By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Who thinks X360>Wii on 9/11 in Japan?

MIKE7388 said:
come on man thats unrealistic even with the price drop. the ps3 cant outsell the wii in japan. i dont see the 360 outselling the ps3 in japan that week. it takes a real good game for the 360 to even outsell the ps3 in japan...like ToV. but besides that one week, from there on its all history man

The Playstation 3 has beaten the Wii at least 4 times in the past year: 3 weeks when the PS3 White + Price drop occured, and once when MGS4 launched (or was it 2 weeks when MGS4 launched?).

So it's not unprecidented for the PS3 to beat the Wii for a few weeks here and there, given the right conditions.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
TheSource said:

Stickball:

1) One Piece Unlimited Cruise is debuting for Wii on Sept 11. Its currently in the top twenty preorders for Japan (from the same source as the preliminary data). Could do ~30k-60k week one.

2) Infinite Undiscovery preorders are ~30kish right now based on the same set of info. Tales preorders were ~65k a week before launch (which is where we are now for IU). I think IU will likely do 48k-55k week one.

3) When Tales launched, 360 had supply issues. But, if it hadn't, my theory is the roof would have been somewhere in the 30-45k range. You have to remember that people bought 360s in the weeks running up to Tales too, and as far as I'm concerned, thats the reason for the diminished supply rather than the one week speak to 24k. IU in theory will be a smaller bump because of the state of the preorders (though preorders != anything near first week sales say 30% of the time).

So, overall I'm thinking something like 23k Wii (One Piece boost of maybe 2k from previous week), and 18k 360. The price drop went into effect on what day for 360? If it was say, Sept 5, then we'd see something like 3k week ending 8/31, 9k week ending 9/7, then 18k (double) for the week ending 9/14 on the price drop + game.

The price drop occurs the exact same day IU launches in Japan - 9/11/08. Thats why I am arguing a very acute bump in sales: A small rush for IU + X360's, demand for the console in general, and then new adopters due to the price cut, culminating in 1 very very good week, similarly to Ace Combat 6 last year, but better performance after the big inital push.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Is it really that important that 360 sells more then Wii for just 1 week??

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

mrstickball said:
For those saying the Wii will sell X number of units due to MkWii, or other games: Why is the Wii down more than 400,000 units from last year?

I don't understand the logic behind saying the Wii is going to randomly increase sales during a normally bad period for it. I can understand those that may argue the validity of my question happening....But I think it more has to do with if the Xbox 360 can get over 20,000 sales during the week, and not a matter of the Wii having some sort of bump in 2 weeks due to a new One Piece game.

Because Japan is not what it used to be and the Wii created a new selling pattern ;) Things are to weird in Japan now for us to be able to tell a 100% certain prediction IMO..

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

nah...

Around the Network

If it takes huge releases like Dynasty Warriors and MGS4 to move the ps3 past the wii for a week there is no way a new IP can help the 360.

Delusional.

I think it has a big chance. With the supply problems for last few weeks (which shuld increase demand for week in question), price drop, IU release and very bad Wii sales last week (that imo are going to drop further, just like last year) it may be the biggest chance for X360 to be on top in Japan.

Unless X360 will fall in shortage again.

it could be: my prediction

at least plenty x360 in stock, not like when vesperia releasde, then it could be:

wii: 30K
X360: 25K
PS3: 7.5K

The Wii sold 35k according to MC, so wheres the 20k range you were talking about?

You can choose to go by Famitsu numbers, but MC says hi.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12673475&postcount=106

Take a look at that post from a guy at Neogaf, very interesting.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies