By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - "Im a PC! Got a problem with that?": New Microsoft advertisements kick off.

The ads are pretty bad, but at the same time the Apple ads resort to outright lies and slander, so I can't really fault them in comparison...

Around the Network
lapsed_gamer said:
TheRealMafoo said:
freebird4 said:
Apple's are for people who want to think they're special.

Yeah, you are special. It takes a special kind of dumbass to pay $500-1000 extra for an Apple with half the compatibility of a PC.

I bought my Mac Book Pro 17" 2.5 years ago.

I wanted a laptop that was an inch thick, metal, 1680x1080 screen, dual core, under 7 pounds, built in webcam, back light keyboard, 802.11g, 256 meg video card, and over 4 hours of batter life.

Can you show me the PC I should have bought that's $500-$1000 less then the $2900 I spent? Can you show me one at all that was around 2.5 years ago? Can you show me one today?

I will save you some time (because I looked). There was none. The closest was a Dell, and it was bigger, heavier, slower, and cost a hell of a lot more.

Quite the bold challange: spout some specific specs of a three year old computer and tell us to match them. How about this: give us a current Mac and we will find a cheaper alternative. Just in case you were planning on using the size of the Air, ours may be just a little heavier, but it will have a media drive.

The point is, with Windows (and Linux) you have options of competing hardware. Prices are lower, and for that matter the generally low prices of computers is thanks to this competition.

Apple doesn't pricedrop models until a new revision ships. The first months of a new revision are competitively priced - as time passes and manufacturers start dropping prices Apple doesn't. Then there's the case of the iMac - it's all laptop parts and there's a large high-res screen embedded which drives price higher.

Basically, as long as you buy early and upgrade yourself ram/hd macs aren't really expensive. The link to tomshardware comparison macpro / cheapest newegg parts shows less than 100$ markup.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

@Domicinator:
Yea, the new ads are easier to get, nevertheless they are quite bland compared to the humour of the Apple ads they should answer. And we all know that answering what is unequivocally humourous with an even vaguely pernickety way makes you look either fussy, or not very clever, or both. Unless pretending not to get the humour is a form of humour itself, but MS ads don't look like they fall in this case, the only humourous bit was the BSOD added to the end by some naughty, naughty, naughty mac fan

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

lapsed_gamer said:
TheRealMafoo said:
freebird4 said:

Yeah, you are special. It takes a special kind of dumbass to pay $500-1000 extra for an Apple with half the compatibility of a PC.

I wanted a laptop that was an inch thick, metal, 1680x1080 screen, dual core, under 7 pounds, built in webcam, back light keyboard, 802.11g, 256 meg video card, and over 4 hours of batter life.

Can you show me the PC I should have bought that's $500-$1000 less then the $2900 I spent? Can you show me one at all that was around 2.5 years ago? Can you show me one today?

I will save you some time (because I looked). There was none. The closest was a Dell, and it was bigger, heavier, slower, and cost a hell of a lot more.

Quite the bold challange: spout some specific specs of a three year old computer and tell us to match them. How about this: give us a current Mac and we will find a cheaper alternative. Just in case you were planning on using the size of the Air, ours may be just a little heavier, but it will have a media drive.

The point is, with Windows (and Linux) you have options of competing hardware. Prices are lower, and for that matter the generally low prices of computers is thanks to this competition.

I bought my Mac to run Windows. I didn't care about OSX at the time, I just wanted the best Windows hardware. I could not find a  laptop that could beat it on function. I then ran dual boot, and over time, as I learned OSX, XP kept pissing me off. I would want XP to do all the things OSX would do for me. Then Vista came out, and tried to do all the things OSX does, but it was buggy as hell. I finally blew away my Windows install, and am completely OSX on this machine.

One thing people seem to forget. Apple is primarily a hardware company. MS a software company. OSX is a version of UNIX they throw on there hardware, but they are selling the hardware. You could get 90% of what OSX does if you put Linux on a PC.

A better comparison between two companies, would be Apple vs. Dell, or HP, or IBM.

Domicinator said:
As always, Microsoft is in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation here.

They have long been criticized by PC users for not responding to Apple's false advertising. I started wondering myself if Microsoft even CARED that Apple was taking market share away from them. I am happy as hell that they're finally starting to make a move. If I had to live in a world where I was forced to use OSX instead of my Windows machines, I would probably just switch to Linux. But now that Microsoft is trying to advertise a little more, they're getting criticized as well. They're in a lose/lose situation.

The fact is that the ad agency behind some of the most successful ad campaigns ever created is also behind this particular campaign. And this is just the beginning. People are really talking about this and they're still trying to make some sense out of what these ads are all about. (Frankly, I can see if you don't quite understand the Jerry and Bill commercials, but if you don't get the ones in the OP, you're absolutely lost.) That, my friends, is the whole purpose of these ads. The internet is buzzing about it, people at my job are talking about it, all the tech websites are talking about it, hell there have been several threads about it on VGChartz!!

Whether or not you like the ads is immaterial. The very fact that you're even talking about them is proof that you're paying attention to them, and that's all that matters to the ad agency. In other words, the ads are doing their job. I guarantee you that down the road more in this I'm a PC campaign, you will start seeing some things more specifically targeted at the people who think you can't burn a CD on anything but a Mac (I've met several), or who think the only kind of MP3 player that exists is the iPod (which I categorize more as a hard drive with a GUI that puts DRM on all your music).

It's no longer a question: These ads are doing what they were intended to do. They're getting people talking. Because they're replacing the first couple ads with these I'm a PC ads, people think that they canned the Jerry and Bill stuff. If you had read any stories about this back when they first started running those, you would know that it was ALWAYS the intention to replace these with more straightforward ads.

The problem with that approach, is every one knows who Microsoft is. Getting there name out there is not going to sell more units. What you need to do, is explain to people why they would want your product over your competitions product. In fact, avoiding that comparison, to me, shows you don't want to go down that road, as you will lose.

Don't come out with an ad that says "Go PC, everyone is doing it!". I am not in Jr High anymore.

Around the Network
lapsed_gamer said:
TheRealMafoo said:
freebird4 said:

Quite the bold challenge: spout some specific specs of a three year old computer and tell us to match them. How about this: give us a current Mac and we will find a cheaper alternative. Just in case you were planning on using the size of the Air, ours may be just a little heavier, but it will have a media drive.

Final-Fan said:
freebird4 said:

I presume you can point to an in-depth cost comparison confirming that trend, which refutes or at least counters the one referred to by Bitmap Frogs above?  (Instead of, you know, pulling rumor and speculation out of your ass.)

[edit:  Oh, I'm sorry, but it looks like you're totally wrong, unless you were referring specifically to Apple upgrades, not systems.  Better luck next time.]

Looks like someone didn't read all the posts.  But I do appreciate you not being a huge dick about it like freebird4. 

The link refutes your allegation in general and with an example.  [edit:  Not MacBook Air.  Whoops.]

The only real price advantage PCs seem to have (aside from if you foolishly buy upgrades from Apple) is that you can buy a lower-end model than Apple delivers, building it to satisfy your own desires and not paying for anything you don't want.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Thatmax said:
So... whats the point in the ad? I learnt nothing about the computer at all! someone got paid to think this up???

The point is that with a PC, you are can anything you want to do.  I think there is a little dig in the ads at Apple for being limited in certain areas, ie gaming.

Bethesda's Todd Howard "if install base really mattered, we'd all make board games, because there are a lot of tables."

Feel free to add me ...

PSN ID - jedson328
XBL Gamertag - jedson328

I've always been Windows > Mac.
But these commercials blow. Microsoft =/= "victims", nor can they make anyone believe they are. All they really need is to make their UI better for collage students and they should regain alot of the consumers that went to Apple.

bbsin said:
I've always been Windows > Mac.
But these commercials blow. Microsoft =/= "victims", nor can they make anyone believe they are. All they really need is to make their UI better for collage students and they should regain alot of the consumers that went to Apple.

Well, if I had to guess, the commercial isn't about victimizing Microsoft. It's about humanizing it. ;)

The BuShA owns all!

If any sort of fanboyism is worst than the console ones, it is Mac fanatism. It is quite amusing watching a raging Mac fanatic flailing his arms trough the air and explaining me why Macs are better for graphic design, while i occasionaly take stab at him... good times.