By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - "Im a PC! Got a problem with that?": New Microsoft advertisements kick off.

honestly this is worse than the gates sinfield comercials, it just kinda points out people who use pcs, well duh most people still do in the usa macs have 10.4% market share (yay double digits) and im sure linux has at least 3% so 86.5% of people use windows.... in the world its a bit higher where macs have 5.5% im going to ausume 3.5% for linux but dont really know .... still that puts windows at 91% wow people use windows ... amazing...

they missed the point, they need to tell us what it does for us that competitiors dont, or why to chose one over the other... or go back to the strange ads. at least people paid atention to those, and mind share is good.

those other comercials where they lie to people about a new windows slightly better... besideds needing to lie to get people impressed.

honestly i hope they handle windows 7 better, or do a reboot of windows a-la the change over to OSX

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
Microsoft is better than apple.....apple are money-hungry thieves

lol why you talk when you dont know what you are talking about, windows xp wich is a pretty old software goes on sale for $ 174, while Leopard wich is the newest apple software goes on sale for $ 103 so near double for an older OS lol i think MS are the ones that are thieves

This looks more like a Apple advert then a MS one. It uses Apples slogan and promotes PC's but not specifically MS. Microsoft last few advertisements failed pretty fast, I wouldn't be surprised if these did too.

@Thatmax -- Its Microsoft's damage control campain over the PC vs. Mac ads that apple runs.

I must say i prefer the Apple ads since atleast they tell you something... these ads could of been better.

The thing about political campaigns are, you can always tell when a candidate is behind in polls or standing when the majority of their ad campaign is negative towards their opponent.

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
Microsoft is better than apple.....apple are money-hungry thieves

Didnt Bill Gates get sued for bullying out smaller companies and slowing progression to manopalise the industry? Almost all big companies are money hungry ... but not "thieves"

not a bad ad

goddog said:
honestly this is worse than the gates sinfield comercials, it just kinda points out people who use pcs, well duh most people still do in the usa macs have 10.4% market share (yay double digits) and im sure linux has at least 3% so 86.5% of people use windows.... in the world its a bit higher where macs have 5.5% im going to ausume 3.5% for linux but dont really know .... still that puts windows at 91% wow people use windows ... amazing...

they missed the point, they need to tell us what it does for us that competitiors dont, or why to chose one over the other... or go back to the strange ads. at least people paid atention to those, and mind share is good.

those other comercials where they lie to people about a new windows slightly better... besideds needing to lie to get people impressed.

honestly i hope they handle windows 7 better, or do a reboot of windows a-la the change over to OSX

Well let's see they should a whole bunch of people who use PC's yes.

They also showed people from all different proffesions who use PCs designers bloggers and so forth. To show that windows can do that stuff.

However the main point is a response to the apple ads which paint PC users as squares who are inept and lack imagination or creativity. So they show all different types of people forom different backgrounds and different economic scales to counter that image.

Thatmax said:
So... whats the point in the ad? I learnt nothing about the computer at all! someone got paid to think this up???

The point of the ad is to sabotage Apple's mudslinging "Get a Mac" advertisements. It's remembering you (if you are a PC user) that you are a pc too just like many other people in the world so whenever Apple ad's make fun out of I'm a PC guy it feels like it's making fun out of all those people and out of you. It's got also some celebrities thrown in for the cool factor and it also enforces the perception of Apple being a minority/niche solution chosen because of style/brand, not functionality (as the ad shows, PC's can be used by everyone and for everything).  I think it's also intended to disrupt Apple's "only boring cubicle lurkers would use windows" subtext. They do this by changing the meaning of "I'm a PC". If you watch "Get a Mac" ads carefully, they are always constructed so it is inferred that both actors represent the computer, not the user - that way Apple can get away with belittling and humiliating the "I'm a PC" guy. MS wants people to read "I'm a PC" as "I'm a PC user" so Apple can no longer do that.

To put it in another way, MS execs are way pissed at Apple's "Get a Mac" campaign and want them to stop. There's also of course the issue of Apple growing a crapload on the most dynamic segment right now (laptops) and the so called halo effect of iPods and iPhones (both extremely succesful products even amongst the windows crowd that supposedly are driving adoption of Apple computers).

@Darth I could argue you that statement to hell. I can also provide you links from tomshardware (a pc only site) comparing costs on a Mac Pro and equivalent equipped box made of cheapest newegg components that show less than 100$ markup* (including windows license).

*under certain conditions that sadly aren't widespread knowledge.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

i like these new ads. the first one was better than the second one though.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur