By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Super Mario Galaxy vs. Halo 3 - Which game will sell more units overall?

Halo3 around 10m

SMG around 8m

Around the Network

Globally Mario I think .Halo 3 may sell a lot in US but the lackluster performance of the console in Europe and Japan will hurt its global sales .And by the way no way will Halo 3 sell 8 million in NA ....there are just 5.5 million X360 for gods sake !By september there may be 6 or 6.5 if Halo 3 boost a lot the sales but it cant sell 8 millions .

Mario will sell a lot in the 3 continents ,so it will win between these two .

At first glance i would say Halo 3 would definately win (US), and Mario Galaxy would definately win (WW). But then again i have to factor in the popularity of Halo now, as well as the casuals who will undoubtly buy Galaxy. These factors are indefinate until the actual event happens, like PS3 and Wii but the difference this time is that they don't have such a big price difference. So all in all i don't think that anyone of us could be sure (unless you can see into the future).

Wii Friend Code: 7356 3455 0732 3498 PM me if you add me

I appreciate the compliment, misterd, but I have to hope that there's some middle ground between 'pure-hearted innocent' and 'able to identify a bukkake super soaker without prompting'.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

I think Halo 3 has a shot, but I feel pretty confident that Galaxy takes the cake in the long run. I'm thinking more along the lines of how long will it take Galaxy to overcome Halo 3's sales.

I think Galaxy might reach 2-3 million in Japan. It's certainly possible it could be more with the legs that Nintendo titles have been showing in Japan(NSMB, Brain games, Wii Sports/Play). But I honestly didn't think that Zelda would sell as poorly on Wii as it has in Japan. In the long run TP may match WW's sales there, but with the way the Wii is taking off there it should be selling better. You could say Zelda is not the blockbuster it once was in Japan, but it looks like there is plenty of interest in PH for DS. This brings me to Sunshine, which sold only marginally better than WW in Japan. That's why I think that Galaxy won't necessarily be huge on the level that NSMB is. I'm making a safe prediction of 1.5-2 million in Japan for Galaxy's lifetime sales.

I really think that Galaxy will be enormous in America, and to a lesser extent in Europe. Lifetime sales for it could reach Halo 2 levels in America. Sunshine sold pretty well here on a system that just never really took off, so I can imagine what it's going to do on a hot seller like the Wii. Also consider that a complete turd like Mario Party 8 sold over 300k in just a few days in May. Twilight Princess(Wii/GC) has pretty much already caught up to WW's American sales in less than one year and is showing legs that WW never had at the $50 price. The one thing that Galaxy may have going against it is releasing so close to Brawl, but that's more of a getting started problem, not a long term one.

Speaking of Brawl, I think it's going to end up being the Wii's best seller over it's lifetime unless you count the massive pack-in numbers of Wii Sports. SSBM had legs like no other GC game in America and Japan, and was the best seller for each. I also think that SSBM was the only GC million seller in Japan, and I don't see those numbers getting smaller with it being on the Wii. There's always the chance that it could suffer the TP paradox(not selling as well as it's predecessor on the less sucessful console), but I think Smash has great casual appeal in Japan, moreso than Zelda, and maybe even more than Mario in general(not counting NSMB).

Halo 3 is a tougher one to nail down for me. I really don't see it selling less than 2 when I first consider it, since the 360 looks to be the solid number 1 or 2 console on America(depending on how you view things), but I think most Halo 2 owners have a 360 or will be getting one this holiday season at the latest. I really don't see it pushing the system like the first Halo did the X Box. In my mind, Halo 1 sold X Box's. The obsession with Halo turned a lot of people from "bought it for Halo" fans, to straight up X Box fans. So unless MS can grow their userbase through other means, Halo 3 may have a glass ceiling around Halo 2's numbers if the 360 can only moderately outsell the original X Box. The thrashing that the 360 is giving the PS3 makes me want to say that Halo 3 will outsell Halo 2 by a decent amount, 1mil+, but the console sales seem to be running out of steam in America and Europe. A price cut will really help, but if Sony doesn't drop their price considerabley, I don't see MS dropping the 360 to $200 in enough time to make a huge difference. Considering that MS almost always loses money on the X Box division, and the fact that the faulty 360's are costing them another billion and then some, their hands may be tied for some time before they can get to $200(which will be a great price for the 360 IMO). I'm also beginning to think that maybe the "sweetspot" price this gen may be $250 for the higher end consoles(360 and PS3), instead of the traditional $200 spot. MS may not need to go as low as $200, maybe $250 is where they need to get by next holiday season. They obviously need to get to at least $300 in the meantime, or their console won't sell enough in America in non-holiday seasons to attain a strong position(against the Wii), or a dominant position(long term against the PS3).

One thing that could really throw all of this out of wack is the fact that the 360 may well be the number one console this holiday season in America and possibly Europe. If Nintendo can't meet demand in non-holiday seasons for the Wii in any territory, it won't have the millions and millions it could sell during the holidays. They have to get production way up in time for the holidays, or to be stockpiling large amounts to prepare for the holidays. If neither of these things happen for Nintendo, the 360 will be the best selling console this holiday season(at least in America and Europe).

Anyways, Galaxy outsells Halo 3 in the long run, but not out of the gate. If I have to give numbers, I'd say Halo 3 worldwide sales during the lifetime of the 360 around 9-10 million. Galaxy worldwide sales during the lifetime of the Wii around...11-13 million.

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."

Around the Network
shams said:

I think I am somewhere in the middle. Also starting to think that Halo3 will NOT sell anywhere near the number of units Halo 2 did - thanks to the PS3 and general shooter competition (it didn't have much competition in terms of a SciFi shooter - last gen).

Galaxy:

Japan - 4m (lifetime)
USA - 6m
Europe - 4m

Total: 14m

Halo 3:

Japan - 100k

USA - 7m

Europe - 3m

Total: 10.1m

I think I'll agree with these numbers, except .5m less for Halo (taken from USA and Europe evenly).

People seem to forget the potential of the Wii for FPS, the engine that MP3 will introduce to the gaming world, and my predictions that the Wii will become the FPS console in a year.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Bodhesatva said:
Legend11 said:
Kind of an weird comparison considering Halo 3 is really only strong in one market and also the fact that the Wii will have a larger installed base. It would make more sense to compare SSBB to Galaxy.

Good point. How about we ask which will sell better in the American market? Halo wins, obviously :p

In fact, I think Halo could outsell Mario Galaxy if it was only in the American market, and SMG was worldwide. Just a guess, but we'll see.

I think it's pretty fair to guess that Galaxy will easy outsell Halo 3 world wide but Halo 3 should easily outsell Galaxy in the US.  However, if Galaxy is a superb game and the Wii's installed base does as we expect and surpasses the 360's installed base, there is a slight chance that Galaxy would outsell Halo 3 in all three regions.

At the moment, however, there is far more hype in the US for Halo 3.  Nintendo will very likely still have too much demand to meet it this holiday season and for a significant portion of 2008, so Halo should have far better immediate numbers than Galaxy.  I'd expect Galaxy to be outselling Halo 3 a year from now, however.

TheBigFatJ said:
Bodhesatva said:
Legend11 said:
Kind of an weird comparison considering Halo 3 is really only strong in one market and also the fact that the Wii will have a larger installed base. It would make more sense to compare SSBB to Galaxy.

Good point. How about we ask which will sell better in the American market? Halo wins, obviously :p

In fact, I think Halo could outsell Mario Galaxy if it was only in the American market, and SMG was worldwide. Just a guess, but we'll see.

I think it's pretty fair to guess that Galaxy will easy outsell Halo 3 world wide but Halo 3 should easily outsell Galaxy in the US.  However, if Galaxy is a superb game and the Wii's installed base does as we expect and surpasses the 360's installed base, there is a slight chance that Galaxy would outsell Halo 3 in all three regions.

At the moment, however, there is far more hype in the US for Halo 3.  Nintendo will very likely still have too much demand to meet it this holiday season and for a significant portion of 2008, so Halo should have far better immediate numbers than Galaxy.  I'd expect Galaxy to be outselling Halo 3 a year from now, however.

I guess it really depends on what the total # of consoles shipped turns out to be. At 10 million Wii/360 I think Halo would definitely win worldwide, but 25 million Wiis / 15 million 360s? Whenever Nintendo grows up and starts producing more consoles, Galaxy will definitely come through in the end.

Considering how popular worldwide Mario is, and the probability of the Wii surpassing the 360 total before September even hits, Mario will outsell Halo. It's just a matter of when.

Halo wins USa, Mario the galaxy hahahah.