By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square-Enix CEO Says 360, PS3 Over-engineered

BenKenobi88 said:
windbane said:
BenKenobi88 said:
Blue3 said:
Yojimbo said:

So it means its over for people like me who wants the most of the console? Its seems like this generation is going to be more resources over to the Wii and less for the pc/360/ps3. Seems like my gaming days might be over soon :/

Talking about general.

it wont, most devs are announcing games and new engines for PC/PS3/360 wii is left in the dust thanks to its old technology.

Seriously, I'm so sick of your bullshit.

He puts it harshly but that particular statement was true. What you let gballzack get away with is the same crap that blue3 says. One says that nothing besides the Wii is awesome, and the other says the Wii sucks no matter what. And yet, you only respond harshly to blue3. Interesting.

Well, he could be less of an ass about it...it's the same old story every time he comments...at least gballzack makes some decent posts otherwise...worthwhile threads and such. But in case you didn't notice...both Blue3 and gballzack have been banned temporarily before...

Oh? I didn't know gballzack had. I feel better, because he/she's the opposite of blue3 and hus. Fair enough, then.

Around the Network
Dolla Dolla said:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14298

"Speaking in a new article by the Financial Times, Wada suggested that the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 were poorly suited to the current market and that handheld consoles would continue to dominate sales this year, as the demographics of consumers fundamentally alters following the success of the Nintendo DS and Wii."

"[...] these consoles[360,PS3] are mismatched to today’s environment. In a year or two years they will fare better."

He also discusses why they chose the DS for Dragon Quest IX. Interesting article.

Interesting that you left out the part where he says that DQ9 is on the DS because of the install base. That's the main factor, and the fact that DQ has never set standards for graphics like FF does.

FF13 is only on PS3, FF7: Crisis Core is only on PSP, Dissidia is only on PSP, FF13: Versus is only on PS3, The Last Remnant is only on PS3 and 360. I can't wait until 2 years from now when the PS3 and 360 are "ready." That'll be a good time for FF14 and maybe DQ10, although I expect that might be on the Wii.

I would like nothing more than FF14 on the PS3 and DQ10 on the Wii, because those will be the 2 consoles I own. I really wish all you Wii guys would stop looking for things to criticize the graphically superior consoles with.

@windbane
Come now, most Wii fans have no problem with great graphics, I know I don't, however many, like me, do have major problems with video game consoles priced over $300 (unfortunately, most people can't afford to blow that amount of money on video games). A 5th Century Pope would summarize the problem as "Non 'graphically superior' sed 'price inferior'". Yes there is some pleasure in watching over-engineered over-priced consoles flounder in the market for the precise reasons their fanboys declare them unbeatable. You shouldn't be so hard on the only mass market system or on businesses for trying to make money in a way not pleasing to your eye.

What's wrong with Wii fans and fanboys going after the inferiorly priced consoles by commenting on this thread, the head of a major gaming company is critisizing those systems after all. Seems that's somewhat relevent to video game discussions. Just because he is saying what Wii fans and fanboys have been saying doesn't make him wrong, just lends credence to what Wii fans and fanboys have been saying (at least in that regard and of course doesn't mean they're right, I don't want to sound like I'm saying everything any fanboy say is correct).

windbane said:

Interesting that you left out the part where he says that DQ9 is on the DS because of the install base. That's the main factor, and the fact that DQ has never set standards for graphics like FF does.

FF13 is only on PS3, FF7: Crisis Core is only on PSP, Dissidia is only on PSP, FF13: Versus is only on PS3, The Last Remnant is only on PS3 and 360. I can't wait until 2 years from now when the PS3 and 360 are "ready." That'll be a good time for FF14 and maybe DQ10, although I expect that might be on the Wii.

I would like nothing more than FF14 on the PS3 and DQ10 on the Wii, because those will be the 2 consoles I own. I really wish all you Wii guys would stop looking for things to criticize the graphically superior consoles with.

Wii people do not criticize as much as some of the other fan boys. The more vocal ones (nintendo fanboys) have dealt with Xbox and Sony fanboys calling their systems kiddy systems and such. Or more recently but even fewer today harp on and on and on about graphics. I think what most rational posters think is that the system with the largest install base gets the games and while I know someone will pull out a list of games that will show the lionshare going PS3/360 it will not paint he picture 2-3 years down the road. these are after all businesses.

FF13 is on the PS3 solely because it was predicted to HAVE the largest fan base when they started the project particularily in Japan where Sony has dominated the competition there forever. However DQ9 went DS because it did HAVE and still does and probably will have the largest install base and hte sucess of FF remakes on that system.

Windbane I had both the PS3 and the Wii but the PS3 wasn't worth $600 I wold pay around $300.

Back to the article.

Yes, I agree the 360 and PS3 cost way too much money for a mainstream console It would of been better to focus on the optimal power/price combo. I wish Nintendo would of put more money into making a more powerful unit as well instead of shrinking everything down and working on wattage(This isn't a portable) but at least it si more powerful than the XBOX but it is less noticeable when seen next to a PS3 and the controller is fun for the games that PROPERLY utilize it.

Hate to break it to you, but I'm not a Wii fanboy, windbane. Nice try though. I actually prefer the HD consoles over the Wii at the moment, because they offer games I would rather play. This was simply an article I thought was interesting.

I didn't leave anything out, I said in the article that they discuss why those chose the DS. If you wanted to read about it, you would click the article, yes? And you did. Go figure. And I didn't write the article, it was the Square-Enix CEO who criticized the "superior" consoles. Gonna call him a Wii fanboy next?

Around the Network

albionus said:
@windbane
Come now, most Wii fans have no problem with great graphics, I know I don't, however many, like me, do have major problems with video game consoles priced over $300 (unfortunately, most people can't afford to blow that amount of money on video games).

What's wrong with Wii fans and fanboys going after the inferiorly priced consoles by commenting on this thread, the head of a major gaming company is critisizing those systems after all.

First of all, with inflation-adjusted numbers, the 360 (the real one, not the core) is priced about average when compared to the past consoles. The PS3 is one of the most expensive, and the Wii is one of the cheapest.  I think you get what you pay for.

The head of a major gaming company is releasing far more games on the PS3 and PSP than other consoles, so I'm not very concerned with him justifying throwing away a major RPG release on a graphically inferior handheld. He said the install base was high, and it's probably cheaper.

Considering it takes longer than 2 years to make a game, it looks like the Wii will miss the party. They have very few games in development for the Wii, and if they start any now they will be on the PS3 and/or the 360. Kinda like The Last Remnant, huh?

Dolla Dolla said:
Hate to break it to you, but I'm not a Wii fanboy, windbane. Nice try though. I actually prefer the HD consoles over the Wii at the moment, because they offer games I would rather play. This was simply an article I thought was interesting.

I didn't leave anything out, I said in the article that they discuss why those chose the DS. If you wanted to read about it, you would click the article, yes? And you did. Go figure. And I didn't write the article, it was the Square-Enix CEO who criticized the "superior" consoles. Gonna call him a Wii fanboy next?

You left the key part out.  Not sure when I called you a fanboy, though.

windbane said:
Dolla Dolla said:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14298

"Speaking in a new article by the Financial Times, Wada suggested that the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 were poorly suited to the current market and that handheld consoles would continue to dominate sales this year, as the demographics of consumers fundamentally alters following the success of the Nintendo DS and Wii."

"[...] these consoles[360,PS3] are mismatched to today’s environment. In a year or two years they will fare better."

He also discusses why they chose the DS for Dragon Quest IX. Interesting article.

I am not anti-Wii.  I'm also not blindly accepting everything Nintendo does.

SE has announced as many Wii games as PS3 ones as far as I know.

Wii: FFCC, DQ Swords, Chocobo Mystery Dungeon
PS3: FF13, FF13 Vs., Last Remnant

windbane said:
Dolla Dolla said:
Good question: Would the CEO encourage holding Final Fantasy from being released if he thought it would fair better later in the PS3's life?

No, because it will sells millions of PS3s. FF creates its install base whereever it goes.

That so?  The last FF game sold barely as much as FFX-2... I'd say FF is subject to the same criteria any game is:  It needs to be good, it needs to be affordable (and on an affordable system), and it needs to be simple enough for mass market acceptance.  I've played every FF game ever made, and am a fanboy of the series without a doubt, but I will drop FF in a flash before I pay 700 bucks to play it (600 for console 60 for game plust tax).  I will do the same for Zelda, Mario, Metroid, MGS, God of War, and EVERY other game genre I like if i have to make that choice.  I am a commited gamer, but I have financial limits as a college student.