By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 'Consoles Are A Problem' and 'A Step Backwards,' Says Oddworld Creator

@Garcian Smith

I'm only stating facts.

greenmedic88 said:
Garcian Smith said:
We get it already, shio. You love PCs and hate consoles. Maybe a forum that's dedicated primarily to consoles, you know, isn't for you.

I wasn't going to say it, but since someone else was kind enough to point this out...

With all the PC centric sites available, both for hardware geeks and PC gaming geeks, why would a self professed PC elitist be wasting their time on a site dedicated to console sales?

Because I had a Wii, and played on X360 when I joined. I eventually sold my Wii but I still use the 360 sometimes.

And I like numbers!

Around the Network
shio said:
@Garcian Smith

I'm only stating facts.

Regardless of the factual content of your posts, your continued string of PC-elitist, anti-console posts and threads in a forum dedicated explicitly to consoles is basically the equivalent of a vegan frequenting a forum dedicated to meat preparation. You won't win anyone over, and you just serve to incite a bunch of bickering and arguments.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

While he doesn't really mention Xbox Live, Wii Ware, or the Playstation Network, I'm thinking he's talking about developing bigger games.

I think he has a point in that with the PS3 and 360 requiring more money to develop games on. Not only that, this week the development cost of Sins of a Solar Empire is said to be around or under a million, and it's a good game.

That's where I see it.

BenKenobi88 said:

Let's talk about OMG EXPENSIVE PC gaming:

I'm not going to lie: You will need to upgrade your PC every couple years...sometimes just a video card or some memory...after a few years you might just need to build a whole new one.

It ain't no $2000 or even $1000 though. On hardware alone, I probably spend an average of $350 per year. That's a $500 whole computer last year, and a $200 upgrade for the video card and a shiny new case (not a necessary upgrade mind you) this year. Next year, I'll probably get a new video card, maybe for around $200. Who knows. Then the year after that I'll probably have to drop $500 on a bunch of new parts since my processor will be holding me back.

$350 for hardware per year, $30 average price for a PC game (I wait for price drops, and they're FAST), 12 games a year...that's $360 + $350 = $710 a year on PC gaming.

$300 for initial 360 let's say, 12 games a year at let's say $40, and I'm totally being fair, because a lot of games stick to $60 or $50...no exaggeration...console games really cost more. That's $780 for the first year, over $800 with XBL gold. The second year it's going to be $480 for just games.

So using that quick, simplified run-through, PC gamers pay over $700 a year on gaming, console gamers pay under $500 a year on gaming.

OH TEH NOES IS SO MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE! I CAN NOTS AFFORD

And yes I know it's more expensive in some countries...a majority of people here are in NA though, and it's very affordable here, and I assume decent in Europe.

I don't think that spending $350 a year on hardware is required, but is instead optional like if you find a really good deal on hardware throughout the year. 

Garcian Smith said:
shio said:
@Garcian Smith

I'm only stating facts.

Regardless of the factual content of your posts, your continued string of PC-elitist, anti-console posts and threads in a forum dedicated explicitly to consoles is basically the equivalent of a vegan frequenting a forum dedicated to meat preparation. You won't win anyone over, and you just serve to incite a bunch of bickering and arguments.

Interesting, because just like me being a PC fanboy, there's also dozens or hundreds of Wii/360/PS3 fanboys trying to push their (often unfounded) arguments about other platforms.

I just happen to love PC gaming, and yes, I do think console gaming is inferior but I don't hate it (I quite enjoyed my Wii). Also, there has to be someone defending PC on these forums because there's almost a daily basis of "PC gaming is dead" trolling. Infact, I only became more vocal when more and more people trolled the PC platform.

Around the Network

PC gaming is the worst...you spend alot of money to upgrade or buy a pc capable of running decent games and a few months later virus,trojans and worms slows down your pc and one day you can't boot up........

my xp crashed yesterday and i had to go into recovery mode to get it back working, i lost all my data including the movies i downloaded,i am officially done with digital downloads......this is the second time this has happened to me this year

321tttrini4everz said:
PC gaming is the worst...you spend alot of money to upgrade or buy a pc capable of running decent games and a few months later virus,trojans and worms slows down your pc and one day you can't boot up........

my xp crashed yesterday and i had to go into recovery mode to get it back working, i lost all my data including the movies i downloaded,i am officially done with digital downloads......this is the second time this has happened to me this year

A few months?

What kinds of things do you do on the internet o_0? Do you have any sort of virus scanner (AVG is a free one), spyware scanner (ad-aware is a free one), and other software to keep your computer clean (Crap Cleaner is a good one to clean up temporary data).

----

Somewhat related in terms of PC security, but I was in one of my classes this past week and the instructor started talking about computer hardware and asked who has a virus scanner. To my amazement, there were a number of students who didn't raise their hand. One student even said that she doesn't want a virus scanner because she didn't want to spend the time or money to get one.

I almost did a facepalm right then in there and I'm probably going to mention to the instructor the availablity of free software to help people protect their computers.

bdbdbd said:
@BenKenobi: You know, you're just proving the "expensive PC gaming" point further. 350 a year, means seven Wii games in a year. I've had my Wii for 19 months and i have bought 11 games for it. If we assume that Wii games cost 50 per game, i could only had just upgraded my PC, without buying any games for it. Of course, new console will need to be bought every five or six years, which is cheaper than the PC yearly update.
5x350=1750 (that's for PC harware updates)
2x300=600 (console hardware updates)
1750-600=1150 (that's the difference you are able to spend on games on consoles)
1150/50=23 (that's the number of games games you get with the money, when a game is 50 a piece)
5x12/23=2,6 (that's how often you are able to get a game with the price diffence during the five years)

Uh...you can't just take the cost of PC hardware minus the cost of Wii hardware and assume you HAVE that money.

The point isn't how many games you can buy with the cost difference.  The point is, how much would it cost you to buy, as an example, 12 games a year for either platform.  And you have to factor that into the whole deal.

In a 5 year span, your only cost is not hardware, as you made it seem there, it's also software.

And my point was PC gaming is more expensive than any of the console offerings, but not by that much...it's more like 1/3 more.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

shio said:
Garcian Smith said:
shio said:
@Garcian Smith

I'm only stating facts.

Interesting, because just like me being a PC fanboy, there's also dozens or hundreds of Wii/360/PS3 fanboys trying to push their (often unfounded) arguments about other platforms.

I just happen to love PC gaming, and yes, I do think console gaming is inferior but I don't hate it (I quite enjoyed my Wii). Also, there has to be someone defending PC on these forums because there's almost a daily basis of "PC gaming is dead" trolling. Infact, I only became more vocal when more and more people trolled the PC platform.

So it offends your sensitivities when people on a console sales tracking site declare the advantages of console gaming at the expense of PCs. 

That's your real issue.

Your problem is your opinions here aren't changing any minds. No converts. There's no need for anyone to be championing PC gaming to "defend its honor" or whatever misguided intent they may have.

Those gaming on PCs tend to stick to PC gaming forums for pretty obvious reasons; they don't need to justify or defend their preferences to anyone.

IllegalPaladin said:
321tttrini4everz said:

A few months?

What kinds of things do you do on the internet o_0? Do you have any sort of virus scanner (AVG is a free one), spyware scanner (ad-aware is a free one), and other software to keep your computer clean (Crap Cleaner is a good one to clean up temporary data).

well i got norton(not the trial)....yea i scan for viruses ever so often....i download alot of movies,read up on gaming news(PSP,PS3),chat on yahoo messenger and thats about it(also use to play medal of honor on it)

some of my files are backed up like mp3s and some movies but i am not even feeling to put them on the hard drive again