By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So come on then - who had the best conference??

rocketpig said:
ckmlb said:

They did say it was pre-alpha. We saw a tiny level too.

They can call it what they want but when a game is playable with polished textures, physics, and graphics, I have a hard time calling it "pre-alpha". Sounds like they're blowing their own horn on this one to imply that the game is somehow going to improve graphically many times over when we know that's not going to be the case.

Pre-alpha

Sometimes a build known as pre-alpha is issued, before the release of an alpha or beta. In contrast to alpha and beta versions, the pre-alpha is not "feature complete". When it is used, it refers to all activities performed during the software project prior to software testing. These activities can include requirements analysis, software design, software development and unit testing.

Pre-Alpha simply means it has yet to be submitted for Software Testing. Has nothing to do with how nice the texture look or anything. ts merely a stage of development and its probably ture since this is the first time we have ever seen the game. 

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
BTW, was I the only one who left the MGS4 trailer feeling a little unimpressed with the graphics? The trailer looked cool story-wise but everything just looked... flat. Was I expecting too much out of this game?

I agree... Hideo Kojima said it was in-game and not prerendered before the demo began so I thought maybe it was going to look incredible and people would have wondered if it was prerendered had he not said something, but after the demo began I was surprised at how plain it looked compared to some of the other trailers, especially the look of the vehicles and other characters in the game.  It's almost like it's looking dated now considering the stuff we're seeing in Call of Duty 4 and other games.

LET THE BATTLE OF PRE-ALPHA, ALPHA and BETA SEMANTICS BEGIN!!!

I am still very one the edge about giving this one to Sony because the more that I think about it the more I realize that Sony only gave us what we expected and what we already have seen. Nintendo could have and probably should have spent more of the time that they did showing people talking about the Wii and using it demoing Smash and Mario Galaxy and all the other games just like Sony did. Would that have been an A then? Instead they showed off two extremely promising gaming peripherals. Revealed a new game which will in all likelihood outsell MGS4, FF13, and Killzone 2 combined. The presentation was great, they revealed a new exclusive first party title.

Sony - more of the same, more of the same, acquisition of NCsoft, 2 new exclusives, TERRIBLE performance.

I am starting to go for a tie between Sony and Nintendo.

Gballzack said:
LET THE BATTLE OF PRE-ALPHA, ALPHA and BETA SEMANTICS BEGIN!!!

Heheh, exactly. Go ahead Steve, it's a pre-alpha. I really don't care enough to argue about it. There are plenty of other things to discuss. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

The wii surprised ME!!!!!! i mean WiiFIT looks to suck more causal people into gaming....Nintendo did it again...there more right now aiming to a totally different market right now....just by Miyamoto saying he's more focused on seeing WiiFit than anything else they present....i gonna buy a ps3 but only when they can hit that $400 sweet spot...no games out now and in the future...can make me play with my wallet to just fork out $500 now....but i congratluate nintendo...and sony u did good also...that psp is a sweet looking piece of hardware and i want a white one bad!!

Legend11 said:
rocketpig said:
BTW, was I the only one who left the MGS4 trailer feeling a little unimpressed with the graphics? The trailer looked cool story-wise but everything just looked... flat. Was I expecting too much out of this game?

I agree... Hideo Kojima said it was in-game and not prerendered before the demo began so I thought maybe it was going to look incredible and people would have wondered if it was prerendered had he not said something, but after the demo began I was surprised at how plain it looked compared to some of the other trailers, especially the look of the vehicles and other characters in the game.  It's almost like it's looking dated now considering the stuff we're seeing in Call of Duty 4 and other games.

Same here. The vehicles, buildings, and backgrounds were what did it for me. I saw the footage and immediately thought "well, other than Snake himself, this looks EXACTLY LIKE GRAW (the first one, not the second)". The textures were very bland.

I'll still buy the game and I eagerly await to see how the series ends but I really expected more out of the PS3 and Kojima, especially with how much that guy was talking how it could never be done on anything other than PS3.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

steverhcp02 said:
Possum5454 said:
1.nintendo (just for the wii balance board)
2.sony
3.MS

really? you think the balance board is better than NCsoft going exclusive to Playstation, InFamous, Haze and UT3 exclusive through the holidays, PSP redesign and a crazy bundle of PSP lite, Daxter, Family guy and 1gb mem stick for $199.99, exclusive star wars battlefront PSP game, Killzone 2 kicking booty with a pre alpha build, Home integration on PC (booting directly into games with friends from home demonstrated) Singstar/myspace page for Singstar PS3. UT3 having mods and sony embracing it etc.

interesting how a concept that existed on the original NES beats what sony showed, but to each his own.

Yeah, really. After all we're just talking about a device that as a shot at outselling... oh I don't know - the PS3 (*). Maybe, then, you should have a little respect for the entirely subjective opinion of those who actually liked it. Notice how before you came along everybody was giving they're own subjective opinions on the matter, without fealling the need to bash anyone else's. I respect your opinion, man, I seriously do - for those of you who like action packed games, Sony's conference was without a doubt the best. That's not the entire audience, though.

(*) If you think that's crazy, take a moment to consider that: a) Wii Fit is Wii Sports/Play material, Wii Play being at PS3 levels in the US right now; b) the game may very well get bundled like Wii Sports in the future; c) the Balance Board will be available separately, and it seemed open to other games, probably 3rd party too; d) Wii owners already assume they'll have to buy extra remotes and stuff; and e) multiplayer with at least 2 devices per console was already demoed at the show. Yes, maybe it's an off chance, but I definitely wouldn't write it off as impossible.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

I wasn't particularly impressed by anything that any of the press conferences had on display; in particular, I didn't see any one annoucement that 'rocked' E3 ...

With that said, I think Sony delivered a conference which gave current PS3 owners (and people who intend to buy a PS3) a lot to be excited about ...

I could be wrong but, I expect Nintendo's annoucement of Wii Fit can not be under estimated; their  annoucement of Brain Training was not well recieved in 2005 but it is/was one of the most important videogames released in recent years.

NorthStar said:
1.Sony
2.Nintendo
3.Microsoft

I don't get you guys talking about Nintendo wins the press confrence if you are a casual gamer? 1st of all most "casual gamers" do not give a shit about E3 . Obviously if you are a Nintendo fan Nintendo's releases are what you are looking for. I was hoping for more mature themed games not all about the same ol same ol . Wii fit looked intresting.

Looking at an objective view Sony nailed it mostly the Price and lack of games were issues and those issues were addressed with Vigor. Added to the fact they showcased Home looks like Live will have a Rival. Also was impressed with NCsoft deal (Played City of Heroes Lineage and Guild Wars liked them all)

As for Microsoft if you bought a 360 for Halo you made a Great choice but for the time after that Microsoft doesnt look like they have much of a plan.

Casuals don't look at E3, but they look at the WSJ, google news, Cable News, etc.  And Wiifit will be on all of those, in fact it already is, Duh

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)