By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - IGN AU Review MGS4 (9.5/10)

i'm playing this one without playing any other mgs, this game has been received so well it obviously has reached a major level of video game design

Around the Network
Papa Rokks said:
i'm playing this one without playing any other mgs, this game has been received so well it obviously has reached a major level of video game design

Thats the spirit! Write a letter to Edge and tell them this, they might add to their bewlidering score for MGS4!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Oh c'mon Darth and Colonel, quit being such whiners. Some people won't like MGS4, that's the way of the world and different people having different opinions. The idea that the reviewers can't make a game of such quality so they shouldn't be able to review MGS4 harshly is just foolish and you know it. If that was true than most reviewers would have no right to review games, and we'd have to waste developers by forcing them to spend some of their time making other games.

All in all, just quit whining about two outlier reviews that have a history of giving more harsh reviews than other sites.

Torillian said:
Oh c'mon Darth and Colonel, quit being such whiners. Some people won't like MGS4, that's the way of the world and different people having different opinions. The idea that the reviewers can't make a game of such quality so they shouldn't be able to review MGS4 harshly is just foolish and you know it. If that was true than most reviewers would have no right to review games, and we'd have to waste developers by forcing them to spend some of their time making other games.

All in all, just quit whining about two outlier reviews that have a history of giving more harsh reviews than other sites.

Thats it. Im off to cut myself

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

@Torillian

The Edge and Eurogamer reviews were written by people who were relatively new to the series - an audience this game isn't designed for. This isn't supposed to be a mainstream, sell-out title; this is a game for the fans as Kojima has stated many times. It's not going to change the mind of someone who disliked the series so I don't understand the reasoning behind making them review the game.

It's obvious to see that people who enjoyed previous MGS games loved the new one.

Around the Network

I like edge though, they are a tough critic to please. You just can't just go on reviews for a video game though. This game is going to awesome and there is no doubt.

Look at all the reviews that have been collected and ALL of them say its great. (from like 30 perspectives across the world)

@torillian

you need to seriously READ their reviews....we're not whining about anything...they are just very unprofessionally written...especially the Edge one

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I read their reviews Darth, and yes there were some unprofessional things written in there, but I would lob that in the same group as those who give MGS4 the nod as the game that started this generation of consoles. Just different sides of the same unreasonable spectrum.

Shameless, having only fans of any series review that series would lead to artificially improved review averages. A review should be the opinion of the person playing, but if the only people that we allow to review a game are fans of the series then every game will just get 9-10 and we can just say fuck it and never review games since we know the answer already. Letting a variety of people review the game is best for the information to the consumer, since not everyone who buys MGS4 is going to be a long time fan.

Shameless said:
@Torillian

The Edge and Eurogamer reviews were written by people who were relatively new to the series - an audience this game isn't designed for. This isn't supposed to be a mainstream, sell-out title; this is a game for the fans as Kojima has stated many times. It's not going to change the mind of someone who disliked the series so I don't understand the reasoning behind making them review the game.

It's obvious to see that people who enjoyed previous MGS games loved the new one.

I actually completly disagree and think fans SHOULDN"T be allowed to review games because fans are generally unreasonable.

Any fan of MGS is going to get 4 no matter what the reviews say. Videogame reviews aren't for fans of sereis. They are for people who may or may not buy the series. In otherwords. New buyers.

The people whould should review games should be fairly objective. Someone who already loves MGS4 and thinks Kojima can't do anything wrong is like the last person that should be reviewing this game.

There is a reason mainstream movie critics review all movies.

I mean hell, if we are going to have fans of the series review the games, why not just let the company PR guy write the reveiws as unproffesional and fanboy like some people can get.

@Torillian

MGS4 is not like other games. The storyline is such a major part of the series that anyone playing for the first time will obviously be generally clueless and have a worse experience than someone who has played all three prequels.

Putting someone on a MGS4 review who dislikes cutscenes or previous MGS games or has never played any of the prequels is as ridiculous as putting someone who dislikes cars on a review for a racing game.