By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 'Consoles Are A Problem' and 'A Step Backwards,' Says Oddworld Creator

'Consoles Are A Problem' and 'A Step Backwards,' Says Oddworld Creator

Though many celebrate consoles for bringing video games into the mainstream, developer Lorne Lanning believes that consoles are holding the industry back due to rising development costs.

"I think the consoles are a problem," he told GameDaily BIZ. "Years ago I was excited about consoles, but anything that makes development more expensive, rather than better, faster, cheaper, I think is a step backwards."

The creator of console titles such as Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (PC, PSX) and Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (Xbox), Lanning sees the PC market as more exciting because the platform allows "for more smaller games to be sold that can be delivered to anyone who's connected at much lower price points."

He added: "There's a big difference between spending $50 or $60 on a game and hoping I love it and buying a game for $5 and then buying additional content for that game, so by the time I have invested $50 in it I really love it and I've personalized it a lot more to what I'm interested in."

Curiously, Lanning makes no mention of the cheap downloadable games that are available to PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii owners. While full-fledged console titles are usually priced between $40 and $60, downloadable releases are typically priced between $5 and $15, with more content often available post-release.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54601

Around the Network

Abes Oddysee FTW, Consoles FTW Shio ;)

Oyvoyvoyv Said: 

I agree completely. With consoles, you move one step backwards and move 2 forward

And computers are one step forward, and two steps backwards

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Consoles are the future of gaming

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

Tst,tst.
PC fanboy. ;)

Tempus fugit Nintendo manet.

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Member - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Regular - Pass 2k
Level 4 - Addicted - Pass 5k
Level 5 - Obsessed - Pass 10k
Level 6 - Old Guard - Pass 20k
Level 7 - Legend - Pass 50k
Level 8 - Demi-God - Pass 100k
Level 9 - God - Pass 250k
Level 10 - Zeus - Pass 500k

New Table:

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Rookie - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Padawan - Pass 10k
Level 4 - Sea Dog - Pass 25k
Level 5 - Captain - Pass 50k
Level 6 - Agent - Pass 100k
Level 7 - Elite - Pass 175k
Level 8 - Hero - Pass 250k
Level 9 - Legend - Pass 500k
Level 10 - Titan - Pass 1 Million

Around the Network

He doesn't really make a strong argument...I'm a huge PC fan but there's a place for consoles too...there's pros and cons on both sides.

I just bought the two Oddworld games on Steam this week...brings back great memories.

Consoles are by no means the "future of gaming" haha...but they're great for casual local multiplayer fun.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

He's got a point, but the consoles are bridging the gap to smaller cheaper games quite nicely lately.

And I think PC gaming sucks.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

pc gaming sucks
i have to spend $$$$$$$$$$ to get a decent pc that can play games

blackstar said:
pc gaming sucks

You think $500 is too expensive??

shio said:
blackstar said:
pc gaming sucks

You think $500 is too expensive??

I certainly do.... but then I am a Wii owner.