By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Mirrors Edge : PS3 Cell lets DICE push texture res "much higher"

shams said:
I wonder what the CELL has to do with enhanced texturing. You would think the CPU would be the least important part for texturing - the GPU & texture memory being the obvious important ones.

Maybe they are doing a lot of software texture generation or manipulation (lighting? shadowing?), something that can't be done on the GPU.

Guess its a good use for a couple (if not more) of those SPUs!

Shams you have to remember the original design of the PS3 was to have two CELL processors. The CELL is designed as a hybrid CPU/GPU.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
shams said:
I wonder what the CELL has to do with enhanced texturing. You would think the CPU would be the least important part for texturing - the GPU & texture memory being the obvious important ones.

Maybe they are doing a lot of software texture generation or manipulation (lighting? shadowing?), something that can't be done on the GPU.

Guess its a good use for a couple (if not more) of those SPUs!

Shams you have to remember the original design of the PS3 was to have two CELL processors. The CELL is designed as a hybrid CPU/GPU.

I never knew that

OT: Mirror's Edge looks amazing! I just finished watching the trailer..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!

BMaker11 said:
Dev: PS3 can do (insert something here)
Forum posters: Let's just wait and see.....those devs can't possibly know what they're talking about so I won't listen

I'm sure the developers know what they're talking about, so just take it. So what if the Cell helps bump up textures. Get over it

"Sean Decker, general manager of Battlefield developer DICE, said that the PS3 has "a lot of little quirks to it that we really like and our engineers love as well as our designers"."

He is not a dev, no dev made any comment, he is only a manager, do you remember things like "4D" and "just get another job"??? is almost the same thing here...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
FJ-Warez said:
BMaker11 said:
Dev: PS3 can do (insert something here)
Forum posters: Let's just wait and see.....those devs can't possibly know what they're talking about so I won't listen

I'm sure the developers know what they're talking about, so just take it. So what if the Cell helps bump up textures. Get over it

"Sean Decker, general manager of Battlefield developer DICE, said that the PS3 has "a lot of little quirks to it that we really like and our engineers love as well as our designers"."

He is not a dev, no dev made any comment, he is only a manager, do you remember things like "4D" and "just get another job"??? is almost the same thing here...

Wouldn't a manager still need to know the ins and outs of development to be able to manage a development team and know what the fuck is going on?

at the very least they should know enough to know what they are talking about

NJ5 said:

Some screenshots. Am I blind or does this game not rely much on texturing for its graphical beauty?

wow, just wow

Around the Network
Kyros said:
LOL we had too many developers making positive or negative remarks about the 360 or the PS3. One more doesn't decide the debate.

IMO two things are getting clearer:

1)PS360 games STILL have a slight advantage on 360.

2) PS3 exclusives like Uncharted, MGS4, GT5-P seem to have a slight advantage over 360 exclusives (If you take away the Unreal3 engine that also works on the PS3 (Unreal Tournament)

I think PS3 exclusives will outpace 360 exclusives in the midterm. But both consoles provide amazing visuals and are much nearer to each other than ever before, so who cares.

Well said.  The argument in this thread reminds me of the "how many angels can you put on the head of a pin" saying.  The answer is either "who cares?" or "does it really matter?"

Well... IMHO, anyway.

hmm.. anyone know if those are screenshots taken from the 360 version or the PS3 version?? cause those pics show up on both consoles "screenshots" index..

I'm not saying they're one console or the others, I'm just saying lets not blow our loads over the screen gushing over screenshots that could be taken from one console over the other.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Leetgeek said:

Oh god it gets better everyday! I am so mf happy to have a PS3! You guys! We did it!

Whew let me calm down I sound like a fanboy.... Again lol.

You realize you just casued about 3 people to throw up with excitement that would be considered over-acting in a disney cartoon.

Sixaxis controls, super easy to implement and say, OK well just balance it and then you've got it there, as opposed to teaching a player to say, oh let's push this button or that button

Six-axis controls confirmed.

Never good news.

That said, I think anything that was said which wasn't "positive" on Sony day, wouldn't be appreciated too much. The guy never says the 360 version is inferior, nor does he say that the PS3 is a bed of roses. He simply says they it is "quirky" and the programmers enjoyed working on it.

I'm sure at 360 day there would be equally great news about the 360. Getting excited over spin simply because it's what you want to hear...

the sixaxis controls in Uncharted, Ratchet and clank, Army of Two and esp MGS4 Worked brilliantly.

I am a huge fan of DICE, can't wait for the 360 version of this game.
Achievements and trophies will be intense!

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

wow soon they will find ways for the cell to start curing diseases.

o wait... it already does that