By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square-Enix CEO Says 360, PS3 Over-engineered

DKII said:
SE has announced as many Wii games as PS3 ones as far as I know.

Wii: FFCC, DQ Swords, Chocobo Mystery Dungeon
PS3: FF13, FF13 Vs., Last Remnant

I rest my case. 

Around the Network
naznatips said:
windbane said:
Dolla Dolla said:
Good question: Would the CEO encourage holding Final Fantasy from being released if he thought it would fair better later in the PS3's life?

No, because it will sells millions of PS3s. FF creates its install base whereever it goes.

That so? The last FF game sold barely as much as FFX-2... I'd say FF is subject to the same criteria any game is: It needs to be good, it needs to be affordable (and on an affordable system), and it needs to be simple enough for mass market acceptance. I've played every FF game ever made, and am a fanboy of the series without a doubt, but I will drop FF in a flash before I pay 700 bucks to play it (600 for console 60 for game plust tax). I will do the same for Zelda, Mario, Metroid, MGS, God of War, and EVERY other game genre I like if i have to make that choice. I am a commited gamer, but I have financial limits as a college student.

So you would only play MGS, God of War, and FF on the PS3?  That's already 3 exclusives (4 counting FF13 VS).

But yes, I expect FF13 to sell millions of consoles, just like MGS4.  The highest selling FF games ever are FF7 and FFX.  Those were the first released on the PS1 and PS2 respectively.

As far as Zelda, Mario, and Metroid...again, that's already a lot of games.  I understand being a college student, but I bought my PS3 before I graduated and I'm doing just fine.  Getting my Wii soon. 

DKII said:

and a LOT more Nintendo games overall if you count the DS. 

DQIX, FFXII:RW, FF:CC (DS), FFIV, Children of Mana, DQ: Heroes, DQ: Monsters, FFIII, FF Chocobo Tales, FFT:A2, Heroes of Mana, It's a Wonderful World, Mario Hoops: 3 on 3 (didn't expect that one did ya!)

That's 13 DS games compared to

CC:FFVII, Dissidia:FF, FFI, FFII (disgusting that these are seperate games btw), FFT, Star Ocean, Star Ocean 2, Valkyrie Profile

8 PSP games.  Pretty sad, especially considering only TWO of them aren't remakes.  If you really think Square Enix has any loyalty to Sony whatsoever you aren't paying much attention to the industry right now.  They are a publisher, and they are in the industry to make MONEY.  Of course not all games are going to be suddenly abandoned for Wii versions but you are fooling yourself if you don't think they will shift development focus.

naznatips said:
DKII said:

DQIX, FFXII:RW, FF:CC (DS), FFIV, Children of Mana, DQ: Heroes, DQ: Monsters, FFIII, FF Chocobo Tales, FFT:A2, Heroes of Mana, It's a Wonderful World, Mario Hoops: 3 on 3 (didn't expect that one did ya!)

CC:FFVII, Dissidia:FF, FFI, FFII (disgusting that these are seperate games btw), FFT, Star Ocean, Star Ocean 2, Valkyrie Profile

8 PSP games. Pretty sad, especially considering only TWO of them aren't remakes. If you really think Square Enix has any loyalty to Sony whatsoever you aren't paying much attention to the industry right now. They are a publisher, and they are in the industry to make MONEY. Of course not all games are going to be suddenly abandoned for Wii versions but you are fooling yourself if you don't think they will shift development focus.

And most of the new games I look forward to are on the PS3 and PSP. Great for me.

Heroes of Mana and Mario Hoops already received terrible ratings, FFIV and FF3 are also remakes.  I'd rather play FFT again instead.  They updated the translation and added cut scenes throughout.  Stylistic ones, as well.  I would like to play FFT:A2 perhaps, we'll see.

I very much favor the PS3/PSP games there. 

windbane said:
naznatips said:
windbane said:
Dolla Dolla said:
Good question: Would the CEO encourage holding Final Fantasy from being released if he thought it would fair better later in the PS3's life?

No, because it will sells millions of PS3s. FF creates its install base whereever it goes.

That so? The last FF game sold barely as much as FFX-2... I'd say FF is subject to the same criteria any game is: It needs to be good, it needs to be affordable (and on an affordable system), and it needs to be simple enough for mass market acceptance. I've played every FF game ever made, and am a fanboy of the series without a doubt, but I will drop FF in a flash before I pay 700 bucks to play it (600 for console 60 for game plust tax). I will do the same for Zelda, Mario, Metroid, MGS, God of War, and EVERY other game genre I like if i have to make that choice. I am a commited gamer, but I have financial limits as a college student.

So you would only play MGS, God of War, and FF on the PS3? That's already 3 exclusives (4 counting FF13 VS).

But yes, I expect FF13 to sell millions of consoles, just like MGS4. The highest selling FF games ever are FF7 and FFX. Those were the first released on the PS1 and PS2 respectively.

As far as Zelda, Mario, and Metroid...again, that's already a lot of games. I understand being a college student, but I bought my PS3 before I graduated and I'm doing just fine. Getting my Wii soon.

MGS is an even less realistic system seller, considering every sequel has sold fewere than the last game, the last one being a HUGE drop of 1.6 million sales. It's right up there with Metroid Prime 3 and God of War in overestimated system sellers.

Around the Network
windbane said:
naznatips said:
DKII said:

8 PSP games. Pretty sad, especially considering only TWO of them aren't remakes. If you really think Square Enix has any loyalty to Sony whatsoever you aren't paying much attention to the industry right now. They are a publisher, and they are in the industry to make MONEY. Of course not all games are going to be suddenly abandoned for Wii versions but you are fooling yourself if you don't think they will shift development focus.

And most of the new games I look forward to are on the PS3 and PSP. Great for me.

Heroes of Mana and Mario Hoops already received terrible ratings, FFIV and FF3 are also remakes. I'd rather play FFT again instead. They updated the translation and added cut scenes throughout. Stylistic ones, as well. I would like to play FFT:A2 perhaps, we'll see.

Well that's fine, that's your opinion.  But from an industry standpoint, the majority of SE support is certainly falling to the DS above the PSP.  Personally, I'm not big on rebuying games I already own.

naznatips said:
windbane said:
naznatips said:
windbane said:
Dolla Dolla said:

So you would only play MGS, God of War, and FF on the PS3? That's already 3 exclusives (4 counting FF13 VS).

But yes, I expect FF13 to sell millions of consoles, just like MGS4. The highest selling FF games ever are FF7 and FFX. Those were the first released on the PS1 and PS2 respectively.

As far as Zelda, Mario, and Metroid...again, that's already a lot of games. I understand being a college student, but I bought my PS3 before I graduated and I'm doing just fine. Getting my Wii soon.

MGS is an even less realistic system seller, considering every sequel has sold fewere than the last game, the last one being a HUGE drop of 1.6 million sales. It's right up there with Metroid Prime 3 and God of War in overestimated system sellers.

Again, MGS1 and MGS2 were the first on the PS1 and PS2 respectively.  MGS4 will do better than MGS3 did, despite the highly "disappointing" 4 million in sales.

naznatips said:
windbane said:
naznatips said:
DKII said:

Heroes of Mana and Mario Hoops already received terrible ratings, FFIV and FF3 are also remakes. I'd rather play FFT again instead. They updated the translation and added cut scenes throughout. Stylistic ones, as well. I would like to play FFT:A2 perhaps, we'll see.

Well that's fine, that's your opinion. But from an industry standpoint, the majority of SE support is certainly falling to the DS above the PSP. Personally, I'm not big on rebuying games I already own.

Ok...I'd rather rebuy a good game than buy a terrible game. FF7: Crisis Core and FF: Dissidia are very anticipated. Can't say the same about many of those DS games.  I'd say it's even between those and DQ9 and FF12.

Btw, what is more disgusting, the fact that FF1 and FF2 are seperate games (but cheap, and stuff was added), or that every Mana game has sucked since Secret of Mana and Mario Hoops sucked?

Yeah, all 4 of those games had money just poured into them, huh? 

windbane said:
Btw, what is more disgusting, the fact that FF1 and FF2 are seperate games (but cheap, and stuff was added), or that every Mana game has sucked since Secret of Mana and Mario Hoops sucked?

What kind of logic is that?

However much you like the PSP games, and however much in your opinion (and any others for that matter) Secret of mana and mario hoops suck, it still does not change the fact that Square-Enix seems to have shifted their focus. You are strange man.