By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - IGN AU Review MGS4 (9.5/10)

OK, let's use what you've said then. Noone who specifically dislikes the series should review it, but even given the assumption that both of these reviewers specifically dislike MGS as a series, they didn't give it poor reviews. An 8 is a fine review, and if you look at it as being from a non-fan then it's even better. If they were giving MGS4 a score of 3 and spewing hate in their then I would agree that their reviews are ridiculous. But giving the game an 8 is perfectly fine and not worthy of notice.

Around the Network

Great score, and not too great that people get mad at it for passing classic high rated games.

Shameless said:
@Torillian

MGS4 is not like other games. The storyline is such a major part of the series that anyone playing for the first time will obviously be generally clueless and have a worse experience than someone who has played all three prequels.

Putting someone on a MGS4 review who dislikes cutscenes or previous MGS games or has never played any of the prequels is as ridiculous as putting someone who dislikes cars on a review for a racing game.

Isn't that the point?

Sequels while they should continue the stories they should also be self contained.

If someone can't jump in from the start and understand what the fuck is going on that's a problem with the game.

Torillian said:
I read their reviews Darth, and yes there were some unprofessional things written in there, but I would lob that in the same group as those who give MGS4 the nod as the game that started this generation of consoles. Just different sides of the same unreasonable spectrum.

Shameless, having only fans of any series review that series would lead to artificially improved review averages. A review should be the opinion of the person playing, but if the only people that we allow to review a game are fans of the series then every game will just get 9-10 and we can just say fuck it and never review games since we know the answer already. Letting a variety of people review the game is best for the information to the consumer, since not everyone who buys MGS4 is going to be a long time fan.

Some good points but at the end of the day, the reasons given for it to lose points are ludicrous. If the game had bad graphics, poor sound, no lifespan, then yes, these reviews wouldnt be judged so harshly....but Edge seem to WANT to not give the game a high score (and yes i know 8/10 is fairly high...not as high as 9 or 10 tho )

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

colonelstubbs said:
Torillian said:
I read their reviews Darth, and yes there were some unprofessional things written in there, but I would lob that in the same group as those who give MGS4 the nod as the game that started this generation of consoles. Just different sides of the same unreasonable spectrum.

Shameless, having only fans of any series review that series would lead to artificially improved review averages. A review should be the opinion of the person playing, but if the only people that we allow to review a game are fans of the series then every game will just get 9-10 and we can just say fuck it and never review games since we know the answer already. Letting a variety of people review the game is best for the information to the consumer, since not everyone who buys MGS4 is going to be a long time fan.

Some good points but at the end of the day, the reasons given for it to lose points are ludicrous. If the game had bad graphics, poor sound, no lifespan, then yes, these reviews wouldnt be judged so harshly....but Edge seem to WANT to not give the game a high score (and yes i know 8/10 is fairly high...not as high as 9 or 10 tho )

Do you know how many games Edge has given a 10 to in it's career?

Edit: Why am i asking when i know i'll just have to respont anyawy.  9

Mario 64,

GT,

Ocarina of time,

Halo,

Half-life 2,

Halo 3,

Orange Box,

Mario Galaxy

and GTA4.

Around the Network

^they dont really give many 10's

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Kasz216 said:
colonelstubbs said:
Torillian said:

Edit: Why am i asking when i know i'll just have to respont anyawy.  9

Mario 64,

GT,

Ocarina of time,

Halo,

Half-life 2,

Halo 3,

Orange Box,

Mario Galaxy

and GTA4.

So MGS4 is 'worse' than Halo 3.....riiiiiight.....

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Sounds like the game is good. Good news for PS3 fans. Not my thing, I don't care for this or Splinter Cell type games. Don't like sneaking around.

colonelstubbs said:
Kasz216 said:
colonelstubbs said:
Torillian said:

Edit: Why am i asking when i know i'll just have to respont anyawy. 9

Mario 64,

GT,

Ocarina of time,

Halo,

Half-life 2,

Halo 3,

Orange Box,

Mario Galaxy

and GTA4.

I guarantee that Halo 3 will have more people playing in 2 months than MGS.  Hell, there are still people playing Halo 2 online.

JaggedSac said:
colonelstubbs said:
Kasz216 said:
colonelstubbs said:
Torillian said:

Edit: Why am i asking when i know i'll just have to respont anyawy. 9

Mario 64,

GT,

Ocarina of time,

Halo,

Half-life 2,

Halo 3,

Orange Box,

Mario Galaxy

and GTA4.

I guarantee that Halo 3 will have more people playing in 2 months than MGS. Hell, there are still people playing Halo 2 online.

Not to mention that nearly half their 10's are FPS. (10 if you count Golden Eye which was the only game they thought deserved a 10 they didn't give.) Edge is just the most "hardcore" of the magazines out there.