By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which console will have the most million sellers?

Seece, you seem to forget that the 360 had a one year lead over the other systems. The Wii will be adding many million sellers over the holiday season, both from old games whose legs will be picking up and new games being launched. Back in 2005 and 2006 (up until the Wii and PS3 launch), the 360 was the only "next gen" home console. This meant that it was the only place to get the "next gen" experience, so its hardware sales and, consequently, software sales were very high. And if Nintendo and Sony have proven anything with their respective successful systems, it's that ANYTHING can be a million seller. Not too many people would have expected Rugrats to sell over 3 million on the PS1, but it did.

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:
Seece, you seem to forget that the 360 had a one year lead over the other systems. The Wii will be adding many million sellers over the holiday season, both from old games whose legs will be picking up and new games being launched. Back in 2005 and 2006 (up until the Wii and PS3 launch), the 360 was the only "next gen" home console. This meant that it was the only place to get the "next gen" experience, so its hardware sales and, consequently, software sales were very high. And if Nintendo and Sony have proven anything with their respective successful systems, it's that ANYTHING can be a million seller. Not too many people would have expected Rugrats to sell over 3 million on the PS1, but it did.

Very true, I don't expect 360 to end up with the most million sellers and if I'm honest I havn't really taken a look at what games are coming out for the wii that could hit a million, what I will say is I don't think the bulk of 360 software sales came from its first year, hey I might be wrong.

Even though the 360 launched a year earlier the wii is now far ahead, why cant the same be said about software sales? its only recently passed 360's software sales total 169M>151M yet still so many million sellers behind.

EDIT- Just had a look at 360 software sales after one year release and its around 20 million, 20 million in one year. the other 130 million and from the last two years.

seece said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Very true, I don't expect 360 to end up with the most million sellers and if I'm honest I havn't really taken a look at what games are coming out for the wii that could hit a million, what I will say is I don't think the bulk of 360 software sales came from its first year, hey I might be wrong.

Even though the 360 launched a year earlier the wii is now far ahead, why cant the same be said about software sales? its only recently passed 360's software sales total 169M>151M yet still so many million sellers behind.

EDIT- Just had a look at 360 software sales after one year release and its around 20 million, 20 million in one year. the other 130 million and from the last two years.

The thing is these charts weren't tracking a lot of 360 games in the beginning of its release. So i think it would have more. Just look at some early 360 games and u wll seee that Others numbers are missing for quite a few games.

I'd say either the Wii or 360. The Wii benefits from having lots of great-selling first party games, and third party games get attention as well. The 360 has tons of great-selling third party games, and first party ones can sell pretty good too. I wouldn't be surprised if either came out on top.

People who argue the PS3 will have the most... get real. I know you're all Sony fanboys, but there is no way the gap will be made up.

Assuming the console market continues to go to the end of the generation as it has been so far, the Wii will have a visibly larger userbase which normally translates into more million sellers. It won't be as far above the 360 as some think if you're going to look purely at current numbers. And I don't think the 360's "head start" matters too much right now.

For one, that's assuming that the 360 releasing against a then dominant PS2 was a good idea. It didn't have "no competition" for a year as suggested.

More importantly, given how long all 3 consoles have been out, the first party efforts and the big well known 3rd party games are all out with only a tiny handful of exceptions. Nintendo's first party work drives their console considerably moreso than the other 2, but they've already got the man Mario game out, a main Zelda out, and a sort of spin off. They've got Mario Kart and Smash Bros and Metroid out. And also the Wii franchise has games out now, including the Wiimote that comes with Wii Play. I obviously assume that they will bring out more first party sequels, before someone mentions that. :D

If people are going to use the numbers as reasoning for their viewpoint, then the trend seems to be that the 360 userbase are more likely to buy a variety of games, but at a smaller number than the Wii's bigger sellers. Several people have mentioned that the 360 has more games in million seller territory, but the Wii's biggest sellers REALLY sell, in the 3 million plus range. Whilst we can never tell what new IP will take off or what 3rd party game will surprise us, the current sales trends seem to suggest that;

a) the 360 userbase buy a larger variety of game per user leading to more actual million sellers, whilst the Wii owner's need to stay more with certain games will lead to more massive multi millions sellers of a smaller amount.

and

b) the overall console sales trend towards the Wii's significant userbase advantage leading to enough sales to "overcome" the previous statement by virtue of sheer size.

Long story short :D, unless there is a massive market shift, the Wii will end up with more million sellers, but not by the vast difference some expect.

Will you teach me to football?

Around the Network

Yup. +1 for XBOX360.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

The Wii doesn't look like it's closing the gap and the holydays releases seem to strongly favor the 360 in my view....
So far we have :

Xbox360 : 44
Wii : 29
PS3 : 16

I see 2 more currently released 360 titles that should/could hit 1 million : Battlefield Bad Company and Fifa09.

For the Wii, SWTFU may get there eventually.

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

1. 360
2. PS3
3. Wii

coolestguyever said:
The PS3 will in the end. It will surpass the 360 in LTD sales eventually and games will start to sell more on PS3. There are the best exclusives on PS3 as well.

Possible/Likely Future Million Sellers in 2008 alone (including multi-plat):

1. SOCOM - Definately
2. Saints Row 2 - The first one was popular on 360
3. Rock Band 2 - First one only sold 0.75 so far, but bigger install base now
4. Midnight Club LA - Racing games sell well in EU
5. Far Cry 2 - Should get good reviews
6. Little Big Planet - Seems obvious
7. Guitar Hero World Tour - Seems obvious
8. Fallout 3 - Should be good
9. Motorstorm Pacific Rift - First one sold 3 million (yes, i know its bundled)
10. Resistance 2 - First one sold over 3 million
11. Tom Clancy's Endwar - Tom Clancy name sells, looks good too
12. Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 - 2008 sold 1 million
13. Call of Duty: World at war - Should sell 1 million, not as many as CoD4 though

You could argue a couple of the above won't sell 1 million, but you have to admit at least 5 or 6 of them are all but guarenteed million sellers.

Beyond 2008:

1. Killzone 2
2. Resident Evil 5
3. Gran Turismo 5
4. God of War 3
5. Tom Clancy's HAWX - Maybe
6. All future Madden games
7. Bioshock 2
8. Ratchet and Clank Sequel
9. Call of Duty 6
10. Final Fantasy XIII
11. Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier
12. LA Noire? - rockstar games tend to be good
13. Twisted Metal PS3?
14. Timesplitters 4?
15. White Knight Chronicles
16. Bioshock 3 - Announced for 2011

If all the games i've mentioned in the above 2 lists become million sellers + the already 15 million sellers, PS3 could have 44 million sellers based just one games that have already been announced.

44 may be a bit high, so i'd say maybe 35-40 for sure on games currently announced.

p.s. sorry for long post

Lets say that all those games sell a million... well the 360 already has 44 million sellers. All the games you mention are reasonable but the posts opening statement "the ps3 will in the end" is actually contradicted by your facts as you conclude that based on your list of games the ps3 will only match the 360.

This category is a 2 horse race: 360 vs Wii.

Personally i think 360 will get more million sellers and it will easily top 50 million sellers by the end of the year.

I think the number of million sellers will favour the XBox 360 for the near future, but that the total software sales for Million sellers is probably going to shift towards the Wii in the very near future (even if you discount Wii Sports and Wii Play). The reason for this is simple, in the near future there are more "High Profile" games on the XBox 360 which will (likely) be able to sell more than 1 Million units but the (dramatically) larger userbase for the Wii will push software sales for the Wii up and any "High Profile" games are likely to see very high sales.