By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square-Enix CEO Says 360, PS3 Over-engineered

albionus said:
windbane said:

IGN's take...or, as I like to call it, the second link on google: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/643/643170p1.html

Atari VCS launched in 1977 for $249.99 $811.21 in 2005
Nintendo Entertainment System launched in 1985 for $199.99 $354.91 in 2005
SEGA Genesis launched in 1989 for $249.99$389.67 in 2005
NeoGeo launched in 1990 for $699.99
$1041.12 in 2005
Super Nintendo launched in 1991 for $199.99
$282.21 in 2005
Jaguar launched in 1993 for $249.99
$328.69 in 2005
3DO Interactive Multiplayer launched in 1993 for $699.95$920.30 in 2005
SEGA Saturn launched in 1995 for $399.99$497.66 in 2005
Nintendo 64 launched in 1996 for $199.99
$242.75 in 2005
SEGA Dreamcast launches in 1999 for $199.99$228.09 in 2005
PlayStation launched in 1995 for $299.99 $372.01 in 2005
PlayStation 2 launched in 2000 for $299.99$333.15 in 2005
Xbox Launched in 2001 for $299.99
$325.34 in 2005
GameCube launched in 2001 for $199.99
$216.89 in 2005

Costs about as much as a PS1 did.

If you note I said it costed about the same as a PS1 at launch, I then looked at the PS1's price over 2 years and the 360's. It's not as important how much it costs at launch but rather how much it costs over it's lifetime. Unless you think it matters to people that the PS1 was $371 at launch when 21 months later they are thinking of buying one for $180. I don't think it's important but you seem to have a launch price obsession, as if people forever associate a system with its launch price (ok, that may just be the case with the PS3). The PS1 had already been 33% cheaper for 10 months at this point and was about to fall to 50% cheaper. The 360 still sits at 100% (well,~96% with inflation) with a possible drop to 75% at a point after the PS1 had already reached 50%. Of course let's not forget the 360 is a little bit more expensive from the get go, so it's averaging well above the PS1 in its total average price. That is, it's an expensive video game system to most people.

Ok, you win.  360 sucks. 

Around the Network

@windbane
A second thank you is in order. It took me a little while to respond since I had to take time to enjoy that (actually I was out, but anyways). A major point though, I never said the 360 sucked just that it was more expensive.

albionus said:
@windbane
A second thank you is in order. It took me a little while to respond since I had to take time to enjoy that (actually I was out, but anyways). A major point though, I never said the 360 sucked just that it was more expensive.

I think a point that many of the strongest ps3 and xbo360 fans seem to miss is that very few wii fans are saying the PS3 and xbox360 suck.  Most if not all agree that they are both technically much more advanced than the wii is and have much better graphics.  What they claim is that it doesn't matter and they prefer the possible gameplay advancements over graphics.  It is more common for the PS3 fans (blue especially) that derisively dismiss the wii as "old tech" and "kiddie".  In my opinion this diminishes those opinions because they can't express their preference without reverting to childish schoolyard insults and taunts.

Kytiara said:
albionus said:
@windbane

I think a point that many of the strongest ps3 and xbo360 fans seem to miss is that very few wii fans are saying the PS3 and xbox360 suck. Most if not all agree that they are both technically much more advanced than the wii is and have much better graphics. What they claim is that it doesn't matter and they prefer the possible gameplay advancements over graphics. It is more common for the PS3 fans (blue especially) that derisively dismiss the wii as "old tech" and "kiddie". In my opinion this diminishes those opinions because they can't express their preference without reverting to childish schoolyard insults and taunts.

...and most eloquently stated... 

albionus said:
@windbane

Yeah, it's more expensive, although not by a ridiculous amount.  Doesn't change the fact that it sucks.

Kidding aside...Kytiara, many Wii fans do say the PS3 and 360 suck.  They say it over and over on this forum.  Maybe when sales catch up to monthly Wii numbers for the PS3 (and maybe 360) then more of those guys will look at this website.   

Around the Network

"In my opinion,this 7th generation,so far,is terrible."

rofl

dude you are either jaded or you dont like videogames

"And most of the new games I look forward to are on the PS3 and PSP. Great for me.

Heroes of Mana and Mario Hoops already received terrible ratings, FFIV and FF3 are also remakes.  I'd rather play FFT again instead.  They updated the translation and added cut scenes throughoutStylistic ones, as well.  I would like to play FFT:A2 perhaps, we'll see.

I very much favor the PS3/PSP games there. "

ROFL, ya...

BTW

if anyone thinks the 360 sucks they do not like video games..ps3 does suck right now..but in 1 1/2 -2 years it gonna be off the hook,most likely

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

weezy said:

"In my opinion,this 7th generation,so far,is terrible."

rofl

dude you are either jaded or you dont like videogames

"And most of the new games I look forward to are on the PS3 and PSP. Great for me.

Heroes of Mana and Mario Hoops already received terrible ratings, FFIV and FF3 are also remakes. I'd rather play FFT again instead. They updated the translation and added cut scenes throughout. Stylistic ones, as well. I would like to play FFT:A2 perhaps, we'll see.

I very much favor the PS3/PSP games there. "

ROFL, ya...

BTW

if anyone thinks the 360 sucks they do not like video games..ps3 does suck right now..but in 1 1/2 -2 years it gonna be off the hook,most likely

The PS3 doesn't suck.  The last month has been rather slow, but Calling All Cars, Warhawk, Folksoul demo, and still Oblivion have kept me very busy.

My gamefly account is loaded for the end of this month though:  Rainbow 6, The Darkness, Transformers (depending on reviews of course...spider-man 3 and pirates didn't exactly impress..was there a shrek game?),  The Bigs,  Ninja Gaiden Sigma (7/2/07), and a few weeks later my favorite sports game:  NCAA Football 08!

Oh, and those cutscenes in FFT for the PSP are throughout the game and the plotline has been enhanced and streamlined.  It's actually a good remake. 

windbane said:
albionus said:
@windbane

Yeah, it's more expensive, although not by a ridiculous amount.  Doesn't change the fact that it sucks.

I think most (aka, the mass market) would consider $100 extra for a video game system to at least border on ridiculous but that would be debating magnitude when the major point of contention was direction where we are in general agreement.  If I were a small man I'd make 'Windbane- "the 360 sucks"' as my posting signature.  However, I'm not and you're not an out right fanboy fanatic like Kwaad or Hus so it wouldn't serve any purpose.

Yojimbo said:
Square-enix I hear you, I will come back to console gaming after 2 years. Seriously PC gaming is dying really. PS3/360 is taking all the exclusives from it. Why make it on pc when so many people pirate. And why bet on ps3/360 when you can make cheaper games on Wii and sell it to bigger crowd. I am PC/PS fan and I am losing in two places. Its going to be interesting to see how much pc games like Crysis, Hellgate London, Age of Conan will sell. Have not played a good pc game for 6 months now >_<. Thanks for Halo 2 till PC F****** Microsoft after three years. Hope not Rockstar does the same thing with GTAIV.

Come say that after SC2 comes out... That game will probably break a few sales records and close some businesses here and there because no one shows up on launch day.

The whole pirate scare is just that. You dont normally lose sales to people who pirate because they wouldnt have baught the game to begin with. Most pirates are young folks with little to no money or people who dont want to spend money on a game they may not like (kind of like downloading a demo...). Some of the biggest franchises (gaming~Blizzard and music~Metalica & many others) in history became that way because they were pirated and given to people who would have never tried those products to begin with anyway. Besides... those who really want to pirate will just get a mod chip on their console and just copy games anyway.

I honestly dont feel as big of a loss on the PC since most console games plain stink anyway. I do however hate what happened to the Oblivion... Other than that we didnt really lose anything worthwhile that I can think of. GTA will never be as big on the PC as on consoles due to the very different player demographics.

windbane said:
albionus said:
@windbane

Yeah, it's more expensive, although not by a ridiculous amount. Doesn't change the fact that it sucks.

Kidding aside...Kytiara, many Wii fans do say the PS3 and 360 suck. They say it over and over on this forum. Maybe when sales catch up to monthly Wii numbers for the PS3 (and maybe 360) then more of those guys will look at this website.

?

I really can't agree with anyone who says the Xbox360 or PS3 sucks? What gaming console sucks for that matter at all? Both are powerful obviously, in my opinion they are both way inferior to PCs, but they have great game lineups. Its just that in my opinion the experiance may not justify the cost.(well maybe the ps3)

The Wii on the other hand is priced right. In my opinion if I were a graphics junkie, I would be devouring my PC, I just expect something else from console games.