By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wind Waker: Why would you consider this to be the best Zelda game?

Sweet. It's on.

I just need to finish like 57 other games first. >_>

Around the Network

WW had a fun, quirky atmosphere and big, beautiful world full of life and secrets. 'Course, it's nowhere near MM in anything but size, at least in my opinion.

|Y|A|O|I|
¯¯¯¯¯¯My anti-drug™

I hate Wind Waker. I dislike virtually everything about it. As far as I am concerned it didn't happen. As far as I am concerned after Majora's Mask the only GC zelda game was Twilight Princess. WW disgusts me. OoT, Phantom Hourglass, Minish Cap etc all great games but WW is just an unnatural stain.

the best zelda for me was, "the legend of zelda: twilight princess". best dungeons,story and the controls were awesome on the wii, playing a zelda game using those controls, their isnt anyway i would go back too using any other controls. its a 10/10, best game on the wii.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

DSLover said:
I hate Wind Waker. I dislike virtually everything about it. As far as I am concerned it didn't happen. As far as I am concerned after Majora's Mask the only GC zelda game was Twilight Princess. WW disgusts me. OoT, Phantom Hourglass, Minish Cap etc all great games but WW is just an unnatural stain.

So you hated the Wind Waker, but liked Phantom Hourglass?  :S

Around the Network
blunty51 said:

So, there are a lot of people that give WW highest praise. I must say, I do not understand why, and I need some enlightening (or beating). Blasphemy, I shall smite thee in the name of Din.

For me, this was the first Zelda game that truly disappointed.

The one thing it had going for it was the graphics; it was beautiful and seemless. Also, the combat was decent. Definately agreed, this is the most beautiful game I own (I don't own Okami)

However, gripes:

- Having to change the direction of the wind a lot of the time became tedious (even though you can effectively head 3 directions with one direction of the wind.) Can't say I found that tedious it takes seconds to change the wind, I specifically went sailing instead of using the hurricanes because I loved it, but it's not too long into the game you can get the hurricane warp so for those who didn't like the sailing you an use that, the only problem island was the Fortress because it is over 2 squares away from the nearest accessible warp.

- Very simplistic dungeons. It was mainly kill all the enemies in the room to progress forward. nothing interesting. Which game were you playing, the general dungeon mechanics seems the same as in OoT and TP to me.

- finding spoils......must I read the literature everytime I pick one up (the manyyyy times)?? Why can't i just skip through the text? For some reason I noticed this a lot more in Twilight Princess... every time you open an old game you have to read the "found..." text for the smaller rupees again for some reason?!?... however I agree, I wish they could be skipped easier

- Many small islands are, to me, just capping out on making a sprawling adventure. There were just a few islands that had any kind of size whatsoever, but the majority of the game are just these little rocks where u just do one lil task. I know it's the SEA but after making me sail for some fairly long periods i want to be rewarded a bit better than that. I loved this aspect of it, sailing up to a tin little island with 1 inhabitant, finding out all I can and moving on.

- Pictures. Come on, it is an extremely tedious task to take a pic of everything in the game to get all the statues. This made me give up this game forever. Again, I liked this bit, I did wish there was a slightly larger film in the camera as 3 pictures at once is annoying, but at least this sidequest has a decent reward in the great information library that is The Nintendo Gallery.... I'll tell you what was tedious, finding the effing golden skulltula in OoT, I wasn't given any significant motivation to complete this dull task.

- Wasted space. Many parts of this game are just there for traversing and serve no other purpose. I do enough traversing in the waters. With the little land you have, please hold my interest by doing something more with it instead of just walking from here to there. This can be said of all games except perhaps Mario Galaxy, most games are made up of vast walking intersected by short periods of action.... What was in Hyrule field that made it any better than this, why the hell is Lon Lon Ranch so huge, what's the deal with the bit between Castle town and Hyrule Castle (OoT) where all you do is walk from here to there.

- Enemies knocked to the ground. It's just another waste of time. Many time i just have to beat one enemy and move on, but then I hit it once, and it falls. I will now have to stare and wait till it gets up before i finish it off. I don't understand this one, you mean inability to attack an enemy that you stunned to the ground? because that didn't happen much in WW for me, most stunned enemies stay standing and you can still attack them. (Moblins and Bokoblins sway on the spot with stars around their heads) This is something I noticed in TP but not in WW, because as a wolf it seems commonplace that I would knock somone to the ground with an "A button" attack, then had to wait till they got up again.

You know, individually these problems are not that bad but they have all culminated to a slighty uglier head.

Don't get me wrong this was a good game but I can see almost all Zelda games being better, some by a very wide margin.

Why is this game, in your opinion, the best Zelda yet? If you say graphics only, and you are a nintendo 'fan' or 'fanboy' or whatever, then umm, you know, the word hypocrite comes to mind. Not really given that most Nintendo fans argument is against excessive realism that doesn't in fact make a game look more interesting, but rather the opposite.

Windwaker >> Twilight Princess > OoT

Unfortunately I still haven't played Majora's Mask, but my guess by it's oddness and style is I would rate it up with, or higher than Windwaker, but only if I had played it in it's day.

For the love of Nayru, please put Majora's Mask on the Virtual Console!

I cannot imagine how you can think any other Zelda is better. Question: How many Zelda games are you a pirate? Follow up: Are you ever a ninja (the only thing more awesome than a pirate) in any Zelda? The Wind Waker is the best for the simple fact that pirates are more awesome than anything save ninjas. This makes it the best Zelda game due to sheer badassery.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Gnizmo said:
I cannot imagine how you can think any other Zelda is better. Question: How many Zelda games are you a pirate? Follow up: Are you ever a ninja (the only thing more awesome than a pirate) in any Zelda? The Wind Waker is the best for the simple fact that pirates are more awesome than anything save ninjas. This makes it the best Zelda game due to sheer badassery.

You get to fight a ninja in OoT.

TWRoO said:

You get to fight a ninja in OoT.

Which shows just how ridiculous that game is. How can anyone beat a Ninja? Absurdity at its worst.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

My biggest complain is that it felt too empty. Sure there was lots of islands... But nothing on them. Where are the crowds and the big towns? The sailing, while fun at first, becomes a chore, even with the ballad of Gales. I feel like they could have put something more interesting out there than 75% ocean and 25% tiny empty islands.

The music was great but some of them felt too quiet. Like the boss battle music... Previous Zelda games made me nervous and the music had a very unsettling feel to it. Maybe if they would have put more percussions and occasional loud sounds it would make it more alert to danger, more stressing.

The Triforce quest was really boring. I also wish they could have put more dungeons, because I found them enjoyable (probably the most fun part of the game).

While I quite like cel-shading, I'm not a fan of "head's bigger than body and tiny hands/feet" character models. If they were more proportionate, it wouldn't have bothered me.

Some characters in the game were great. I really liked the King, Ganondorf and Zelda. I really didn't expect some things about them... The others all had their own charm too, though, nothing will beat MM's NPCs.

Story-wise, it was nothing really that special. People who played Zelda since the very first one know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, that's what I think of WW. I really don't get what's so special about it other than different graphics. It left a plain, not disgusting though, taste in my mouth. It's a good game, but not so great Zelda, imo, it could have been MUCH better.