By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony on PS3: You're "paying for potential"

trestres said:
Then why would people buy a PS3 now at the current high price, when a cheaper one on its full potential will be coming in the future?

Weird.

Well I'm glad i bought the 60gig ^_^ because now they don't make em anymore =/ that's why they would have now? i dont know i thought UK got the 80gig version now?

Around the Network
goddog said:
@profcrab, while i do understand the history of the sales and introduction. the scales of economics in the market has changed. it makes no senesce to kill a profitable console, especial when you are just starting to recoup money made on it. thats one of the big differences, Nin has always made consoles under selling cost so they could cut an run as needed, sega tried, but kept cutting theirs too soon... which lead to their exit.

If microsoft lets a new system out before 2012, it will hurt them, sales on that console will not be as good as the 360. no matter how good that system is. it will also loose developer support. right now i feel the 360 is right where ms wants it to be, maybe just a little uncofrotable in europe. but they are making lots of money off third parties, and hardware costs are under control.

third parties make more money and games get churnd out quicker as the generation progresses because of creation of base assets, and ending this gen early, before 2012 will, sour their realtionship

im heading my bet here, because i fell 2014-2016 would be better but pushing it, though if digital distribution becomes common less of a factor. at that time there would be the risk of being undercut on the next gen by sony or nintendo.

honestly the biggest indicator will be the next two holliday seasons i expect the 360 sales to peak in 2010 and ps3 sales to peak in 2012 if they do not let on the release of a ps4 in 2012 which would be detrimental to ps3 sales. ninteno is free to do what they want

If it were not for nvidia killing the production of the graphics chips, the Xbox would have been sold long into the life of the 360.  Competition drives the release of new consoles, however, many of the older consoles will be sold after the price has dropped low and the newer system is already out.  The next Xbox will come out in the same cycle as it has before because graphic technology has still been marching while the 360 and PS3 fight for the HD crown.  Certain problems made this generation very costly for both companies, but that doesn't mean they will lengthen the normal 5 year cycle by more than a year.  I expect we will start to hear about the next Xbox at either next year's E3 (for a 2010 launch) or the year after (for a 2011).

One difference between this generation and the next is that it will not be as large of a jump.  The graphics will be better than the current generation, but not by as large of a degree as 7th gen were over the 6th gen consoles.  They will try to come out at a lower price point (maybe $350 tops).  Don't expect anyone to try going over $400 again.

I give that post a 9.5.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Renai_Kakume said:
Millennium said:
"Paying for potential" is why the PS3 fails. We're talking about video game consoles here, not stocks and bonds. The value of a console comes from what is out, not what is coming.

So are you saying that the 360 won't have a higher "value" thanks to the "coming" of Final Fantasy XIII? PS3 won't have a higher "value" with the full release of "Home". I do not really 100 percently agree with this statement. If you like please enlighten me.

I c wut u did thar!

How will the PS3 have higher 'value' if Home costs nothing towards the consumer next to bragging rights?

gebx said:
Holy #*$! !!!!

New AWESOME Sony Exclusive called "Potential" CONFIRMED!!

GOD ! THAT MADE ME LAAAAUGH AHAHAHAHA THIS IS MY NEW QOUTE !

Dodece said:
@ssj12

My apologies then I obviously misunderstood what you were getting at. There have been a great many posters recently trying to rewrite history to serve their own ends. One of their major bullshit claims has been that the lead platform for Grand Theft Auto was the PS3. Which is just mind blowing in its utter stupidity, because every demo of the game was conducted on 360s.

Yeah I just had a run in with a poster claiming the exact nonsense your speaking of. I am getting somewhat annoyed by this sort crap to be honest.

Around the Network

@profcrab, while i do understand the issue surrounding the demise of original xbox hardware. it has encumbered this next gen the 360 with a forcefully longer life. it has to stay on the market till at least 2012 to remove the perception of short gens by microsoft. the other side effect would be the console ending up like the saturn/dream cast with 3rd parties releasing little to no games, I do know sony had a hand in this by paying ea to not make games for the dreamcast sony/ea madden deal.

and honestly the dreamcast is a good representation of the 360, the 360s first year of hardware was slowed by the knowledge that the ps3 was around the corner. the difrence has been ms offering good third party support, sometimes paying for it. and xbox live (it is a shame that the dreamcast got tossed under the bus the online they had was great for its time)

I dont think MS would put up with having to buy 3rd party support for the next gen. so far it does not look like they will have too, they just need to keep the 360 a strong selling platform that moves lots of software, and a hardware shift early would kill that

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog