By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square-Enix CEO Says 360, PS3 Over-engineered

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14298

"Speaking in a new article by the Financial Times, Wada suggested that the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 were poorly suited to the current market and that handheld consoles would continue to dominate sales this year, as the demographics of consumers fundamentally alters following the success of the Nintendo DS and Wii."

"[...] these consoles[360,PS3] are mismatched to today’s environment. In a year or two years they will fare better."

He also discusses why they chose the DS for Dragon Quest IX. Interesting article.

Around the Network

He seems to pretty much echo Nintendo's sentiment on hardware...at least in the near term.

So it means its over for people like me who wants the most of the console? Its seems like this generation is going to be more resources over to the Wii and less for the pc/360/ps3. Seems like my gaming days might be over soon :/ 

Talking about general.

I can say the opposite, Yojimbo, from my perspective.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Around the Network
Yojimbo said:
So it means its over for people like me who wants the most of the console? Its seems like this generation is going to be more resources over to the Wii and less for the pc/360/ps3. Seems like my gaming days might be over soon :/

Don't call it quits quite yet, so far the Wii is mostly getting badly made ports and shallow party games from third parties with a few decent ports thrown in.  There are some pretty amazing games coming out this year and next year for the 360 and PS3.

yeah, there are a lot more HD-games coming out these days than mentionable Wii hardcore, while I think that it's gonna be better in about two years.
Man, my opinion is the opposite of this guy's opinion :/

but are you the president and ceo of one of the largest console gaming dev companies around? if not then unfortunately your opinion only matters to you, if you ARE then your opinion matters to your Company. if you goto your people and say i want xxx game on yyy console. they do it.

basically what this guy said is... if your system has the most units sold, you will get our games.

ds is selling over a million and a half units a month
the wii is selling around a million units a month

the 360 is selling ~600 thousand a month
the ps3 is selling ~400 thousand units a month

he also said the other two consoles need another year or two before they can be counted on.

tough words.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I think that we should count on some more Wii games made by SE