By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - "Im a PC! Got a problem with that?": New Microsoft advertisements kick off.

epsilon72 said:
I'm a PC.

A PC WITH LINUX!!

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Around the Network

great, now it's pc and mac fanboys.

"Kinect" Games I am really excited about (Click for videos)

Kinectimals        Dance Central      Kinect-Sports   Kinect-Adventures    Your Shape       Kinect-Forza

Owner of :   slim 1000 +  80GB DSlite

Bitmap Frogs said:
epsilon72 said:
I'm a PC.

A PC WITH LINUX!!

Novell.... frankly few linux supporters would be willing to admit they even like Novell.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Microsoft's commercials are missing something... what is it... what is it. I know... it's called finesse. As usual, MS takes the same approach as they have for the past couple of decades: "Hi. Buy me or you won't be running with the herd."

@ MS' anal retentive answers to humour:

And here we can see Bill Gates after being fired also from MS ads, enjoying a typical retiree hobby:

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
This thread just made me realize that I have yet to see a BSOD on my laptop which is running on Vista and it's seen a lot more use than my tower.

Are you sure Vista didn't *try* to bring up a blue screen o' death, but when the security module asked it to either accept or deny, Vista kernel was unable to respond?

That Linux ad was corny!

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

ssj12 said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
epsilon72 said:
I'm a PC.

A PC WITH LINUX!!

Novell.... frankly few linux supporters would be willing to admit they even like Novell.

They are pulling in a billion/year promoting the adoption of linux solutions in enterprise environments. If anyone is doing something to actively undermine windows and microsoft it's them. Granted their patent agreement has created a lot of controversy but they work hard to convince people that linux (or at least, novell-linux) is up to snuff for serious, demanding applications.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

TheRealMafoo said:
freebird4 said:
Apple's are for people who want to think they're special.

Yeah, you are special. It takes a special kind of dumbass to pay $500-1000 extra for an Apple with half the compatibility of a PC.

I bought my Mac Book Pro 17" 2.5 years ago.

I wanted a laptop that was an inch thick, metal, 1680x1080 screen, dual core, under 7 pounds, built in webcam, back light keyboard, 802.11g, 256 meg video card, and over 4 hours of batter life.

Can you show me the PC I should have bought that's $500-$1000 less then the $2900 I spent? Can you show me one at all that was around 2.5 years ago? Can you show me one today?

I will save you some time (because I looked). There was none. The closest was a Dell, and it was bigger, heavier, slower, and cost a hell of a lot more.

Quite the bold challange: spout some specific specs of a three year old computer and tell us to match them. How about this: give us a current Mac and we will find a cheaper alternative. Just in case you were planning on using the size of the Air, ours may be just a little heavier, but it will have a media drive.

The point is, with Windows (and Linux) you have options of competing hardware. Prices are lower, and for that matter the generally low prices of computers is thanks to this competition.

"You can never jump away from Conclusions. Getting back is not so easy. That's why we're so terribly crowded here."

Canby - The Phantom Tollbooth

As always, Microsoft is in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation here.

They have long been criticized by PC users for not responding to Apple's false advertising. I started wondering myself if Microsoft even CARED that Apple was taking market share away from them. I am happy as hell that they're finally starting to make a move. If I had to live in a world where I was forced to use OSX instead of my Windows machines, I would probably just switch to Linux. But now that Microsoft is trying to advertise a little more, they're getting criticized as well. They're in a lose/lose situation.

The fact is that the ad agency behind some of the most successful ad campaigns ever created is also behind this particular campaign. And this is just the beginning. People are really talking about this and they're still trying to make some sense out of what these ads are all about. (Frankly, I can see if you don't quite understand the Jerry and Bill commercials, but if you don't get the ones in the OP, you're absolutely lost.) That, my friends, is the whole purpose of these ads. The internet is buzzing about it, people at my job are talking about it, all the tech websites are talking about it, hell there have been several threads about it on VGChartz!!

Whether or not you like the ads is immaterial. The very fact that you're even talking about them is proof that you're paying attention to them, and that's all that matters to the ad agency. In other words, the ads are doing their job. I guarantee you that down the road more in this I'm a PC campaign, you will start seeing some things more specifically targeted at the people who think you can't burn a CD on anything but a Mac (I've met several), or who think the only kind of MP3 player that exists is the iPod (which I categorize more as a hard drive with a GUI that puts DRM on all your music).

It's no longer a question: These ads are doing what they were intended to do. They're getting people talking. Because they're replacing the first couple ads with these I'm a PC ads, people think that they canned the Jerry and Bill stuff. If you had read any stories about this back when they first started running those, you would know that it was ALWAYS the intention to replace these with more straightforward ads.