By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 'Consoles Are A Problem' and 'A Step Backwards,' Says Oddworld Creator

PC gaming is cool and all, but because a lot of people don't have them in their living room, it's not the best for social gaming.

Also, non mouse controls are better on consoles because they are custom made for the specific controller.

Around the Network

maybe he should make some decent games then all that massive investment in console games would be worth it when the money rolls in

SKEEZER AND NINTENDO FAN GIRL ARE MY NEMESIS

YES TO BEER

Nickelbackro said:
I would rather have a console I can spend $250 on and have it run all games for it perfectly for 7+ years, be comfortable playing it in a nice living room chair of bed, and have a half assed $300 Computer for 5 years that I can surf the web with (maybe not play new games on, but the discount ones play fine) and use as a multimedia hub.

Home PC's are essentially inefficient to run games on, they have to run an OS, Virus scan, other assorted background tasks, and on top of that a game on a processor not optimized for gameplay.

So you think buying today a console will last atleast 7 years full of new games, even though we're already in the middle of this gen?! So you think that this gen will last 10 years, and the next one comes in only in 2015?!

Also why compare to a $300 PC? A PC that cheap is probably only going to be used for media, but a $600 PC will CRUSH any console today! And because of the plateau of cost vs development, the thechnology will grow faster than the graphical quality of games, which means PCs will be even cheaper!

PCs are also becoming more intuitive and user-friendly, and get more exclusives.

Consoles though are becoming less intuitive and user-friendly, and get less exclusives.

@BenKenobi: You know, you're just proving the "expensive PC gaming" point further. 350 a year, means seven Wii games in a year. I've had my Wii for 19 months and i have bought 11 games for it. If we assume that Wii games cost 50 per game, i could only had just upgraded my PC, without buying any games for it. Of course, new console will need to be bought every five or six years, which is cheaper than the PC yearly update.
5x350=1750 (that's for PC harware updates)
2x300=600 (console hardware updates)
1750-600=1150 (that's the difference you are able to spend on games on consoles)
1150/50=23 (that's the number of games games you get with the money, when a game is 50 a piece)
5x12/23=2,6 (that's how often you are able to get a game with the price diffence during the five years)

Or if we count that one Wii game costs 10 more than a PC game, you need to buy 2 games in a month for the five year period, to offset the cost.

I didn't take into account the initial cost of puchasing a PC, so my calculations work in favor of PC.

Anyway, your example of pirating Crysis, pointed out one thing where guy in the OP is completely off. It makes no sense to push the specs, since then people will pirate it and if you don't push them, you're making the game for the "old" hardware, which is the same as making games for consoles.

@Topic: Yeah, it was pretty much BS. Why didn't he point out that browser flash games are free and DMC 4 was 80€ at retail.
PC:s are a step backwards (although, the open source developement in Linuxes would be a huge step forward) with their non-standard hardware.

Ignoring the downloadable content and the price of boxed PC titles, all he did was complain about the licencing fees on consoles.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Keep in mind when you're buying a PC you have to do your research. You have to keep up on what's coming so you can build your rig to coincide with the tech jumps. I buy a rig once every ~5 years or so for ~$600 and it runs everything in that time frame and I allot myself 1 upgrade in that 5 year span.

I got a new one in 1997 and it played everything just fine until 2002. I got a RAM upgrade and nothing else and played everything up to RTCW and MOHAA with no problems.

2002 played everything just fine until 2007 when I upgraded from AGP including WoW and HL2. That's also when multi core processors really started picking up and thus far everything plays just fine maxed out, including Crysis. Saving my mid-system upgrade for Operation Flashpoint 2.

Timing more than anything is important when you buy a PC. You have to time the tech and the time it takes for that tech to become cheap enough.

By contrast I have a friend who buys every system every generation. He spends a lot more than I do on gaming. He also buys every "big" game that comes down the lane no matter how shitty it is.

For the record I never have and never will pirate a game.

I suppose the myth can be a reality when you're an early adopter of tech or you buy just before a jump and your system is immediately rendered obsolete.

Around the Network
blackstar said:
shio said:
blackstar said:
pc gaming sucks
i have to spend $$$$$$$$$$ to get a decent pc that can play games

You think $500 is too expensive??

500$????????????????

where do u live??

Ye try 1000 - 10000 if you want a good one lol

From the sound of the article, Lorne Lanning is completely oblivious to the download services provided on every console this generation.

Wiiware?
PSN?
XBL Arcade?

All inexpensive and viable alternatives to their more expensive retail, full game experiences.

It's one thing to have a legitimate opinion based upon the facts, but to completely ignore, or be completely ignorant of what is currently available demonstrates he's out of touch with the market as a developer.

greenmedic88 said:
From the sound of the article, Lorne Lanning is completely oblivious to the download services provided on every console this generation.

Wiiware?
PSN?
XBL Arcade?

All inexpensive and viable alternatives to their more expensive retail, full game experiences.

It's one thing to have a legitimate opinion based upon the facts, but to completely ignore, or be completely ignorant of what is currently available demonstrates he's out of touch with the market as a developer.

The Consoles' download services are but a fraction of the PC's Digital Distribution (which makes billions yearly).

PC's digital services also do not force you to acquire a license, and do not impose severe limitations like Wiiware/PSN/XBL do.

PC is indie/small developer heaven.

We get it already, shio. You love PCs and hate consoles. Maybe a forum that's dedicated primarily to consoles, you know, isn't for you.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Garcian Smith said:
We get it already, shio. You love PCs and hate consoles. Maybe a forum that's dedicated primarily to consoles, you know, isn't for you.

I wasn't going to say it, but since someone else was kind enough to point this out...

With all the PC centric sites available, both for hardware geeks and PC gaming geeks, why would a self professed PC elitist be wasting their time on a site dedicated to console sales?