By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 'Consoles Are A Problem' and 'A Step Backwards,' Says Oddworld Creator

A $500 computer will last as long as PS3/360, because it can support all the multi-platform games with superior visuals.

If you can't figure out how to build an awesome $500 PC, I question your dedication to gaming.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Around the Network
frybread said:

A $500 computer will last as long as PS3/360, because it can support all the multi-platform games with superior visuals.

If you can't figure out how to build an awesome $500 PC, I question your dedication to gaming.

That depends really on when you buy that $500 system. If it was in 2005 you would SOL for playing any current games at a decent framerate if at all. Now in 2008 you could spend $500 on a computer or you could walk out of gamestop with an Xbox 360 Premium and Orange Box, Oblivion, Mass Effect, Halo 3, Gears of War, Madden 2008 and Xbox 360 Live gold pack and some change.

Tease.

^Amen! I put together a new computer in 2005 ...

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Squilliam said:
frybread said:

That depends really on when you buy that $500 system. If it was in 2005 you would SOL for playing any current games at a decent framerate if at all. Now in 2008 you could spend $500 on a computer or you could walk out of gamestop with an Xbox 360 Premium and Orange Box, Oblivion, Mass Effect, Halo 3, Gears of War, Madden 2008 and Xbox 360 Live gold pack and some change.

Well, I thought this over too when I last time updated my PC. I update my PC with 600€ at the launch of X360. It has ran multiplatform(and exclusive PC) games nicely with no probs.

@Final-Fan

Maybe getting completely lost is fun for you.  I'm not being sarcastic, I know a guy who would probably consider it entertaining if he didn't have to be anywhere soon.  But not for me.  Not for most people, I bet.  So why not let those who want to know their bearings have the ability to do so?  You don't complain about having the quest log, just in case you get so distracted dicking around that you forget what you were supposed to be doing, do you?  That's happened to me a few times. 

Maybe youre right. Currently I am playing old japanese strategy games. I don't understand any japanese and first I am completely clueless, but after a while I beat AI with ease. My brains just need something to do and trip to kindergarden with adult that is holding my hand all the time isn't what I need. ;)

Anyway as you haven't even played most of those games theres no need to continue. Btw check out wii and its games. I think thats the future of consoles. Casual markets are huge.

i used to PC game but now i am exclusive to consoles. price be damned - i got tired of updating the hardware/software to keep the damn thing running. i spent nearly as much time troubleshooting my games as playing them.

put disc in - game plays - consoles ftw!!

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
i used to PC game but now i am exclusive to consoles. price be damned - i got tired of updating the hardware/software to keep the damn thing running. i spent nearly as much time troubleshooting my games as playing them.

put disc in - game plays - consoles ftw!!

Still the fastest, most convenient way to game if you don't enjoy the process of building, upgrading, maintaining and optimizing a PC.

Any true PC enthusiast should admit that the real reason for emphasizing the importance of gaming on the platform is to rationalize the expense involved in building and maintaining (upgrading) a respectable hardware rig. Not too many brag about the number of years they've managed to "get by" on the minimum hardware requirements. It's building the best performance for the least coin when on a strict budget, or preferably having the most over-specced inattainable rig (faster than yours) that can be built with the most current components.

To the PC elite, the games are practically secondary. Crysis is among the most pirated games, not because there are millions of people who love the game but are incapable of paying the $30-40 retail it sells for, but because it's one of the best applications to gauge hardware performance with. Its position as the most hardware intensive game, makes it ideal for benchmarking a rig.

For those who manage to keep the same PC for over three years, I applaud you and your ability to resist reconfiguring, upgrading and taking advantage of the ever continuing price to performance improvements in components.

But most PC enthusiasts, the real "elite" PC enthusiasts, are incapable of resisting the urge to upgrade their primary PC at every opportunity as new hardware becomes available, and the former premium hardware becomes much cheaper. Even if it's just to see Crysis run a few frames more per second.