By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii still sold out

Chachoregard - I love you your post. Makes alot of sense. :) I agree with everything you say. (you speak opinion) Everyone else - When I say a PS3 = 2 Wiis. I am talking. Fictional data. Sony sells 500,000 PS3's. Average cost 575$. (at least 3/4 PS3s are 60gb) That's. 287,500,000 287.5million spent buying PS3 consoles. (for 500,000) Now lets see how many Wiis would need to be sold for that. 1,150,000 For a dollar to dollar value. so now let's get a base number. 500,000*2 = 1million 1150000*2 = 2,300,000 Wich puts a value of... for every PS3 sold... Nintendo needs to sell 2.3Wiis to have people 'investing' the same on the console. And if you think you and your brothers 800$ is alot. ROFL. I alone have spent in the ballpark of 2800$ for my PS3. Am I rich? no. Am I paying 100$ a month because of it? yes. Yeah. I bought my TV for my PS3.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

Kwaad said: Chachoregard - I love you your post. Makes alot of sense. :) I agree with everything you say. (you speak opinion) Everyone else - When I say a PS3 = 2 Wiis. I am talking. Fictional data. Sony sells 500,000 PS3's. Average cost 575$. (at least 3/4 PS3s are 60gb) That's. 287,500,000 287.5million spent buying PS3 consoles. (for 500,000) Now lets see how many Wiis would need to be sold for that. 1,150,000 For a dollar to dollar value. so now let's get a base number. 500,000*2 = 1million 1150000*2 = 2,300,000 Wich puts a value of... for every PS3 sold... Nintendo needs to sell 2.3Wiis to have people 'investing' the same on the console. And if you think you and your brothers 800$ is alot. ROFL. I alone have spent in the ballpark of 2800$ for my PS3. Am I rich? no. Am I paying 100$ a month because of it? yes. Yeah. I bought my TV for my PS3.
Sony doesn't make a profit on PS3's, but Nintendo makes a profit off of every Wii ROFL Learn the difference between net revenue and net profit ROFL

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Kwaad said: Chachoregard - I love you your post. Makes alot of sense. :) I agree with everything you say. (you speak opinion) Everyone else - When I say a PS3 = 2 Wiis. I am talking. Fictional data. Sony sells 500,000 PS3's. Average cost 575$. (at least 3/4 PS3s are 60gb) That's. 287,500,000 287.5million spent buying PS3 consoles. (for 500,000) Now lets see how many Wiis would need to be sold for that. 1,150,000 For a dollar to dollar value. so now let's get a base number. 500,000*2 = 1million 1150000*2 = 2,300,000 Wich puts a value of... for every PS3 sold... Nintendo needs to sell 2.3Wiis to have people 'investing' the same on the console. And if you think you and your brothers 800$ is alot. ROFL. I alone have spent in the ballpark of 2800$ for my PS3. Am I rich? no. Am I paying 100$ a month because of it? yes. Yeah. I bought my TV for my PS3.
So how does this have any impact on which console gets the big games? The game developers care about two things, how much it costs to make a game and how many games they can sell. Right now its cheaper to develop for the Wii, and they can sell more games for the Wii and 360. Why do you think EA, Activistion, and others are quickly ramping up their Wii development. Its all about the money they'll make. You should at least try to make sense when you post. It really livens up the discussions.

Yeah, their all cranking out 6month games so they can sell a game that cost 500,000$ for 50$... and have hundreds of thousands of sales on a game that Most people I know iRL wouldnt buy for 5$. Do you rember where it was posed there are 15 games in dev at EA? at PS3 launch, EA annouced they have either 20 or 30 some in dev. Moral of the story. STILL alot more than the Wii. It's just... when you make a game for the PS3. it's not. OMGZOR. ARE YOU SERIOUS? YOUR MAKEING A GAME FOR SONY?!?!?!?! Uhh... sony has been the #1 console for... well... 10 years now. And well... Everyone either makes games for Sony. OR... is owned by microsoft... OR is nintendo. When people who made games exclusivly for PS2 are jumping ship to make low budget games for the Wii is BIG news... The PS3 has more games coming than Wii. It has almost as almost double the exclusives as the Wii this year. My point is... Wii = low budget junk games. PS3 = high budget games... normally worth buying. (junk games can be REALLY fun for what their worth. EG: Flow. Would be REALLY fun on the Wii... however it would be sold for 50$... wich it aint worth)

Stupidest argument EVER. You forget that even though Sony makes that much money off half the consoles as Nintendo, Nintendo gets twice the consoles...and that's more important. For Sony, it's the games that will end up getting them a profit...but if Nintendo has two Wiis for every PS3...that means double the games too. And actually, it's WAY more than double, with the Wii having a higher attach rate. And, since we don't live in a fictional world...let's face the facts. 4.5 million Wiis sold compared to 1.71 million PS3's. That's considerably more than double the PS3's. Sony needs games to end with a profit...but Wii makes a profit from the start...and then makes more profit off more games per console than the PS3. Those are the facts, and they are unflinchingly rigid. FACE!

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

BenKenobi88 said:You forget that even though Sony makes that much money off half the consoles as Nintendo, Nintendo gets twice the consoles...and that's more important. For Sony, it's the games that will end up getting them a profit...but if Nintendo has two Wiis for every PS3...that means double the games too. And actually, it's WAY more than double, with the Wii having a higher attach rate. And, since we don't live in a fictional world...let's face the facts. 4.5 million Wiis sold compared to 1.71 million PS3's. That's considerably more than double the PS3's. Sony needs games to end with a profit...but Wii makes a profit from the start...and then makes more profit off more games per console than the PS3. FACE!
You forget Sony is not a console exclusive company. They are making money on every Blu-ray sold and every Sony HDTV sold because people bought a PS3. It may take them longer to make the money back on Blu-ray licensing because they only get a percentage of it. But Blu-ray movie sales have jumped largely because of the PS3. How many DVDs do you have? Where Nintendo can only make money on games and peripherals. If they are going for the non-gamer for parties they only need to buy a few games. Now they have no need to buy more games and the attach rate will not grow over time unlike the PS3/360. ?FACE?

The reason EA has more games for PS3 is because they've been in development since before the system launched. I guarantee that there will be more exclusive games for the Wii from EA and everyone else in 2008. The trend is clear, even if you don't want to see it. Wii is getting more support and exclusives, PS3 is getting less. It will only get worse unless Sony starts moving a lot more units, which will require a price drop. Otherwise, anything that is targeted for the PS3 in the future, will go to the 360 also. Its simple economics. As for low budget "junk" games, that's your opinion. The PS2 thrived because there were so many diverse games that it appealed to a larger audience. Games thought of as "junk" by many are considered great by others. Personally, I could care less how much a games costs to develop, just that I like it. This generation the Wii will clearly have the most diverse lineup. Wii sports, Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Cooking Mama, Fire Emblem, Trauma Center, DDR, Guitar Hero, Manhunt, Wii music, etc. Pretty much runs the gamut for games. Each will appeal to a different set of people. Not a chance that the PS3 or 360 has as diverse a lineup of games. Won't happen.

Kwaad said: Yeah, their all cranking out 6month games so they can sell a game that cost 500,000$ for 50$... and have hundreds of thousands of sales on a game that Most people I know iRL wouldnt buy for 5$. Do you rember where it was posed there are 15 games in dev at EA? at PS3 launch, EA annouced they have either 20 or 30 some in dev. Moral of the story. STILL alot more than the Wii. It's just... when you make a game for the PS3. it's not. OMGZOR. ARE YOU SERIOUS? YOUR MAKEING A GAME FOR SONY?!?!?!?! Uhh... sony has been the #1 console for... well... 10 years now. And well... Everyone either makes games for Sony. OR... is owned by microsoft... OR is nintendo. When people who made games exclusivly for PS2 are jumping ship to make low budget games for the Wii is BIG news... The PS3 has more games coming than Wii. It has almost as almost double the exclusives as the Wii this year. My point is... Wii = low budget junk games. PS3 = high budget games... normally worth buying. (junk games can be REALLY fun for what their worth. EG: Flow. Would be REALLY fun on the Wii... however it would be sold for 50$... wich it aint worth)
Actually, PS3 suddenly doesn't have a ton more games coming than Wii. There's been about a dozen Wii game announcements just over the last 8 days or so... Dewy, DDR, Manhunt, Guitar Hero, Godzilla, Zorro... Some trash games, some should be excellent... Looking at the lists over at Gamespot, they list 246 Wii games and 230 PS3 games... Those lists include 55 Virtual Console games though, plus a bunch of PS downloadables, which puts PS3 ahead, but only by 2 dozen games or so... And like you said, this is after 10 years of Sony domination, with mega-devs like EA not fully aboard yet... These facts haven't stopped the Wii from now having nearly as many coming games as PS3... With Wii moving more units, still selling out around the world, and being cheaper to develop for, how soon do you think its going to be that Wii passes up PS3 in terms of total announced games? I don't think it will take too long. There's some major events coming up which will be good for game announcments... You state that PS3 has twice as many exclusives this year as Wii... Do you have anything to back that up? I'd be really interested to know exactly how many exclusives each console has coming...

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

I dont feel like linking the list. But look at the launch lineup. There are around 9 PS3 exclusives worth BUYING comming out before Q3 starts. there are around... 3 for the Wii. and around 5 for the 360. Hate to say this but Every PS3 sony sales, they are getting something more imporant than profit. MARKET SHARE. in 2 years when they are on top... they will be racking in pure profit. If they had a crap system... they would have LITTLE market share in 2 years... meaning... NO profit. The Games coming. There are only about ~10 PSN games announced. Over 100 Wii games? really? http://wii.ign.com/index/release.html Really? That says something diffrent... really diffrent. http://ps3.ign.com/index/release.html Just look at that. After 6 months. I see the PS3 gaining market share in USA/Europe. (actually in 1.5 months I see gaining market share in europe, and slim chance even in USA) Actually in 3 months the PS3 might even come start outselling Wii... Look at sales numbers for last week in japan. Wii dropped 10% PS3 dropped 5%. Is Wii selling more? Yes. Is there anything worth playing in Japan for the PS3? no. Wait a few weeks I think. My point is. If I buy a 600$ console. (holy crap, I did, my dad did, and so did my brother) We all plan on useing it as our Primary console. I got the wii for kicks. One is turning into a linux E-mail box. All in All. the PS3 is going to make waves. It just needs something to make the waves. Also... Oblivion for the PS3 and all it's HORRIBLE load times ETC ETC. ROFL. X-Box360 load time. 15 seconds. PS3 load time. 3 seconds. OWNED! PS3 textures? Higher rez. OWNED! PS3 shaders? New! 360 got some too! Oh well. Welcome to the animal.

I'm not sure why Oblivion is the hot topic...PC's got both consoles owned there. 3 months for PS3 to outsell Wii? You, sir, give the PS3 too much credit. Both consoles are slowing down right now...all consoles do after the rush of the launch is over. The Wii dropped a little more than the PS3 dropped...but just a little. Wait a few weeks? Yeah. Wait a few weeks, and the Wii will have more games too. All in all...the Wii's the one making the waves...just read the news. It's the hot topic, like it or not, due to its appeal to non-gamers. And again...the PS3 may have more games lined up now...but after seeing the Wii's success, more developers are getting onboard the Wii train. Look online for developers looking to Nintendo in addition to the rest...more and more keep coming. Also...more games does not make it the better console...despite what you may believe. Maybe, in the end, more games will get the system more money, but I think a higher percentage of PS3 games are not worth buying compared to the Wii's selection. But that is just my preference...and you should not push your opinion on others as well. Maybe YOU think there are 9 PS3 games worth buying, but I say...there are definitely only 3. I say there are 6 Wii games worth buying, and 3 360 games. Just because you enjoy PS3 games so much, doesn't mean we do.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )