By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 'Consoles Are A Problem' and 'A Step Backwards,' Says Oddworld Creator

Squilliam said:
ssj12 said:
blackstar said:
shio said:
blackstar said:
pc gaming sucks
i have to spend $$$$$$$$$$ to get a decent pc that can play games

You think $500 is too expensive??

500$????????????????

where do u live??

he really isnt kidding, for main hardware thats all you really need to spend unless you want to run Crysis on high or in DX10 very high mode then its between $750 - $850.

$850 - That gives you Vista 64, 500gb HDD, 4gb Ram, 3ghz Core 2 Duo, Radeon 4850, and high quality Case/Motherboard.

$600 for the above specs with a 9600gt and an Athlon X2 2.8ghz.

$500 for the above specs with a 320gb HDD, Average Case/PSU combo/2gb ram.

$400 for the above specs with a 250gb HDD, Athlon X2 2.2ghz, Radeon 4650 (Aprox)

i gotta move to ur countries :D

Around the Network

computers really aren't too expensive anymore, i see good computers that go for $400-600 on web sites like newegg and tigerdirect. and pc's are good for tons of other stuff too. BUT imo i think consoles (xbox 360) are generally more fun.

RTS i prefer on pc, every other genre i like better on my xbox 360.

-edit-

Ignore this post, feel like asking that question in another thread

akuma587 said:
Somebody better tell him that like it or not:

1) Consoles are a better and more convenient gaming option for most consumers.
2) PC gamers who are willing to spend the money on a gaming rig know how to pirate games.

2) Just because we're smart enough to know how to pirate doesn't mean we all do. And don't bring up Crysis because that was the most pirated PC game in a loong time, and it's just because it was hyped to hell and had massive system requirements. Nobody wanted to spend $50 on a 50/50 chance the game would run like crap on their computer. That's the only PC game I've pirated in the past two years, and I've bought about 15 full priced PC games this past year (a decent amount for my typical budget).

1) I agree that consoles are more convenient for most consumers. Opium for the less technologically-inclined masses. I absolutely love my PC, love PC gaming, and love playing PC games with my friends. We all have basic understanding of how to build a computer or how to pay a friend a little money to build a computer for them.

The PC community is the most mature I'd argue, since it takes some basic intelligence to have a good gaming rig...with consoles you get it all...some good some bad, some absolutely annoying and smash-your-head-on-a-wall stupid...and it's annoyed me enough that I never want to get into that.

I didn't agree that consoles are a problem though...we need something for the masses like I said.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I disagree...I love console gaming and PC gaming will never do it for me. I believe that the best games are for consoles...please don't shove metacritic or gamerankings up my ass for saying that.

Around the Network

In other words, he wants to rush incomplete games to market so he can get people to pay extra for features that should have been in the game's initial release. It was a serious blow to gaming when PC folks started to tolerate that kind of scam, and I sure as hell don't want to see it get popular on consoles.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Let's talk about OMG EXPENSIVE PC gaming:

I'm not going to lie: You will need to upgrade your PC every couple years...sometimes just a video card or some memory...after a few years you might just need to build a whole new one.

It ain't no $2000 or even $1000 though. On hardware alone, I probably spend an average of $350 per year. That's a $500 whole computer last year, and a $200 upgrade for the video card and a shiny new case (not a necessary upgrade mind you) this year. Next year, I'll probably get a new video card, maybe for around $200. Who knows. Then the year after that I'll probably have to drop $500 on a bunch of new parts since my processor will be holding me back.

$350 for hardware per year, $30 average price for a PC game (I wait for price drops, and they're FAST), 12 games a year...that's $360 + $350 = $710 a year on PC gaming.

$300 for initial 360 let's say, 12 games a year at let's say $40, and I'm totally being fair, because a lot of games stick to $60 or $50...no exaggeration...console games really cost more. That's $780 for the first year, over $800 with XBL gold. The second year it's going to be $480 for just games.

So using that quick, simplified run-through, PC gamers pay over $700 a year on gaming, console gamers pay under $500 a year on gaming.

OH TEH NOES IS SO MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE!  I CAN NOTS AFFORD

And yes I know it's more expensive in some countries...a majority of people here are in NA though, and it's very affordable here, and I assume decent in Europe.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

twesterm said:
Squilliam said:
twesterm said:
Yeah, but how long will that $500 computer last? I'm not trying to get into a console vs. PC argument, I just hate it when people start throwing prices out there but then don't tell you how long that computer will be current.

I had a $3000 laptop that was just over 3 years old and it can't play anything that's coming out now. True laptops are more expensive but that doesn't change the fact it was an incredible laptop. I would often have the laptop running at 1900x1200, another monitor running at 1680x1050, Photoshop CS2 running with very large files open, 3DSMax open, whatever editor I happened to be working in (and when I was working in Source I usually had FacePoser open too), iTunes open, and Outlook open with everything running very smooth.

If I tried to run any current games like Gears or whatever it just couldn't run that and the few games I could run I had to run everything at very low settings.

So yeah, my 3 year old kickass laptop is nearly obsolete today. What makes me think a $500 PC would run anything in 3 years?

Because the consoles are so powerful in the software market, The specs for most games are not likely to increase much over the next 4-5 years. A more powerful PC can play them faster with higher resolutions but the demands aren't likely to change much in that time.

So if they don't change that much for 4-5 years, again, why would my 3 year old kickass laptop be nearly obsolete?

I remember even Oblivion even pushing it pretty hard and Neverwinter Nights 2 pushed it *really* hard so that I had to have settings turned down and even had to read tweak guides just to get them to run well.

-edit-

And before you point out I know nothing about gaming PC's or laptops (because I don't) it wasn't me that picked it out, it was the school I went to that picked them out.  Part of your tuition is devoted towards buying about the best possible laptop at the time of enrolling and each term you pay off a little more. 

And I only guess at the $3000 mark, they told us the cost once but that was 3 years ago and I only remember it was really high and that number included the software so I also take down the number (the number was originially over $4000, I do remember that).

Core 2 processors were only released in 2006, for a laptop that would mean you'd be using a lower clocked Pentium M right? Which would be wholly inadeqaure compared to consoles of today.

Also the GPU of those times in a laptop would be pretty pathetic, remember it has to operate in a power envelope thats about the same size as a Nintendo Wii.

Tease.

Consoles aren't a problem usually, it just seems to be that this gen is exceedingly boring, is all.

Honestly don't remember what was in it and unfortunately I can turn it on but I can't really see anything since my graphics card when kaputz. >_