By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Mirrors Edge : PS3 Cell lets DICE push texture res "much higher"

That looks like concept art.  The floor looks like it has brushstrokes on it, the very distant part of the picture looks..odd, and the escelator is not "geometrically correct" in terms of perspective.

Around the Network
leo-j said:
NJ5 said:

Some screenshots. Am I blind or does this game not rely much on texturing for its graphical beauty?

O-O

OMFG..

Am i blind, or the third pic is just concept art? You can see the brushstrokes from miles away. And the first one looks like a render, but could be an ingame shot, while the third pic definatelly isn't.

EDIT: i'm going to be ignorant and qualify the first picture for concept art too (3d with brush touch-up interventions)

It's been said many times the Cell is not a standard CPU, and it can be used to do some pre-processing on data for the GPU. Hell, origianlly Sony planned to put two Cells in the ps3 (one slightly modified) instead of a GPU, but changed their minds because it would've been too costly. This is why the RSX isn't as capable as it could be.  It was a somewhat last minute decision.

The Cell's ability to assist with some GPU-specific functions has been stated by many developers in the past, yet still whenever somebody mentions a new case of the Cell being used to assist the GPU, there are responses of, "What does the CPU have to do with that?"

At least the "Cell is useless for gaming" quotes have died down.

About the game itself, I'm worried about the gameplay, tbh. First person mode seems extremely limiting when it comes to climbing all over things. What will you do with no peripheral vision? I'll keep an open mind until I play it myself, though. The game looks gorgeous.

Oh god it gets better everyday! I am so mf happy to have a PS3! You guys! We did it!

Whew let me calm down I sound like a fanboy.... Again lol.

PS. looks better then Crysis.

makingmusic476 said:

About the game itself, I'm worried about the gameplay, tbh. First person mode seems extremely limiting when it comes to climbing all over things. What will you do with no peripheral vision? I'll keep an open mind until I play it myself, though. The game looks gorgeous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N1TJP1cxmo

Around the Network
Leetgeek said:

Oh god it gets better everyday! I am so mf happy to have a PS3! You guys! We did it!

Whew let me calm down I sound like a fanboy.... Again lol.

You realize you just casued about 3 people to throw up with excitement that would be considered over-acting in a disney cartoon.

Sixaxis controls, super easy to implement and say, OK well just balance it and then you've got it there, as opposed to teaching a player to say, oh let's push this button or that button

Six-axis controls confirmed.

Never good news.

That said, I think anything that was said which wasn't "positive" on Sony day, wouldn't be appreciated too much. The guy never says the 360 version is inferior, nor does he say that the PS3 is a bed of roses. He simply says they it is "quirky" and the programmers enjoyed working on it.

I'm sure at 360 day there would be equally great news about the 360. Getting excited over spin simply because it's what you want to hear...

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

well the cell should start to show all of its hype(i hope)

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Dev: PS3 can do (insert something here)
Forum posters: Let's just wait and see.....those devs can't possibly know what they're talking about so I won't listen

I'm sure the developers know what they're talking about, so just take it. So what if the Cell helps bump up textures. Get over it

Oh man, another positive thing is posted about the PS3, thus NJ5 is there on the ground floor to spin any positive aspect of it away. He should do this shit for a living.

I would definitely trust his opinion over someone who actually deals with software/hardware architecture.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

There's a far greater likelihood than not that over time, developers who enjoy designing games for the PS3 are only going to continually push the platform further through optimizing and exploring its unusual architecture.

I don't think development is at that tipping point yet, but the second year PS3 games showed a remarkable improvement from a technical standpoint over the first year (to be expected). Games kicking off year three indicate a continuation of that trend.

People questioning the screen shots should probably take a second look at the Mirror's Edge video clip that was posted several weeks ago. Not exactly what I'd call "far off" from the stills. It looks better in motion as though one was watching a Parkour/free running session via a camera mounted to the athlete's head.