By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - First day sales in Japan (6/14)

Bodhesatva said:
ckmlb said:
Bodhesatva said:
Eight hours of WoW a day? Pansies. All of them. I'm not playing WoW much anymore, but I've put that figure to shame for months on end.
I had like 150 days played by the time I quit that game, wayyy too much time spent on one fuckin game it's sickening.

I pick one game and stick with it.

Played Team Fortress Classic for 3 years. Turned "pro," by which I mean I got mousepads from Icemat to play. It just sounds cooler if I say I turned pro.

Played Unreal Tournament for 2 and a half years. Also turned pro, but made more money this time, with the exact same company. I'd say I've earned 2000 dollars or so playing UT in several incarnations.

Played WoW for two years.

I have played perhaps 3-4 other games in that 10 year span. At all. My total time playing games OTHER than those three during the last ten years probably totals to about 100 hours. Shadow of the Colossus, Starcraft... maybe two more, don't know. I played each of my main three games 8+ hours a day, easy, for months on end. I had 260+ days played in WoW when I quit. Yes, I am a loser.

ok i understand team fortress and unreal tournament, but WoW....Personally i've played counter-strike and Warcraft 3 competitively.  In counter-strike i got into cal m, and won some local tournaments. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
Bodhesatva said:
ckmlb said:
Bodhesatva said:

I played each of my main three games 8+ hours a day, easy, for months on end. I had 260+ days played in WoW when I quit. Yes, I am a loser.

Well you beat me even which is pretty sick lol we both are not well. I knew there were people who've played more WoW hours (a lot more, people who are still playing now) but it's always nice to meet a former WoW addict lol.

When did you leave? I left around the time Naxx came out.

I left recently. Within the last month.

For me, there were a variety of factors; the main was that I simply wasn't having fun anymore. Which isn't a knock on the game; I loved it. But 260 days after starting, I felt I'd milked the game for all it was worth :p

There are other reasons -- I have a girlfriend now, and felt the Wii was a much better way to play games with her. I knew WoW was unhealthy, so I wanted to stop for health reasons, too. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:
Eight hours of WoW a day? Pansies. All of them. I'm not playing WoW much anymore, but I've put that figure to shame for months on end.

Haha yeah, I beta tested WoW and played it from release right up until about the 22nd of Jan or so. Right before BC released then I quit because I had been playing MMO's for far too many years. (Used to play DAoC before I moved to WoW) I probably had around 150 played in WoW. Just ridiculous. Loved the game but its design was to time consuming for me. All of the raiding and mat collecting FOR the raids and everything just burned me out. I uninstalled and reinstalled Q3:Arena (lol @ old ass games!) and would you believe there are still servers up? HA.

As for the topic I think NG is doing good on PS3. The only reason it looks bad is because people are silly, and heralded NG as the turning point for PS3. Anyone with some sense knew better. These RE4 and NG:S remakes are fine and all but they are not going to do big numbers. PS3 will get its REAL chance to turn things around with Everybodys golf in July. That is going to be an actual system seller. All of these other games up until that arent going to be substantial.

As for trusty bell; and to mrstickball, TB numbers is NOT including the bundles. The same way BD early 1st day numbers didnt include them. Because of this you are likely to see a much larger hardware spike in the Media Create hardware for 360 next week than you may think (judging from the numbers in this thread). TB has done well for itself there already. Im impressed. 

The Japanese Hardcore buy all three if they can afford or see value in it just like us. When it comes to games they usually lead the trends, new-genre brain games is where they are buying. We may think it is the casual audience that is buying every Brain Age/Cooking/Darts/etc game but too many are selling, casual gamers don't have the same attach rate hardcore gamers have.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Xryax - I was 90% sure that the o/d #s didn't include bundles. I would assume that there are probably 3-5k more units sold o/d of the bundle(s). Vinnk's post showed that there weren't a whole bunch of TB bundles left after first day.

The ironic thing is that for the prediction league, the X360 sales average is 4.5k units - No wonder I'm #2 overall right now :-p

Next week will be crazy for the 360. At this point in the first Xbox's life, it was selling 500-750 units a week. We might see 10 to even 20x that in one week (in addition to the fact that a typical week now is 4x the rate of sales).

More importantly than the spike TB, or even NGS give their respective systems: Will they increase the hardware sales from their base ammount? With TB, I think it's possible that after TB is out, and the platinum titles are selling well, that the 360 might drop to 2,750-3,000 units a week, and not to the 2,000-2,250 minimum's we've seen.

For Playstation 3, could we see sales increase to 9.5k or more a week, till the other big games roll around?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

poor sales.
maybe japanese now care only about Brandnamed games? =)
or maybe no more hardcore gamers left? they become casuals, which are sitting now on DS and Wii.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Those TB sales will most probarbly not be enough to get the 360 pass PS3, but it might keep the xbox360 above 3k.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Does Folklore come out next week?

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Yes ,Folklore comes out next week .

CrazzyMan said:
poor sales.
maybe japanese now care only about Brandnamed games? =)
or maybe no more hardcore gamers left? they become casuals, which are sitting now on DS and Wii.

And Ninja Gaiden isn't a brandnamed game? Or do you mean based on an Anime or something?

Eating humble pie yet?