By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anyone here disappointed in NPD's Wii Fit's sales?

well its sold out,if only ninty shipped more

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Ail said:
It's still a marketing failure.
It doesn't make sense to spend 30 million$ for the launch of a product that you are not able to stock.

It would have made more sense to spend less $ on marketing at launch and spend some later when Nintendo was able to stock retailers....

We won't be able to determine if Wii-Fit is a failure or not, from a marketing standpoint until this time next year.

It's certainly very convenient for PS3 fanboys to judge it based on upfront sales though.

I have a feeling that, in a year, you would be laughed at for calling anything to do with Wii-Fit a "failure."

However, if your goal is the short money ridicule, then more power too ya.

I'm not saying WiiFit is a failure, reread what I posted....

I am saying it does not make sense to spend so much $ on marketing when you know you don't have enough product to satisfy the demand.

In this case it would have made more sense to delay spending some of the marketing $ to a date where more product was available ( like around the holydays.).

A 20 million $ launch campaign would have provided exactly the same results and left 10 million more to spend around the holydays......

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:

I am saying it does not make sense to spend so much $ on marketing when you know you don't have enough product to satisfy the demand.

In this case it would have made more sense to delay spending some of the marketing $ to a date where more product was available ( like around the holydays.).

A 20 million $ launch campaign would have provided exactly the same results and left 10 million more to spend around the holydays......

There may be method in their madness. If their goal was to blitz public awareness, harvesting that interest as stock is available it was well worth it because I hardly meet anyone who isn't planning to get it at some point, even the most unlikely of potential gamers. If I'm wrong and they in fact over promoted, what the hell. Do the math on what they're raking in and the $30 M probably came out of the coffee fund.

I have to agree that spending $30mill on advertising a product that doesn't have close to the supply needed to fulfill demand is a pretty big waste. Although, it will create lots of hype for when it is in stock, and the fact it is out of stock currently will just make people want it that much more. People always want what they can't have.

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!

Their huge marketing is already over? I thought it was being spread out over the course of the next few months or even a year. I had no idea it was supposed to only be before launch, and if that is the case that was a horrible idea, because that's not how the "casuals" work.

Around the Network
Ail said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Ail said:
It's still a marketing failure.
It doesn't make sense to spend 30 million$ for the launch of a product that you are not able to stock.

It would have made more sense to spend less $ on marketing at launch and spend some later when Nintendo was able to stock retailers....

We won't be able to determine if Wii-Fit is a failure or not, from a marketing standpoint until this time next year.

It's certainly very convenient for PS3 fanboys to judge it based on upfront sales though.

I have a feeling that, in a year, you would be laughed at for calling anything to do with Wii-Fit a "failure."

However, if your goal is the short money ridicule, then more power too ya.

Yeah, what I meant to explain was that marketing effect doesn't end when a game is launched. Especially when supply constraint is keeping Wii-Fit fresh in their heads.

It's kinda like when the Wii first came out and there were advertisements everywhere. Once the word was out, they could pull them and put DS advertisements in its place. I have a feeling Wii-Fit is kinda like that.

We're humans, lol, nobody is gonna forget. Just watch the legs on this sucker.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I'd say we could have seen it comming.

The game sold almost 2.5M in 7 weeks, that's a lot. Nintendo do not want to overmake, and as BBs can be made cheaper in the future, they should try to keep it even.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Hmm its a hard one. Personally I thought that wii fit was overtracked a bit to begin with (no real reason it was just a hunch), but the reality is this title wont be front loaded at all and the us has a weak dollar. If I was an investor, I'd be pissed off if Nintendo spent 30 million in marketing and the title sold what it did. They should have delayed the launch and spent that money on marketing in Europe.

Wii Fit will become to the Wii what Nintendogs is to the DS - this is a marathon, not a sprint. They'll keep coming steadily and will have massive legs.

They'll probably up production and sell the balance board seperatly once a few AA balance board games gets released.

I could hopw that Wii Fit have strong legs and Ninty resolve the supply issues...

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg