By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 'Consoles Are A Problem' and 'A Step Backwards,' Says Oddworld Creator

I was not talking about some puzzle game i mean ALL PC games require intellegence than console games,Im not bashing console as i love mine,but it takes time to learn the Controls of the keyboard and it takes steady time to aim the mouse to shoot enemys not just hold down the fire button and spray them.

@321tttrini4everz

I dont want to sound like an A hole but,dont you take care of your computer,almost all new comps come with SOME kind of virus protection,you have to take care of it,like a car,If you buy a car and smash it up and dont take care of itand say "WTF IT SHOULD BE WORKING !!@!1111".

Of course i could be wrong about and i wasnt there so idk.

Around the Network

A mouse is easier to point and shoot with. This is practically a universal acceptance. It's the reason why some online console games like UTIII will have a stipulation for matchmaking of "mouse/keyboard" or "no mouse/keyboard allowed."

There's no steady aim involved since the crosshairs only move when the mouse moves, which is resting on a stationary desk. It is the easiest point and shoot control scheme available.

The only pointing device that trumps a mouse is a pen and tablet. Yes, more accurate than a mouse which is why most freehand professional graphics are done with a pen and tablet since drawing with a mouse is the equivalent of drawing with a bar of soap.

Learning the keys for the typical FPS game is the same as learning or assigning keys on a 12 button game pad. Most games require the user to learn the layout if they don't provide unlimited key assignment.

The only extra intelligence required in PC gaming lies in the ability to build, modify, optimize and maintain your own rig.

(If you can do all that successfully, it's more fun than playing games on a PC IMO.)

What's with all the PC vs Consoles debates all of the sudden? I got into gaming on a PC, went over to consoels with the NES, and when I was able to afford a computer I went back to PC. Some people just font have even 500 bucks for a PC.

Everyone else just can't handle PC games in all their glory!!!111!1!

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

greenmedic88 said:

Learning the keys for the typical FPS game is the same as learning or assigning keys on a 12 button game pad. Most games require the user to learn the layout if they don't provide unlimited key assignment.

Game pads and Console Controlers are different,They look simular but ALL console games have the SAME controls,So you can pick up 1 game and play it and use the same buttons,People look at Keyboard get scared and they dont take the time to learn how to use they keyboard to its full potental.

It really depends on the game,Halo uses fast paced combat,Where as Red Orchestra or ArmA 2 is meant for hardcore gamers,they dont rush out and just spray like people in Halo or COD4 do,Thats why i said Consoles are for casual gamers,Look at the console FPS market full of spray n prey games,but games like MGS4 and ArmA 2 may change things.

Also as i said for requiring intelligence,i meant that PC games you dont run out and spray and jump around *unless its a console PC game,ie BF2 and Halo*Most PC games are slow paced and require tactical stragedy and intelligence to play and not get owned.

Greenmedic i thank you for not insulting me,You stated what you did with maturity.Im glad we have some mature people on this site.

I thought a major complaint about FPS on consoles as opposed to PC was that the console stuff was too slow?

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:

The only extra intelligence required in PC gaming lies in the ability to build, modify, optimize and maintain your own rig.

(If you can do all that successfully, it's more fun than playing games on a PC IMO.)

What happened to rainbow six when it went on consoles?

When it still was on PC only you had to plan your attacks & stuff like that.

What is it now? Just another stupid FPS.

And elderscrolls?

In daggerfall you could make your own species, game was enourmous & so on. Morrowind was dumbed down version of daggerfall. And oblivion... *Heres the all knowing compass, because we know that your lvl of intelligence is lower than apes*

How about deus ex?

Take everything that made deus ex, deus ex and turn it into terrible game. For example there was no more alternative paths that would affect end result. Actually you could do anything you want and end was always the same(You could choose from different endings just in the end!). Invisible war takes 64MB(!) ram when you run it. On PC there was atleast 512MB that time. (Same goes with thief) Levels were two step in one way & load screen. -.-

And civilization on current consoles? , hahaha, you gotta be gidding me....

Oh, now they are dumbing down fallout... -.-

Want more examples?

Btw, you cannot make good AI with current consoles, because they just can't do it. If theres too many paths to choose, they will become very sluggish. Theres no similar problem with PC(Thanks to OoOE).

Final-Fan said:
I thought a major complaint about FPS on consoles as opposed to PC was that the console stuff was too slow?

Indeed, but this is the result of the clunky and slower controls, so it kinda ties in imo.

Of course the problem with PC games is that to play them in their latest and greatest incarnations on their highest possible settings, you have to be willing to pay $3000.00 every couple of years for a new Alienware rig.

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

Deneidez said:
greenmedic88 said:

What happened to rainbow six when it went on consoles?

When it still was on PC only you had to plan your attacks & stuff like that.

What is it now? Just another stupid FPS.

And elderscrolls?

In daggerfall you could make your own species, game was enourmous & so on. Morrowind was dumbed down version of daggerfall. And oblivion... *Heres the all knowing compass, because we know that your lvl of intelligence is lower than apes*

How about deus ex?

Take everything that made deus ex, deus ex and turn it into terrible game. For example there was no more alternative paths that would affect end result. Actually you could do anything you want and end was always the same(You could choose from different endings just in the end!). Invisible war takes 64MB(!) ram when you run it. On PC there was atleast 512MB that time. (Same goes with thief) Levels were two step in one way & load screen. -.-

And civilization on current consoles? , hahaha, you gotta be gidding me....

Oh, now they are dumbing down fallout... -.-

Want more examples?

Btw, you cannot make good AI with current consoles, because they just can't do it. If theres too many paths to choose, they will become very sluggish. Theres no similar problem with PC(Thanks to OoOE).

You're blaming "the consoles" for a problem that's the result of companies deciding to pander to a wider audience. In other words, you're blaming game companies for wanting to make money instead of cater to your "hardcore" tastes. Bravo.

Besides, simplifying != "dumbing down." In some cases - Deus Ex, for example - it did result in a dumbed-down game, but that was caused by Eidos going, "oh hey, that Halo game sold more than the first Deus Ex. People must love straight FPS's, so let's remove all of that RPG crap." Same thing happened with Rainbow Six.

As for your other examples...

Morrowind/Oblivion: I fail to see how Morrowind was "dumbed down" fron Daggerfall. Or, for that matter, how Daggerfall was any better than Morrowind at all. Have you ever even played Daggerfall? That game was a buggy piece of crap. Also, re the Oblivion compass, you must love wandering around aimlessly and getting lost all the time.

Civilization: Basically a different game using the Civilization name to sell more units. Not really comparable.

Fallout: Bethesda isn't "dumbing down" Fallout. Instead, they're taking the slow, clunky turn-based combat system from the first two games and revamping it into something that should be considerably more exciting. Sure, the idiots over at No Mutants Allowed will complain that it's not a 2D, hex-based, isometric game, but whatever; the rest of us will be enjoying it just fine.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

hey playing pc is way better than with a console. The problem is, with a console you don´t have to worry, you buy it, buy the game and that´s it. With a pc there´s the compatibility and evereything. But the well customized pc has more processing power, better graphics and can afford having both pc gameplay and consoles pads. I bougth a console only because of the games that pc didn´t have and also because all the attention the consoles have being receiving, with better games and all. But if any of you played a FPS in a pc or a action, you cant´say that with a console it´s better. Strategy games can´t even enter the comparison. Just look what they did to CIV. It´s cool and everything, but is too simple.
There´s other thing about pc: you built it. It´s your baby. It´s more expensive? Sure, but you can customize all you want, whilst consoles are prety much closed pcs, that can´t be upgraded till next gen. The coolest part of a console is the fact that you can paly in your living room with friends, but the game producers have a way better turf to play with a pc than with plataforms. the games can afford to be deep, cause you can make use of the latest tech. the consoles never use the latest because otherwise they get too expensive, ike ps3 got. So you can love your console, like I do, but we can afford too overlook pc gaming, because that´s too much potential in it.

VASCO DA GAMA CAMPEÃO DA COPA DO BRASIL!!!

CONGRATULATIONS VASCÃO

VICE É O CARALH*

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future......NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E