By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wind Waker: Why would you consider this to be the best Zelda game?

well, for me ALttP is the best.

MY ZELDA COLLECTION
Around the Network

I like this game, however, it wasn't my favorite.

Things I didn't like

I thought the dungeons were too simplistic (last two were great).
Most of the islands were too small
The game is incomplete (missing two dungeons and it shows)

Things I liked
I think the art style really worked well, I though it was an awful idea at first but loved it once I saw it in motion

The characters had life to them, I actually felt bad when grandma was ill. Also the humor was great.

Tower of the Gods felt epic

Check out my games for sale eBay and Toycatacomb

I am no writer but I try

And

Finally

I am watching you!

Great game....not the best.... at least imo.

Wow.. I must say that the huge expanse of ocean was great.. Never knowing when a giant sea creature was gonna attack..

Also I found that the waiting for the enemies to get back up after being stunned was very well done with the racing music and link at the ready with his sword, it made battles dramatic unlike in TP where there is no sense of that dramatic action..

Of course that's only my opinion and I can see how people could be disappointed by the NPC's but they were much better than the ones found in TP and if Nintendo ever went back to a Wind Waker style game.. I'd hope that they increased the darkness of the game during the nite and make the player feel the chilling attmosphere.. Give the gamers something to dread..

Also you had pirates! I found what Nintendo did with WW to be a wasted opportunity in that respect..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In fact this is what I'd want in a console Wind Waker sequel or prequel

- More emphasis on the sea being dangerous (perhaps gameplay would require you to rid the sea of an evil of some kind? Kinda like the Twilight realm but without totally different worlds)

- More emphasis on the Pirate ships and the Ghost Ship (imagine intense ship battles with ghost ships throughout the game, maybe having to explore different ghost ships of varying sizes)

- More emphasis on Day/Nite (Ghost ships only appearing at nite, as with WW, the sea and perhaps islands morphing to something else at nite, frozen islands and inhabitants at nite? having to unfreeze the islands before being able to explore the island properly due to things being guarded etc during the day)

- Having more of an island community feel with a group of much closer islands in the starting area of the game but still having the islands in far reaches of the map. Also having one major island that fills up an entire block of the map would make getting to these far out reaches more worthwhile to the player

- also with the island community I'd like to see NPC's that are moving between the islands and know people from the other islands as you expect them to.. I wanna see festivals and other interactions between the islands.. i wanna see wanted posters for the pirates that link associates himself with.. I want to see a major event rock the entire island community such as the freezing and unfreezing of islands and the impact these events have, maybe a death? or capture of one of the pirates? Perhaps link in the later part of the game must traverse the islands at nite in the form of a ninja because he saves one of these pirates and has a wanted [poster himself..

- I want to see the emotional struggle of the chracters and where the story takes them.. how the world is always changing

- This creates atmosphere and a sense of attachment.. For people that have read the harry potter books, when harry is ridiculed and nobody believes him about things, u feel helpless with him and feel what he is feeling.. isolated and annoyed or angry..

- above all that, i wanna see major dungeons, dungeons like no other zelda before it and drawing on the knowledge gained from the story..

I WANT ZELDA Wii!!

Really? A lot of people say that? This is the first "why do people think WW is the best" thread I've seen after countless OoT ones (and the OoT ones weren't full of bashing).

WW and TP are both my favorites in the series but for completely different reasons. After completing the older titles such as Ocarina of Time, Master Quest, Link to the Past etc, I still prefer the modern titles. Saying that which is better? It's hard to say. The Great sea was fantastic on Wind Waker, it allows the player to explore what they want at their leisure creating great freedom. Yes I agree there should have been at least one more temple, but it's nothing major. The artistic style, the humor, the music - there isn't one thing I didn't like about Wind Waker. I don't see what's so bad about the title.

Around the Network

It is evil because I am stuck in the first dungeon without a sword.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

I thought the game was great. There was so much to explore and do and the concept of sailing around to get to your destinations was radically different than any previous Zelda. The graphics, characters and level design were all easy on the eyes, and I had a lot of fun.

Of course the game was flawed, like everyone said a lot of the islands were useless and the world felt kind of empty. I think if Nintendo spent another year working on it, it would have been hands down the greatest Zelda game ever.

I'm a filmmaker, writer, and gamer. Add me on Xbox Live or message me!

XBL Gamertag: StraitupBeastin

MasterZack said:
well, for me ALttP is the best.

:)

Me too! The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past basically 'established' the franchise and perfected ideas from the original Zelda.

-The Lush colourfull graphics of the Overworld. The Lost Woods covered in fog and sunlight. The rain and lightning made everything moody. The Sanctuary, it's all great!

-Classic music composed by Koji Kondo. The Overworld music and Kakariko Village music. The unnerving melancholic Dark World music.

-A Link to the Past has superb dungeon/temple design. Ocarina of Time was a great game, but the temples were excruciating, slightly boring and lacked original ideas and concepts.

-Quality gameplay. A Link to the Past is the Zelda game. It is up to date and Highly Recommended!

LttP did not establish the franchise.

That is a silly idea.

Khuutra said:
LttP did not establish the franchise.

That is a silly idea.

Knit Picking Khuutra :)

A game is not a franchise. Two games could be.  Three games definitely is.

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link is a good game (by all means) but it was the popular A Link to the Past that cemented the franchise back in 1991. I remember it like it was yesterday :D