By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - First day sales in Japan (6/14)

libellule said:

com on,

Trusty bell is suppose to be released on PS3 too
and ninja gaiden is a remake

just wait "everybody's golf" ...

Outside of the ESRB posting which was later removed, there has been no mention of Trusty Bell on PS3. I'm not saying it won't happen but I wouldn't count on it either.

Around the Network

I'm surprised Ninja Gaiden didn't sell more than 20k in the first day....seeing as there aren't many games out for the PS3 and NGS is being hailed as one of the first "got to get" games for the PS3.  I thought there would have been pre-orders to the tune of around 100k or thereabouts.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

30k day one, including bundles is good for TB. It's ashame that both are the 4th highest selling with such low numbers. Damn you, Japan!

Dolla, of course, your comparing it to:

Blue Dragon's 43k first day (88k first week)
Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 33k first day (45k first week)
Dead or Alive 4 unknown first day (I assume 35-40k first day)(65k first week)

Consider the userbase: nearly 10% of every X360 owner bought a copy of Trusty Bell on it's first day. That'd be like North American 360 owners buying 600,000 copies of Forza 2 in one day.

TB should get, at absolute minimum, 45k, but since TB seems to be a pretty well-balanced RPG, it should get 57.5-62.5k inline with Blue Dragon.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Yojimbo said:
RE4 for the Wii with more then the double hardware sold 50k first week. Let us see next week how much they sold.

This is key. If a remake of a game on a console with a much larger userbase did 50k first week, it's not suprising that a remake of a game on a console with a saller userbase has 20k first day sales it's actually pretty good comparitively. Also original RE4 sold better than original NG if I remember correctly.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

ckmlb, are you reffering to Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox? If so, NGS should overtake NGs LTD within 3 weeks (LTD was a crap-tacular 66k units).

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

ckmlb said:
Yojimbo said:
RE4 for the Wii with more then the double hardware sold 50k first week. Let us see next week how much they sold.

This is key. If a remake of a game on a console with a much larger userbase did 50k first week, it's not suprising that a remake of a game on a console with a saller userbase has 20k first day sales it's actually pretty good comparitively. Also original RE4 sold better than original NG if I remember correctly.

Yeah but I think you have to go case by case. Most people had a ps2 or cube, so most people that wanted to play RE4, did. While no one owned the original X-box in Japan, so it was there oppurtunity to get it. Plus NGS was addvertised and hyped like crazy for being so much better looking and basically hyped like a totally new game, while RE4 was essentially the same game with new controls, not very exciting. Nonetheless the userbase is bigger but I hardly think it matters I'm sure anyone who wanted it already owned it last gen. And this round people who were dying for the new controls, or the very few who somehow missed it went picking it up. The fact is you can still pick up the Gamecube version and play it on the Wii for half the price, you can't do that with NGS.

I can't wait to see the cosnsole data for this week. I believe it is going to be a close one between the PS3 and the 360.

Also, It looks like this will be the first time in over a month that PS3 software outsells the PS3 Hardware.

fooflexible said:
ckmlb said:
Yojimbo said:

Yeah but I think you have to go case by case. Most people had a ps2 or cube, so most people that wanted to play RE4, did. While no one owned the original X-box in Japan, so it was there oppurtunity to get it. Plus NGS was addvertised and hyped like crazy for being so much better looking and basically hyped like a totally new game, while RE4 was essentially the same game with new controls, not very exciting. Nonetheless the userbase is bigger but I hardly think it matters I'm sure anyone who wanted it already owned it last gen. And this round people who were dying for the new controls, or the very few who somehow missed it went picking it up. The fact is you can still pick up the Gamecube version and play it on the Wii for half the price, you can't do that with NGS.

I think with all of that you need to consider who is buying the game and the percentage of your buying body. For example if you say most PS3 fans are "hardcore" fans this seems like a game that at least 10% of your Japanesse population would snatch up the first day that's 100k that didn't work with about 20k sold and 1 million owners you get 1000k/20k~= 2% of your population if you want to make a direct comparison to the Wii and RE4 50k/2600k~= 2%. So in reality neither has sold better than the other yet they are pretty much about the same regardless those aren't the numbers you want to be taking devlopers 2% of our population buys a likely more expensive to develop remake or 2% of their population with a likely cheaper remake when in reality that means double the sells for their firm for spending less money.

Actually, I think Trusty Bell did ok for a 360 game. An NGS, did as I expect. Didn`t helped a bit the PS3. Just sold to old owners. And I think we can use percentages in this one. Remember, many PS3 owners only use it as a Bluray player. Software sales back me up in that one. The fact that re4 wii is gonna have a better 1st week is. in my opinion, embarrasing for a game that is a big leap from the original, and that now is in a bigger console. Hopefully, people will realize that the games that aren´t big ( FF, MGS) `don`t drive sales.