By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Who thinks X360>Wii on 9/11 in Japan?

To give people a better understanding of how low the Wii is dipping I have this graph of 2007 vs 2008 Japan sales

As you can see, the Wii was at ~30k on 8/24, and in 3 weeks (week ending 9/14), it could easily be at or below 20k.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

I am going to agree with mrstickball.

If there are no supply issues, then the price drop plus IU could put the 360 past the Wii for one week.

Possible but not probable.

Dallinor -

The Xbox 360 sold 24,000+ units the week Tales of Vesperia launched. It effectively sold out of units available in most parts of the country. So there is a precedent that the Xbox 360 can move hardware if the right game comes out.

And FYI: 5 Top weeks in Japan for the X360

Week H/W Sales New Game Other Notes
1st Week, Dec. 2006 35,343 Blue Dragon Core launched ~4wks before. BD Bundle
1st Week, Aug 2008 24,962 Tales of Vesperia Sold out countrywide. ToV bundle ~10k (sold out)
1st Week, Jan. 2007 18,235 None Continued uber sales of Blue Dragon (by comparison)
1st Week, Nov. 2007 17,673 Ace Combat 6 + Budget Games Price Drop + Pack-In Titles (FM2, VP)
3rd Week, Dec. 2006 17,213 Lost Planet 2 Weeks after Blue Dragon

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

why not.there will be a X360>Wii soner or later for the first time ever

Around the Network

Wow, u r really hoping that ToV is THAT important that it will cause xbox 360 HW sales to sky rocket and pass the Wii. The 360 with the launch of ToV sold 25k great numbers, it still didn't pass the Wii, and I know that it sold out so if it wasn't supply constrained, it may have out sold the Wii. Although that MAY have been true, that was on launch, which is like 4 weeks (I think) before the said date (9/11). I'm pretty sure that those who wanted to play it did, and those that were some wat interested in it, have lost interest. I doubt that the 360 will pass PS3, let alone the Wii.

Edit: Didn't read that IU was launching, sorry about that. Anyways, I doubt that an unreleased IP will do something that a known and loved franchise like the Tales series was not capable of doing.

There is a decent chance, but I do still think it is unlikely

mrstickball said:
For those saying the Wii will sell X number of units due to MkWii, or other games: Why is the Wii down more than 400,000 units from last year?

I don't understand the logic behind saying the Wii is going to randomly increase sales during a normally bad period for it. I can understand those that may argue the validity of my question happening....But I think it more has to do with if the Xbox 360 can get over 20,000 sales during the week, and not a matter of the Wii having some sort of bump in 2 weeks due to a new One Piece game.

OMG! I actually agree with you

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

It's been proven in Japan that games sell the console, not the price. PS3 has had 2 price drops while sales didn't increase at all!

So yeah, the 360 will see a boost and will probably outsell the PS3 because of Infinite Undiscovery. But it is a new IP and has received mediocre-okay reviews as of now, so the effect won't be as big as the effect ToV had.

Anything can happen, but I wouldn't count on it.

According to VGChartz

Number of times Wii under 30k this year: 1
Number of times 360 over 20K since Wii launch: 1

Only thing in favor of this hypothesis is that both happened very recently.

Thus, is this possible: YES. Is it probable: NO.
Is it worthy of discussion: YES.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV