By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Mirrors Edge : PS3 Cell lets DICE push texture res "much higher"

Can someone school me on why developers won't make games as best as possible on the consoles that multiplatforms go on respectively? Crank up those particle effects, and go higher res, it will make games that are multiplatforms truly be comparable.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
Those pictures are insane, I've never seen anything like that before...
But, I think the world will gasp when Valve showcase the Source Engine 3 late this year or early next year!

I think it looks great too, but there are some potential problems... The heavy use of repeated colors looks nice, but at the same time I wonder if it doesn't get tiring when playing the game. Look at the escalator's orange walls, that's almost a solid color with no shading throughout.

Regarding the last screenshot I posted (apparently the best one from those three), there is one problem there... Look at the area near the chairs on the floor. Some odd shading there.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:

Some screenshots. Am I blind or does this game not rely much on texturing for its graphical beauty?

O-O

OMFG..

mM

ps3 ownes

I wonder what the CELL has to do with enhanced texturing. You would think the CPU would be the least important part for texturing - the GPU & texture memory being the obvious important ones.

Maybe they are doing a lot of software texture generation or manipulation (lighting? shadowing?), something that can't be done on the GPU.

Guess its a good use for a couple (if not more) of those SPUs!

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

those screens look great.

shams said:
I wonder what the CELL has to do with enhanced texturing. You would think the CPU would be the least important part for texturing - the GPU & texture memory being the obvious important ones.

Maybe they are doing a lot of software texture generation or manipulation (lighting? shadowing?), something that can't be done on the GPU.

Guess its a good use for a couple (if not more) of those SPUs!

Well, it should be said that this quote came from a manager, perhaps something got lost in "translation".

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

There's probably some system where they bundle large textures in meshes like Unreal Engine 3 started with years ago, it saves system req's and eases development greatly.

Maybe it's because the RSX cannot pump out the textures at such high resolutions that they're having to resort to the CELL? Maybe they're working in one way to avoid the restrictions brought down by working the other.

As for those screenshots, they look suspect to me. I'm not convinced the game will end up looking like that in motion. They look far too slick and shiney to be gameplay shots, I'm willing to pop a chance at saying they're CGI or concept art.

At the end of the day, both will look the same, there is no point of comparing the textures. PS3 fans, we went from having crappy looking games compared to the 360 to being on par, is that not enough? This game looks like its going to suck (IMO), a know a bunch of ppl that get motion sickness from FPS games, imagine this.