated, hated Adventures of Link. it might just be me, but dear God. Ugh.

I personally didn't like this game. I was disgusted by the art style when I was 14, but now I don't even pay heed to it that much.

I have to agree with just about everything you posted. I didn't really do anything about the picture quest though.

I didn't like the story, it tried to be different, but instead came up as a plot hole ridden twee-Saturday morning affair. Somebody should really let Nintendo's writers know they just can't write great literature, Sega has written better stories.

What really killed this game for me though were two things: The uber-easiness (Mario Party 4 was higher in difficulty), and the sailing. The sailing was so boring, I could litteraly put down the controller and get a snack in the time it took to get from one island to the next, and to make it worse the warping powers of the Wind God didn't help at all. And the real killer: the Triforce Quest. As soon as I got here, I didn't care anymore, and knowing I had to sail around the world randomly, hope to find a triforce chart piece, translate it, THEN go find the triforce part and repeat the process EIGHT times, I didn't want to go through it anymore.

It was a so-so game, but far from the best. The worst Zelda game ever made though, and let's pray it forever remains the case, is Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon.

P.S.

Phantom Hourglass>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wind Waker

Member #50 of the Sonic Support Squad! :P

holy crap i didn't check this thread whole yesterday and now i'm lost

ah well, there are only a select few here that seems to find absolutely nothing wrong with WW, which is a cool scene.

I feel a little better that the majority here seems to agree with the gripes stated in the OP, for the most part.

I guess i was just searching to see if there is anything, or any perspective, that you all can shed light on for me to give this game another chance.

but uh, no.

Around the Network

for me windwaker and a link to the past are the best zelda games, coz they were really fun to play and i cared enough to really want to finish them.

i still havent finished twilight princess and i dont care to even try.
only ocarina of time i havent played yet, so i dont know about that one but i guess its similiar to TP

Improvements are caused by people who complain

I'm gunna go out on a limb and say "adventures of link was the best one"

Faxanadu said:
It is evil because I am stuck in the first dungeon without a sword.

Ha ha ha lol

MY ZELDA COLLECTION

I agree with anyone who says that Wind Waker's best redeeming point was it's gorgeous graphics. That, and being "directly" related to Ocarina of Time were it's best features.

Other than that, it wasn't very good. It was "Zelda Lite." Too many hearts, too easy overall, easiest bosses in any Zelda game, simplest tasks and dungeons, easiest enemies, fewest real challenges. It also failed in that it padded the game's size with needless fetch-quests, ridiculous over-use of the Wind Waker baton, too much repetition, and actual boring moments when sailing from one meager island to another. The environments generally seemed too sparse where enemies were concerned. There was just no challenge at all. Sailing around for hours to dig up quarter-sections of hearts was beyond tedious.

Gnizmo, you get to be a Ninja in Majora's Mask!

WW wasn't my favorite 3D game, but if it had more dungeons and something better to do with finding the triforce rather than fishing it up, it might have been my favorite. MM takes the spot though. I generally don't rate my games though, I love them all.