By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which console has the most diversity in quality titles?

Squilliam said:
TheRealMafoo said:
starcraft said:

There is a reason I'm making this thread, but we'll save that for after it's gotten a few responses.

Which console do you personally believe has the most diverse line-up/library of quality titles? I do not mean the BEST line-up/library of quality titles, I mean the most diverse. 

Edit:  Out of current generation machines.

Ok, now that you have a few responces, and your answer (BC PS3 will play something like 12,000 games), what is the reason you are making this thread?

P.S. Just in case you wanted to look it up:
http://www.sonyindex.com/

GEAT REAL DUDE!

That level of choice just leads to a massive case of cognitive dissonance that paralyzes the victim. If anyone were to try to pick just 10 games from that list they'd go mad just from the sheer quantity of choice.

For the sake of everyone, we must leave the PS2 out of it!

Actually, a good reason to is because most people here actually own a PS2 so the games are already accounted already.

Why would you want to remove a capability of a console when comparing it's capabilities?

I am sure the reason SC posted this thread, is to say if you want to buy a console for nothing other then games, you are an idiot for buying the PS3. I am just demonstrating why a consumer with a PS3, who plays nothing but games, is not one :)

Oh, and I sold my PS2 for an X-Box early in it's life, so I missed the second half of the PS2 library. It was one of the things I bought the PS3 for. That and it plays PS2 games better then the PS2 (upscaling), so even if you had played PS2 games, you might want to play them again :)

Around the Network

If we're talking only current consoles (Wii, 360, PS3) and if we're talking diversity over quality (i.e. doesn't matter if game is crap so long as many genres are supported) then the Wii pips the 360 and PS3 at the post.

Personally I still think all three have weak libraries in that all 3 have strong support for some genres but very weak support for others - obviously they haven't been out as long but none of the three come close to diversity of PS2 library for example.

As for Stacraft's point I'd guess it's to point out that 360 is unfairly seen as being FPS/shooters only when it has a muvh more diverse library.

I'd agree - but MS marketing gave it that branding themselves so they only have themselves to blame that now they want to broaden the demographics who will buy a 360 they are finding it a hard battle.

I suspect that by time MS makes any headway in changing opinions the PS3 library will have caught up in terms of diversity and continue to make growth for 360 hard but only time will tell.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Well if we include BC and downloads, Wii wins easily:

NES+SNES+MegaDrive+NeoGeo+Turbographics+Master System+N64+GC+Wii

> PS1+PS2+PS3

Sure there are a lot of magnificent games on the PlayStation family, but the combination that's available on Wii is better. Especially if you're talking about diversity.

BengaBenga said:
Well if we include BC and downloads, Wii wins easily:

NES+SNES+MegaDrive+NeoGeo+Turbographics+Master System+N64+GC+Wii

> PS1+PS2+PS3

Sure there are a lot of magnificent games on the PlayStation family, but the combination that's available on Wii is better. Especially if you're talking about diversity.

I would agree with you if you could play all the games from those consoles, but you can't (other then the GC).

So the Wii is really Wii+GC+(a small select titles of the other consoles you mentioned).

The quality of those games are high, but the diversity is low, as you can only choose what Nintento lets you choose.

EDIT: At least we agree that the 360 comes in last place :)

TheRealMafoo said:
Squilliam said:
TheRealMafoo said:
starcraft said:

There is a reason I'm making this thread, but we'll save that for after it's gotten a few responses.

Which console do you personally believe has the most diverse line-up/library of quality titles? I do not mean the BEST line-up/library of quality titles, I mean the most diverse. 

Edit:  Out of current generation machines.

Ok, now that you have a few responces, and your answer (BC PS3 will play something like 12,000 games), what is the reason you are making this thread?

P.S. Just in case you wanted to look it up:
http://www.sonyindex.com/

GEAT REAL DUDE!

That level of choice just leads to a massive case of cognitive dissonance that paralyzes the victim. If anyone were to try to pick just 10 games from that list they'd go mad just from the sheer quantity of choice.

For the sake of everyone, we must leave the PS2 out of it!

Actually, a good reason to is because most people here actually own a PS2 so the games are already accounted already.

Why would you want to remove a capability of a console when comparing it's capabilities?

I am sure the reason SC posted this thread, is to say if you want to buy a console for nothing other then games, you are an idiot for buying the PS3. I am just demonstrating why a consumer with a PS3, who plays nothing but games, is not one :)

Oh, and I sold my PS2 for an X-Box early in it's life, so I missed the second half of the PS2 library. It was one of the things I bought the PS3 for. That and it plays PS2 games better then the PS2 (upscaling), so even if you had played PS2 games, you might want to play them again :)

There was really no reason to justify his post with a response Squilliam.

If he'd actualy read the thread he'd know I already answered his original question.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

Looks like what I am reading here is that 2 out of the 3 systems have to rely on the past to make up for the present gaps.

I think star craft must be tallying up the people who say X360.

60GB PS3.

As in go buy us some coffee.

http://speedhunters.com

If you mean only games this gen then 360 if you mean games that can be played then PS3...

Former something....

JaggedSac said:
Looks like what I am reading here is that 2 out of the 3 systems have to rely on the past to make up for the present gaps.

Only to answer a question that was obviously contrived to try and make the OP's console of choice sound like the obvious choice of console to buy.

If he had just asked the question that really makes the most sense "what console has the games you like the most on it", then we would not be going back to previous generations.