By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which console will have the most million sellers?

VBI said:

For one, that's assuming that the 360 releasing against a then dominant PS2 was a good idea. It didn't have "no competition" for a year as suggested.

I think you are misunderstanding what the one year advantage really is. Almost every new console, including all three that are out right now, suffer a real drought between their lauch and sometime after their first anniversary. The 360 reached the end of this drought period at about the same time the other two were launching; they had huge droughts just when the 360 lineup was getting good - this was a huge deal in 2007 (the much better 360 lineup that year probably contributed to the low ps3 sales) .

Around the Network

PS3>360>Wii

Gentlemen!!! Let your keyboards blaze at me!!!! GO!!!

4 ≈ One

WII
PS3
X360
X360 mln sellers are given the bigger user base, cause after a while people tend to forget about the average games so only the top games continue to sell. This way, the first weeks boost are important and it´s where x360 gets it´s edge. The gap between ps3 and x360 will get relatively smaller, cause when both reach 50-60mln, in 2-4 years, a 3-5mln gap will be non important. So ps3 will get the chance to pass x360, since we expect more games to come for ps3 than x360, once the next MS console come out.

VASCO DA GAMA CAMPEÃO DA COPA DO BRASIL!!!

CONGRATULATIONS VASCÃO

VICE É O CARALH*

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future......NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

astrosmash said:
VBI said:

For one, that's assuming that the 360 releasing against a then dominant PS2 was a good idea. It didn't have "no competition" for a year as suggested.

I think you are misunderstanding what the one year advantage really is. Almost every new console, including all three that are out right now, suffer a real drought between their lauch and sometime after their first anniversary. The 360 reached the end of this drought period at about the same time the other two were launching; they had huge droughts just when the 360 lineup was getting good - this was a huge deal in 2007 (the much better 360 lineup that year probably contributed to the low ps3 sales) .

The sales didn't take place in a vacuum. It was still out at a time when the PS2 was the must have console, it's not comparable in "next gen" terms, but in literal "people going to the game store to buy stuff" terms, a lot of people were (and indeed still are) buying PS2s instead of any other console available, largely because that's what everyone else has/had. And again, while what you said here is valid, it means that the 360 with the standard launch selection was sitting on shelves in the same stores as the cheaper PS2 with a massive proven game library. The PS2 is a mammoth freak of a console, and even today thousands are still buying them every week. Every game store I go to still has massive PS2 shelf space, and all the new consoles are still technically competing against that.

Will you teach me to football?

The X360. The Wii has a select few games that sell extremely well, while the 360 has many games that sell very well.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

The Wii, I think. With a large install base, you don't need such a high attach rate to go platinum. Also, many games have shown to have long legs.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

Yeah it seems the 360 will hold on to it's lead after all. As you all knoe I originally predicted Wii, I still thing it can in the long run, but its got a really big climb ahead of them.

Meanwhile I am enjoying my gaming on 360 :^)

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Fable II makes ONE More for the XBOX360.

The current totals are:

Xbox 360: 45
Nintendo Wii: 29
Playstation 3: 16

Current number of 900,000+ games.

Xbox 360: 6
Nintendo Wii: 0
PS3: 0

So that implies that in the near future a few of those games will convert to million sellers and with new releases the 360 is expected to increase its lead in this area for the forseeable future.

Tease.

thanks squilliam. According to data compiled on wikipedia the XBOX360 is nessled in between SNES and NES at 43 and 48 million sellers respectivly.