By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii still sold out

The wii is just the hottest key word cheapest system right now its not necissarily better than the 360 or ps3... in my opinion its not... but its cheap and different so people are eatin it up right now..its weird though because all the walmarts where i live are sold out of ps3s too.. gamestop and eb games have them but walmarts are always sold out eventuall i think ps3 will come out on top but its good to see the wii doin good

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

Around the Network

"I'm not going to to lie. I dont need to. I know what I've seen. You can say I'm lying. I don't say your full of ****. I dont say your lying. Stop being a jack*** because I don't believe what you believe." You're right. Calling you a liar is a little over the top. I apologize. BTW thanks for correcting my spelling. I will check to see if my local walmart has a same day/time shipment every week.

Bonafide732 said: The wii is just the hottest key word cheapest system right now its not necissarily better than the 360 or ps3... in my opinion its not... but its cheap and different so people are eatin it up right now..its weird though because all the walmarts where i live are sold out of ps3s too.. gamestop and eb games have them but walmarts are always sold out eventuall i think ps3 will come out on top but its good to see the wii doin good
What's interesting about your statement is that the same could be said in regards to the DS. It isn't better than the PSP in terms of raw power, overall features, etc. Yet, it has consistantly outsold the PSP 3 to 1. Why? Games. Until very recently the PSP selection of games was sucked at best. Now, there is a difference here. 360 has a couple really good games. PS3 will have some by end of year. However, the Wii has something neither of them do. Games that will/are considered really good by non-gamers. Also an area DS has over the PSP. Match that with the much lower price for the Wii and you have a system that will dominate. I am sure that is exactly what Miyamoto and crew said when they were designing the Wii's business model. Basically, let MS and Sony fight over the minority hardcore gamer crowd of 15-31 year old males who only see flash and bang. We will gladly take the majority of entertainment goers with a much more modest and affordable device.

On iTrackr, Wii availability is up to 23%. PS3 is still way up at 60%. I think people are going to be surprised by the January NPD numbers just as they were by the December numbers. Everyone was talking about 1.1 million Wiis sold in Dec, and now people think a similarly ridiculous number is going to be sold in Jan... I think substantially more Wiis will be sold than PS3s, but I don't think Nintendo have established a consistent, steady stream of Wii (never gets old...) yet, for whatever reason...

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

I live in a major metropolitan area and fly across the USA frequently. Based on what I have seen it seems that the US buys the consoles in three ways... Rich areas buy everything (with NJ and CT being the richest states in 2006 census data) Middle income areas buy 1 console generally, with a small number of hardcore gamers supporting all three platforms. The majority of Americans live like this. The problem here is if other critera become more important than games; adjustments will be made. Low income areas see dedicated casual gamers and 'dedicated' gamers. Casual gamers upgrade when they can justify the value in upgrading, by seeing great new ideas, or a continuation of what they like. Dedicated gamers wait until the hardware price comes down, then buy their console of choice, and 2-3 new games a year, and lots of cheaper, used games. I think Nintendo is tapping casuals, dedicated, the rich (who are trendy), some hard core, and many middle income folks. Sony is reaching the hardcore and the rich right now. I would go on to say that a hardcore game spends an ungodly percentage of his income on gaming...I did a survery of who owns what right now..my richest friends have PS3, my poorest friends have last gen stuff, and my middle income friends have either a Wii or 360. Microsoft is starting to tap the dedicated segment, casuals, middle income gamers right now. For gamers who need the most bang for their buck, 360 is very close to it's percieved value, but not quite cheap enough. The key is getting the hardware mass market, because the average American household (man and woman working) makes about $42,000. NJ is the only state that has been over $60,000 since this generation started (2005). Also consider, America has 300 million people. 75 million bought consoles last generation. Already 3/4 of the population did not buy consoles. Prices are higher this generation...implying less demand. Especially since some the 25th-75th percentile in American household income is like $25,000 to $75,000. I would consider $100,000 minimal for people who truly buy everything - highend computers, PS3, 360, Wii, DS, PSP, 9 controllers (3 extra per console), 6+ games per console per year, XBOX live, Wii shop games, PS3 downloadable content, high speed internet...$5000+ or so a year is nothing to sneeze at for the vast majority of consumers across the world, but reasonable for wealthy hardcore gamers. The problem is, 90% percent of American households make under $100,000...The figures are similar in England, Ireland, Japan, France, Canada and a few other markets.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

I owned a Wii since Nov. 25th but I am still looking to see if they are available and everytime I look they are sold out. Fricken crazy.

Systems I CURRENTLY Own: PLAYSTATION 3, Nintendo Wii, PC

Call of Duty 4 - Rank: 54 General II - K/D Ratio: 2.50

whatever said: Yeah. I see them sitting right next to the stacks of PS3's.
Yeah, but the point is that MS announced that the HD-DVD player was sold out, yet it only sold 40,000 units in the first month of sale. Maybe it did sell out, but only because there is no demand and MS only manufactured/shipped a pitiful amount of units as a result. Bottom line is that something being, 'sold out' doesn't actually mean anything until you get to look at the actual figures.

PSN - hanafuda

Well the actual figures are that Wii is outselling PS3 by 3 to 1. So, sold out and available at retailer's online shops and physical stores is means a lot.

I agree. They're trying to tap into all avenues for advertising they have the PS3's in stock. Where i live, it's a small community, made up primarily of retirees. There are many communities nearby even smaller than mine and I have a sneaking suspicion that these communities travel here (Since they have one if not ZERO retailers to provide them consoles) since I've only seen PS3's in stock ONCE and there were two, but they sold out the next day, and I saw three Wii's in stock and I picked one up then. Because we get so few shipments, usually one or two a week, it's not surprising that they sell out this fast when there's ~50,000 people in a 45 mile radius. I can only imagine that if sales stagnate they will start advertising more in paper about them being in stock, since I've yet to see any ads in the fliers that indicate they have PS3's or Wii's.

I stopped by Best Buy, Circuit City, and Wal Mart on my way home from work today, just because I was curious, (and also to get Diddy Kong Racing DS) Best Buy had a few PS3's for sale...it had 8. Circuit City had 6. Wal Mart had none...unless they were keeping them behind the counter or something. Nobody had the Wii. No Wiimotes either. A few nunchucks at Circuit City, and plenty of Classic Controllers everywhere. I asked a guy at Best Buy if he knew when any Wiis were coming in, and he told me no, and that I was the 5th person to ask him today. I have 3 friends currently looking for a Wii, and they've been looking for a couple weeks now. It's crazy. None of my friends are looking for a PS3...and I do have some graphic whore friends...they get their jollies from PC gaming. I asked a couple if they were considering a purchase, and they said (a) For the price of a PS3, you could get some great PC parts, well on your way to a high-end, better-than-PS3 computer, and (b) There weren't any good games out for it. I did have one friend buy two PS3's at launch though. He sold one for $1000, but couldn't sell the second for a while. He ended up selling it a little below what he paid for it, just to get rid of it...he made a profit in the end.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )