By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 & Xbox 360 - Are They Living Up To Expectations?

after the mammoth called the rrod all expectations for the 360 went down the drain. as for the ps3 it is performing better know then many people would ever have guest but is that an achievement, i guess not being as they were destined to be on first.

Around the Network
obieslut said:
after the mammoth called the rrod all expectations for the 360 went down the drain. as for the ps3 it is performing better know then many people would ever have guest but is that an achievement, i guess not being as they were destined to be on first.

PS3 has trophies, not achievements.

360 expectations: Expected it to do really well considering the bad press on the ps3. However, it isn't doing anywhere near as good as it should be, considering the 1-1.5 year head start and cheaper price tag. Considering they have bought out many PS3 exclusives, again it has failed to reach my expectations. Thinking it offers a lot of games on a cheaper console that the ps brand would have normally have as an exclusive, i thought it would increase it sales respectably, but they didnt.

Looking at the previous gen, i also expected a better made console from MS. the Xbox was way better in every way then the ps2. It seems the 360 took a huge step back for the sake of profits. The Xbox came with a standard hardrive, now you have to pay ridiculous amounts of money for one! The faults made to offer a quality product took second to making a reliable console for the sake of profits, as a result creating the RROD saga and the circle of scratches on games due to not wanting to pay for 4 tiny rubber pieces to be put in where the laser is :s I thought MS LIve would step it up a gear considering they have had a head start but they didn't. they allowed Sony not only to gain, but what seems soon to give an ass whooping to them for being lazy and greedy *FACEPALM* at MS ... the shame :(

PS3 expectations: I thought it was going to have a seizure and die. The bad press, the bad launch games, the loss of exclusives, the price tag and the big gamble of the BR player. It is starting to triumph MS in almost every aspect now. Even MS LIve is becoming a thing of the past with the PSN upgrades and HOME. For being in 3rd place however, serves Sony right. This is what they get for taking their customers for granted and not taking their competitors seriously. It has cost them and although the PS3 has surpassed my expectations, doesn't mean it will see half the success the ps2 and ps1 have seen.

The Xbox360 exceeded my expectations. I bought it first day and I never ever regret it. I expected good games and I got them. I didn't expect something like Xbox Live Arcade, Video on Demand, Gamerscore (which I don't care about though), and with the new Xbox experience, things will look better and better.

The Wii is a disappointment for me. I am a Nintendo fan. I don't have a Gamecube, so I was really looking forward to play a new Zelda with a great HD-graphics. The next Nintendo with great hardware and the ability to play my games with a regular controller, will be mine. I want Zelda! But not this generation. Played the Wii just a couple of times and never liked it. Games seem to be too childish for me. It is just not my taste.

PS3 was simply a big LOL for the first 18 months. There is still just one exclusive game (MGS4) that looks really nice. But the genre isn't my taste. I am not a stealth fan at all. But if I were, this game would be great for me. So there is still not one single game I would love to play. Uncharted looks decent, but nothing special. I guess the right time to buy a PS3 is still 10 months away. This is no flame, but the PS3 just doesn't appeal to me right now. Maybe some time in the future.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

I love my 360. I have had 1 rrod and I really could care less. I love my Halo 3 as you can see in my sig. I started a GameFly account last month to catch up on the huge number of games I haven't played.

Around the Network
starcraft said:
PS3: Hasn't, and almost certainly never will, come anywhere NEAR the expectations.

Xbox 360: In almost every respect (sales, game numbers, game quality, profitability) it has exceeded expectations, with the glaringly obvious exception of hardware reliability.

Now I know you work for Microsoft, as no one else would ever care about those things with respect to a new console coming out. Well, I guess the extreme fanboy would. Are you an extreme fanboy?

OT: Yes both of them have, with the exception of my 360 breaking, and games being delayed on the PS3. between waiting a few months or shelling out another $300 (I got a good deal on an elite), I would rather wait a few months.

The x360 passed my expectations, as it did a relative succes, especially in NA, but i still wouldn´t buy it. The paid Live is a down for me.
As for the ps3, well, is a good console, way better than the ps2 as plataform for games, but still lacking as a whole game experience like the ps2 was. The expectations for it´s performance in market was a let down for everyone, I think, since everybody was expecting ahuge ps2 like success, but they shoot themselves in the foot. I for example, had to buy a BC less SKu because of the price. There are plenty of ps2 games I wanted to play, but now I can´t. And it seems that they will stop to produce any BC SKU, since the new 80GB don´t have it. Another disapointment and bad move. How many Ps2 owners don´t have a new gen yet? How many would buy a ps3 if it was at $300 with BC?

VASCO DA GAMA CAMPEÃO DA COPA DO BRASIL!!!

CONGRATULATIONS VASCÃO

VICE É O CARALH*

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future......NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

360 exceeded my expectation. I didn't expect much...

PS3 so far has not met my expectations. Too soon to count it out, and I still might get one. Was planning on just having the wii to keep me happy for a year or so and get the PS3 later. Right now, the wii exceeded my expectations (at lots of games in the pipeline), and so I might not ever bother with a 360 or PS3. (Although with price cuts, and the game library, the 360 is more tempting then I expected at this point).

TheRealMafoo said:
starcraft said:
PS3: Hasn't, and almost certainly never will, come anywhere NEAR the expectations.

Xbox 360: In almost every respect (sales, game numbers, game quality, profitability) it has exceeded expectations, with the glaringly obvious exception of hardware reliability.

Now I know you work for Microsoft, as no one else would ever care about those things with respect to a new console coming out. Well, I guess the extreme fanboy would. Are you an extreme fanboy?

OT: Yes both of them have, with the exception of my 360 breaking, and games being delayed on the PS3. between waiting a few months or shelling out another $300 (I got a good deal on an elite), I would rather wait a few months.

Ouch, it broke and warrenties did not cover it?  I might have some ire towards M$ as well.

The 360 exceeded every expectation, the PS3 however, didn't live up to its legendary predecessors... the PS3 will end this generation as a great console, but won't annihilate everyone like the good old PS2 did.