By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Mirrors Edge : PS3 Cell lets DICE push texture res "much higher"

Soriku said:
NJ5 said:

Some screenshots. Am I blind or does this game not rely much on texturing for its graphical beauty?

Pic 1 = If in-game then HOLY!

Pic 2 = It looks worse than the first picture but still looks great.

Pic 3 = Obvously concept art like people said. Look atthe strokes and the color... X_X

They've all been through photoshop hell and back.

Around the Network

While it may have been touched up the second (or middle) image seems to be a level glimpsed in the video released for the title and does include your character in same pose from video so its the only one that I take to indicate possible game looks.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

NJ5 said:
Skeeuk said:
NJ5 said:
Well, let's wait and see. If the texture res is indeed "much higher" that would have to be noticeable in a screenshot comparison, so it won't be hard to test these claims.

thats the point im trying to raise, is that i belive they wont up the res on ps3 version, and release as fair multiplat so one isnt better than other.

From the article:

"The other thing is the Cell really allows us to push the resolution of our textures much higher and we've taken full advantage of that as well."

Didn't you read the article before posting it?

Clearly they're claiming the PS3 version has much higher texture resolution, a claim we'll be able to prove or disprove by comparing it with the 360 version.

yes ive read the full article, and it does seem the cell will let them push res higher, ive seen a hd video on psn and it looks staggering. but............ i will stick to my orig opinion that they will on release make the game a fair multiplat.

if it was exclusive, obviously they would have utilised the bluray, hd space an cell. but its multiplat so i think both versions will be the same.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

I suspect all this 4d nonsense they are talking about are just homogeneous coordinates which allow any affine transformation (rotation, translation, dilation, reflection, etc) in R^3 (3d) to be represented as a 4x4 matrix acting on "4d" points.

@Deneidez the cell has some interesting architectural properties when it comes DMAs by the SPEs. If you are familiar with past HPC architectures the best analogy I can think of is vector chaining in the Seymore Cray's machines. Although some people call the SPEs vector cores (I don't bc they don't support chaining), what the real innovation is, is that they support something akin to "DMA chaining" (it's actually way more complicated). Each of the SPEs are only quasi-cache coherent, their load/store commands cannot access address outside their L1 cache and hence each have a separate DMA controller which maintains a large list of future and current needs. This is what makes it fast as hell under the right circumstances and hard to actually program for (separate compiler is used for SPE code). If you want a more thorough explanation I can give you one, but I'm going to stop here as I can already feel people's eyes glazing over.

@alephnull

I suspect all this 4d nonsense they are talking about are just homogeneous coordinates which allow any affine transformation (rotation, translation, dilation, reflection, etc) in R^3 (3d) to be represented as a 4x4 matrix acting on "4d" points.

Haven't they used those for a while already(Well, nearly as long as there has been 3D games. I think quake used those already. 1996)? Homogeneous coordinates aren't really a 'new thing'. I suspect that this 4D nonsense is just some sort of fud that has no real meaning. :)

If you want a more thorough explanation I can give you one, but I'm going to stop here as I can already feel people's eyes glazing over.

Sure, getting more knowledge is always a good thing. :)

Anyway, as you said they are hard to program for and I know that with complicated programs they are like hell to program(Well, I haven't programmed anything for CELL, but what I have heard from those who have.). The amount of stuff you need to define in your programs and amount of micromanagement when it comes to SPU is just 'too much' sometimes. :)

@MikeB

Heres some some stuff about procedural synthesis on X360,

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/xbox360-1.ars

As you can see X360 is superior(*shivers*) platform when it comes to procedural synthesis. It is like it has only been made for gaming. THE X360 can do multiple... - - -(*hrr* , I - just - can't - continue -. , MikeB, just how can you do it? :D)