By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Super Mario Galaxy vs. Halo 3 - Which game will sell more units overall?

Looks like for Thanksgiving, Vgchartz will be eating crow, not turkey.

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:

Why?

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

super mario galaxy. Halo has way more American support, but the overall support of the US plus the Japanese support and Europe support will make Galaxy a higher selling game.

dtewi said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Why?

If you hadn't noticed, Galaxy has been sold out at most places.  Nintendo under shipped.  So technically MontanHatchet is correct, we're going to see a lot of people's first week guesses for Galaxy being impossible to meet.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

wareagle372 said:
super mario galaxy. Halo has way more American support, but the overall support of the US plus the Japanese support and Europe support will make Galaxy a higher selling game.

You guys still think that Galaxy is going to pull through in Japan?  Come on... stop fooling yourself.  As awesome as the game is for westeners it's a total write off in Japan.  The 3d aspect killed it's prospects there.  The game is amazing and will most likely eventually outsell Halo 3. I just don't see Japan as being a reason why.

On another note.  If you go to wii.com and look up Miyamoto's interview with Iwata about Galaxy, he makes a pretty bold statement.  Miyamoto expects that Super Mario Galaxy will sell 10 million copies and be played over 100 million times from beginning to end.  So Nintendo is expecting huge sales all around on Galaxy and I think they will go out of their way to make sure it meets those goals.  Otherwise WTH?!?! How can a game this good not go on to be one of the most sold games ever?

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Around the Network

And I was called a fool for saying that Halo 3 would outsell Super Mario Galaxy...

Am i missing something, or has there been more sales figures revealed other than in Japan and first two days in UK?

Actually most of the people here said halo 3 will beat it initially and that SMG will have longer legs and eventually overtake it. I don't see how the current situation have disproved that at all. Really, aside from the Japan sales, we won't know till the end of the generation.

However, the packaging in of halo 3 for 360 bundles will throw a wrench into the figures since it artificially inflates its sales. I'm sure if SMG became packaged with the wii, its sales will be high as well.

I think Galaxy can do it. Might take a Christmas or 2, but I think it'll happen.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

hAha just like Wii Sports but its considered one of the best selling games with no question about its package deal, now halo is Packaged*** and you all jump up and say it needs to be packaged to sell well..

*** its not even packaged you can only get it if you have an original xbox and a 360 then register online consider how many people will do this that dont already have the game and dont already have a 360? 100k at most?