By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 'Consoles Are A Problem' and 'A Step Backwards,' Says Oddworld Creator

There's no Nintendo games on PCs.

/thread

Around the Network

Has the Wii prevented a console market crash?

IllegalPaladin said:
While he doesn't really mention Xbox Live, Wii Ware, or the Playstation Network, I'm thinking he's talking about developing bigger games.

But he specifically mentions indie games. He basically describes a need which is filled by Wiiware and XBLA...

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Smash_Brother said:
IllegalPaladin said:
While he doesn't really mention Xbox Live, Wii Ware, or the Playstation Network, I'm thinking he's talking about developing bigger games.

But he specifically mentions indie games. He basically describes a need which is filled by Wiiware and XBLA...

Wiiware and XBLA pale in comparison to indie and freeware games made and distributed on the pc platform, shit www.addictinggames.com has tons more games then all 3 console download networks and that is only one website.

Can love bloom on the battlefield?                 Proud supporter of this gen!!!

And everyone who uses sites like addictinggames.com as their primary, or even a major source of the best quality games they play, raise their hands.

Granted, there's a lot of crap on XBL Arcade, WiiWare and PSN in terms of downloadable games, but most of the freeware games posted on free gaming sites are the equivalent of homework assignments, or hobby projects done by amateur or budding programmers/developers.

Freeware/shareware is a nice cheap alternative to retail gaming, but for the most heavy gamers, subsisting on them would be like weight lifters trying to subsist on free hors d'oeuvres.

What you'll probably see in the future is indy games being released through services like Steam, which means there will be standards for what gets the green light for distribution, just like any of the other distribution services. No need for retail copies, minimal risk, but definite quality standards.

Around the Network
Geldorn said:
Garnett said:

Consoles are for casuals who want to pick up and play PC games take intelligence.

You pretty much disproved that statement by merely making it.

Explain?

greenmedic88 said:
And everyone who uses sites like addictinggames.com as their primary, or even a major source of the best quality games they play, raise their hands.

Granted, there's a lot of crap on XBL Arcade, WiiWare and PSN in terms of downloadable games, but most of the freeware games posted on free gaming sites are the equivalent of homework assignments, or hobby projects done by amateur or budding programmers/developers.

Freeware/shareware is a nice cheap alternative to retail gaming, but for the most heavy gamers, subsisting on them would be like weight lifters trying to subsist on free hors d'oeuvres.

What you'll probably see in the future is indy games being released through services like Steam, which means there will be standards for what gets the green light for distribution, just like any of the other distribution services. No need for retail copies, minimal risk, but definite quality standards.

And one uses psn/xbla/wiiware as their primary source of entertainment? Just cause I list one site doesn't mean it's the end all of gaming, It's just an example of how varied the Games on PC medium are. You can go to plenty of other sites and get full games you pay for just the same as anything on consoles, I mean cmon you don't think I could find game like braid or castle crashers or even echnochrome online. Hell newgrounds games were made into actuall console games (alien hominid). Although I do agree that most developers are gonna band under one flag online in the future I just don't know if it would be steam.

Can love bloom on the battlefield?                 Proud supporter of this gen!!!

Garnett said:
Geldorn said:
Garnett said:

Consoles are for casuals who want to pick up and play PC games take intelligence.

Explain?

Show me even one console game that needs more brains than puzzle quest. Let say something like UFO: Enemy Unknown, Galactic Civilizations 2 or civilization 4. Ok theres civilization on consoles, but even that is dumbed down so badly that I would have to get myself a brain disorder to find it challenging.

Deneidez said:
Garnett said:
Geldorn said:
Garnett said:

Explain?

Show me even one console game that needs more brains than puzzle quest. Let say something like UFO: Enemy Unknown, Galactic Civilizations 2 or civilization 4. Ok theres civilization on consoles, but even that is dumbed down so badly that I would have to get myself a brain disorder to find it challenging.

Ufo: Enemy Unknown = SRPG type gameplay. Fire Emblem? Galactic Civ = Football management sim? JK theres no comparitive game! Civ IV is one of those easyish to play/hard to master type games. So it depends on how intense you want to play at, but I would guess most people play at Noble or lower level. Edit: Pretty easy one actually. CHESS!!! xD

Tease.

Squilliam said:
Ufo: Enemy Unknown = SRPG type gameplay. Fire Emblem? Galactic Civ = Football management sim? JK theres no comparitive game! Civ IV is one of those easyish to play/hard to master type games. So it depends on how intense you want to play at, but I would guess most people play at Noble or lower level. Edit: Pretty easy one actually. CHESS!!! xD

Sorry, Fire Emblem is only one part of UFO, you know theres lots of strategy outside fights too(Manage bases, protect earth, research, manufacture & so on...). :)

The thing I am worrying most is that many games that has been originally on the PC has been dumbed down(Usually very badly even...) to get it work in realm of consoleplayers. (Oblivion, Deus Ex, Thief...) Its like you are used to play chess and if you want to play more/newer games you are forced to play Tic-Tac-Toe.