By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - First day sales in Japan (6/14)

I did forget they were just first day sales. And duh, it has Ninjas :).

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

trusty bell numbers are good considering, but NGS is pretty bad. PS3 hasn't had a game released in a long time besides madden and NBA which mean nothing in Japan. It all depends on what your expectations are i guess, but people here were hyping NGS quite a bit

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

... 20k NGS

It's low but I think this game is in pretty good position to overtake Trusty Bell this week. It's not a title which people pre-order or wait for day one to buy it. I think it will finish around 50k - 60k. My prediction for Trusty Bell looks pretty accurate (45k).  

Japan is bizarre.

kber81: "Japan is bizarre."

the Japanese: "America is bizarre".

=)

there has been all this discussion of what a "hardcore" gamer is... but all that discussion focuses only on the hardcore american gamer. what's a "hardcore" japanese gamer, i wonder? it appears that other than JRPG, their makeup has more diversity than US "hardcore" gamers.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Considering how large the DS software attach rate is in Japan, you could almost say that DS owners are the new 'hardcore' gamer. I think too many fanboys are stuck in the thinking that they are the center of the gaming universe.

Around the Network

FJ - I wouldn't consider 5.0~5.5 attach rate "hardcore". The PS2 had over 10 and was "mainstream"

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

True enough. I care about Japan because that's where about 90% of my games come from. :)

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

I get the sentiment that FishyJoe is trying to convey though. A lot of these "hardcore" gamers are anything but. If you are afraid to try new experiences and play only popular mainstream titles you are not hardcore. It does not matter how much you spend on games and how many you buy. A hardcore gamer isn't concerned with whether a game is cool or not or whether they look ridiculous while playing a game. A hardcore gamer will give just about any game a try. They may not like the game, but they will find out about from their own experience. They won't be quick to turn their nose up new game types either.

Darc Requiem said:
I get the sentiment that FishyJoe is trying to convey though. A lot of these "hardcore" gamers are anything but. If you are afraid to try new experiences and play only popular mainstream titles you are not hardcore. It does not matter how much you spend on games and how many you buy. A hardcore gamer isn't concerned with whether a game is cool or not or whether they look ridiculous while playing a game. A hardcore gamer will give just about any game a try. They may not like the game, but they will find out about from their own experience. They won't be quick to turn their nose up new game types either.

since when is there a definition for hardcore gamer?  I thought a hardcore gamer is someone who spends a lot of time playing video games.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

johnsobas said:
Darc Requiem said:

since when is there a definition for hardcore gamer? I thought a hardcore gamer is someone who spends a lot of time playing video games.

So a person that plays WoW 8 hours a day and nothing else is a hardcore gamer?