By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - First day sales in Japan (6/14)

Darc Requiem said:
johnsobas said:
Darc Requiem said:
I get the sentiment that FishyJoe is trying to convey though. A lot of these "hardcore" gamers are anything but. If you are afraid to try new experiences and play only popular mainstream titles you are not hardcore. It does not matter how much you spend on games and how many you buy. A hardcore gamer isn't concerned with whether a game is cool or not or whether they look ridiculous while playing a game. A hardcore gamer will give just about any game a try. They may not like the game, but they will find out about from their own experience. They won't be quick to turn their nose up new game types either.

since when is there a definition for hardcore gamer? I thought a hardcore gamer is someone who spends a lot of time playing video games.

So a person that plays WoW 8 hours a day and nothing else is a hardcore gamer?

That's a hardcore WoW player not a hardcore gamer. He is a hardcore video game player though. A hardcore gamer entails variety in gaming, interest in games in general, the industry and support for games that are underappreciated.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
ChichiriMuyo said:

And I imagine if the PS3 gets a price cut this year, games like NGS are going to get a noticable boost from it.

The PS3 is already sold for $200 cheaper in Japan than in the US.   If the PS3 cannot sell for $400 in Japan, what is the magic price point that makes it attractive. 

While this is beyond the scope of this thread, if a $400 PS3 cannot do well in Japan, why is a price drop of between $100 to $200 expected to revive PS3 sales in the United States?

Darc Requiem said:
johnsobas said:
Darc Requiem said:
I get the sentiment that FishyJoe is trying to convey though. A lot of these "hardcore" gamers are anything but. If you are afraid to try new experiences and play only popular mainstream titles you are not hardcore. It does not matter how much you spend on games and how many you buy. A hardcore gamer isn't concerned with whether a game is cool or not or whether they look ridiculous while playing a game. A hardcore gamer will give just about any game a try. They may not like the game, but they will find out about from their own experience. They won't be quick to turn their nose up new game types either.

since when is there a definition for hardcore gamer? I thought a hardcore gamer is someone who spends a lot of time playing video games.

So a person that plays WoW 8 hours a day and nothing else is a hardcore gamer?

yea basically.  Even though it is pathetic to play wow that much.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Zyzomys said:
ChichiriMuyo said:

And I imagine if the PS3 gets a price cut this year, games like NGS are going to get a noticable boost from it.

The PS3 is already sold for $200 cheaper in Japan than in the US. If the PS3 cannot sell for $400 in Japan, what is the magic price point that makes it attractive.

While this is beyond the scope of this thread, if a $400 PS3 cannot do well in Japan, why is a price drop of between $100 to $200 expected to revive PS3 sales in the United States?

The Economy is in a worse state in Japan than the US.  So the PS3 has the same "price feel" to the Japanese as to the US, even if the exchange rates work differently.

If you do the math, the PS3 is still selling at a higher per capita rate than the US.  Their population is 127m  (and declining) versus our 300m (and increasing).

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Eight hours of WoW a day? Pansies. All of them. I'm not playing WoW much anymore, but I've put that figure to shame for months on end.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network
FinalEvangelion said:

If you do the math, the PS3 is still selling at a higher per capita rate than the US. Their population is 127m (and declining) versus our 300m (and increasing).

Wow! Pricing based on population. That is very creative.

How would your numbers look if we use Canada. Smaller population than Japan (only 33 million) but is priced at $655US or $255 higher than in Japan. This is a much higher per capital rate than your Japanese example. How does this fit into your economic model? Please explain.

Bodhesatva said:
Eight hours of WoW a day? Pansies. All of them. I'm not playing WoW much anymore, but I've put that figure to shame for months on end.
I had like 150 days played by the time I quit that game, wayyy too much time spent on one fuckin game it's sickening.

ckmlb said:
Bodhesatva said:
I had like 150 days played by the time I quit that game, wayyy too much time spent on one fuckin game it's sickening.

I pick one game and stick with it.

Played Team Fortress Classic for 3 years. Turned "pro," by which I mean I got mousepads from Icemat to play. It just sounds cooler if I say I turned pro.

Played Unreal Tournament for 2 and a half years. Also turned pro, but made more money this time, with the exact same company. I'd say I've earned 2000 dollars or so playing UT in several incarnations.

Played WoW for two years.

I have played perhaps 3-4 other games in that 10 year span. At all. My total time playing games OTHER than those three during the last ten years probably totals to about 100 hours. Shadow of the Colossus, Starcraft... maybe two more, don't know. I played each of my main three games 8+ hours a day, easy, for months on end. I had 260+ days played in WoW when I quit. Yes, I am a loser.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Pretty good for a 360 game not good for a PS3 game.

Bodhesatva said:
ckmlb said:
Bodhesatva said:

I played each of my main three games 8+ hours a day, easy, for months on end. I had 260+ days played in WoW when I quit. Yes, I am a loser.

Well you beat me even which is pretty sick lol we both are not well. I knew there were people who've played more WoW hours (a lot more, people who are still playing now) but it's always nice to meet a former WoW addict lol.

When did you leave? I left around the time Naxx came out.