By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii still sold out

superchunk said: Well the actual figures are that Wii is outselling PS3 by 3 to 1. So, sold out and available at retailer's online shops and physical stores is means a lot.
Not if Sony shipped 10,000 PS3s, and Nintendo 40,000 Wiis. Show me the numbers.

PSN - hanafuda

Around the Network

BenKenobi88 said: Best Buy had a few PS3's for sale...it had 8. Circuit City had 6. Wal Mart had none...unless they were keeping them behind the counter or something.
At this rate, Sony could have 2mill ready for the Europe launch. Going to be very interesting to see how it sells. The silly thing is this - since its a "region-free" console, anyone in Europe is much better off importing one (from Japan is probably the cheapest - save hundreds!).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

hanafuda said: superchunk said: Well the actual figures are that Wii is outselling PS3 by 3 to 1. So, sold out and available at retailer's online shops and physical stores is means a lot. Not if Sony shipped 10,000 PS3s, and Nintendo 40,000 Wiis. Show me the numbers.
That might be the numbers, however, of the 10,000 shipped ps3's a few thousad would be sitting in warehouses in order for all of the retailers to offer them in online shops. Where as the 40,000 wiis get sold quickly and since they now and expect this don't even offer online orders. I think you are missing the point. Regardless of what Sony is shipping, they are not selling that fast. Otherwise all of these retailers would not offer them online. The Wii's on ther other hand are selling as quickly as they come in and therefor the retailer cannot put them on thier websites for sell.

superchunk said: That might be the numbers, however, of the 10,000 shipped ps3's a few thousad would be sitting in warehouses in order for all of the retailers to offer them in online shops. Where as the 40,000 wiis get sold quickly and since they now and expect this don't even offer online orders. I think you are missing the point. Regardless of what Sony is shipping, they are not selling that fast. Otherwise all of these retailers would not offer them online. The Wii's on ther other hand are selling as quickly as they come in and therefor the retailer cannot put them on thier websites for sell.
I'm not talking about what the PS3 sells or doesn't sell. I'm talking about anything that is claimed to be, 'sold out'. It is irrelevant if it is sold out or not if only small numbers have actually been sold. Once again, show me the numbers... Just how many Wiis were sold in North America in January?

PSN - hanafuda

I just looked at shipment totals. And was thinking. The Wii came to America in 3 shipment phases. Launch, 2nd and 3rd wave. If you look at the numbers in japan on it's launch stuff... It wouldn't surprise me if nintendo ships more Wii's to japan... And what I'm referring to on that it wouldn't surprise me if there are 250-350k wii's shipped/sold in January.However looking at sony's numbers... and the fact the PS3 IS selling fairly well... it wouldn't surprise me if it has closed the gap stateside. Because you gotta rember... every PS3 sale is like 2 Wii sales. So if the PS3 sells even 200,000 It's not exactly bad. If it sells the exact same as the Wii. It's a win for sony. If it sells more than the wii. I will say this now. Goodbye Wii. Soldout or not. The PS3 is a beast. Everyone can admit. Once the PS3 gets established... We know what will happen. The same thing that happens when the most expensive console gets established. It reigns supreme. Now I dont think it will quite stamp the Wii out. I'm not gonna sell my Wii. I still wanna play MP3. And hopefully if Nintendo does it. a new pikman. And the Super Smash. However... If the PS3 starts outselling the Wii... big budget games will defiantly be PS3. As it can then be ported to 360. A big budget game on the Wii... is exclusive. (someone mentioned games like transformers coming to the Wii. Quick point on that. I will be surprised if it is the same game as PS3/360. I'm thinking it will be like multi platform games on the DS. Totally different.) Now on that point. They might be better... might not. But usually it's lower budget than the true multiplatform version.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

I think most people forgot that 600k in December was a decent amount considering they also launched the console in Europe AND Japan in December. Personally I'd expect about 500k to be the standard numbers for the U.S, Japan did just under 400k for January, and probably about the same numbers as Japan in Europe.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Thinks might get a little better after the eleventh. The rumours are that the Wii will have a "relaunch" then, with much larger shipments than in the previous weeks. I wouldn't be suprised if they all sell out, but it'll still ease the strain a little bit.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Kwaad said: I just looked at shipment totals. And was thinking. The Wii came to America in 3 shipment phases. Launch, 2nd and 3rd wave. If you look at the numbers in japan on it's launch stuff... It wouldn't surprise me if nintendo ships more Wii's to japan... And what I'm referring to on that it wouldn't surprise me if there are 250-350k wii's shipped/sold in January.However looking at sony's numbers... and the fact the PS3 IS selling fairly well... it wouldn't surprise me if it has closed the gap stateside. Because you gotta rember... every PS3 sale is like 2 Wii sales. So if the PS3 sells even 200,000 It's not exactly bad. If it sells the exact same as the Wii. It's a win for sony. If it sells more than the wii. I will say this now. Goodbye Wii. Soldout or not. The PS3 is a beast. Everyone can admit. Once the PS3 gets established... We know what will happen. The same thing that happens when the most expensive console gets established. It reigns supreme. Now I dont think it will quite stamp the Wii out. I'm not gonna sell my Wii. I still wanna play MP3. And hopefully if Nintendo does it. a new pikman. And the Super Smash. However... If the PS3 starts outselling the Wii... big budget games will defiantly be PS3. As it can then be ported to 360. A big budget game on the Wii... is exclusive. (someone mentioned games like transformers coming to the Wii. Quick point on that. I will be surprised if it is the same game as PS3/360. I'm thinking it will be like multi platform games on the DS. Totally different.) Now on that point. They might be better... might not. But usually it's lower budget than the true multiplatform version.
I don't understand your logic behind the "PS3 sales is like 2 Wii Sales"?? It doesn't make any sense. also the "if the PS3 starts outselling the Wii... big budget games will come to the PS3" comment makes me think of "What came first, the chicken or the egg" PS3 sales will not pick up till Big Budget games are made for the PS3, but Big Budget games won't be made till more PS3 are sold. See the flaw??

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Kwaad said: Because you gotta rember... every PS3 sale is like 2 Wii sales. So if the PS3 sells even 200,000 It's not exactly bad. If it sells the exact same as the Wii. It's a win for sony. If it sells more than the wii. I will say this now. Goodbye Wii. Soldout or not.
A PS3 sale is NOT like 2 Wii sales. A PS3 sale is one console. A Wii sale is one console. Sure, it takes more money and will to buy a PS3, but that does not mean it's twice the sale...if you're talking money...then Nintendo wins on every sale, since Sony loses money on every PS3. Every single console sold for both companies means games bought for that one console. If it sells the exact same as the Wii, that's an accomplishment for Sony...but that means they're tied...that does not mean Sony wins. In fact, with your logic, I'd be more inclined to say Nintendo wins if they sell the same amount, because Nintendo makes a profit and has a higher attach rate. Don't flame me for that argument because you would use the same argument if Sony was the company making a profit and having a higher attach rate. You know it.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Ever since Launch until Nov.19th, the day I got my Wii, they weren't a single Wii EVERYWHERE near by. The local Best Buy HAD some PS3s, but absolutely no Wiis. See, here's the thing. People who worked at your local BestBuy, EBGames, GameStop, Wal-Mart will NOT release any info at all on the upcoming shipments. If you came up to them and asked, "Do you happen to kno when exactly will you guys get a Wii or PS3s?" they'll flat-out lie to you and say, "I don't know really...Might be Thursday....Saturday maybe...". Every single employee will not release any info about any shipments because A) People will start queueing up outside the stores and B)What if something happened to one person, and that person sued the store because it happened in their property? I mean, people HAVE been fighting, I mean literally, fighting for PS3s and Wiis. I heard that a guy was SHOT TO DEATH after running away with two PS3s. I got lucky with getting the Wii because my local GameStop was actually blessed with 9 Wiis. But the kicker was they had a PS3 and my brother was actually gonna buy it, but realised....PS3 or $500+ Car Payment? Naturally, he went with the car payment. Also, when Kwaad said that "every PS3 sale is like 2 Wii sales", he PROBARLY(I dunno really) meant that with the hefty price of $600, you could buy two Wiis(Tell you the truth, me and my brother spend close to $800 worth of Wii games, accessories and Virtual Console Games.). Now then, it COULD possibly be Sony's plan to stock up on PS3s until the Europe Launch begins to get ya' know, like a small boost. I'm really not inclined to anything right now, Wii, PS3 or Xbox360, because I really, REALLY don't care about who wins. So what if this console wins? Big deal, all I wanna do is sit on my ass for 6 hours and play my Wii!