By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have any Jrpgs been a commercial success this gen?

A pokemon RPG on wii will sel millions, MILLIONS!!!

Around the Network
Soriku said:
FreeTalkLive said:
Poke on DS is huge
FF4 on DS is already profitable (only out in Japan)
DQ4 on DS is 1 million plus

I think he's just talking about console JRPGs. Handheld JRPG sales are a WHOLE other story :P
Sorry, thank you

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

ItsaMii said:
UI looks like a game built with all the parts SE found in "unused material for FF XII" box. That trailer is not enough to have a solid opinion on the game, but my impressions are not good at all. And what is Yuna doing in the game?

Isn't that what SE does now a days?  Just have all the developers pitch RPGs, and the best one gets moogles added and gets the Final Fantasy name while the rest become new Ips?

if you count portables then alot of them that are released on DS

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

It's sad...but Japan has been slow producing ANY kind of (console) game this generation (aside from Nintendo itself).

Around the Network
MANUELF said:

Don't we already have one of those? (Hint: It hasn't sold a million.)

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
MANUELF said:

Don't we already have one of those? (Hint: It hasn't sold a million.)

Wow, I thought you could recognize an rgpg when you saw it, this isn't even close to it.

LO sold around 700 000, but why you care so much about JRPGs? WRPG are much better. This is my opinion of course, but I know many people which were playing JRPG and now they shift to WRPGs.

Think people, think!
The only two consoles able to support JRPG just reached 1.5 years old. There's no way JRPG that can be a commercial success are released before a console has 1.5 years. They usually appear after that time, if only to have a sizable user base.
Dragon Quest Swords is an exception, as it sold well despite being a bad game: it's actually a big success, as it didn't cost a lot to make, but raked in lots of profit.

The first ones are coming, and the XB360, which is more than 2 years old, had its JRPG, but unfortunately it doesn't have the userbase to sustain it.
The userbase needs to be in Japan, as that's where JRPG mostly sell.

As for commercial success, it can happen with FFXIII, but I doubt the genre can survive on HD consoles. The problem is that the current values of the HD consoles imply more epic JRPG, with better graphics, better cutscenes, better sound, ... All of this cost more money. Unfortunately, as we've seen, sales are less or equal to last gen. But last gen it wasn't so expensive to make games. So the devs won't be able to sustain the genre. Look at Disgaea 3! HD console is useless for such a game, but that's what you'll start to get. Look at the raise of cell shaded JRPG this gen: it's cheaper to make.
Not everyone can lose as much money as MS to make JRPG that live up to the console they are put on.

Well Crisis Core is closing in on 1.3 million and its still unreleased in Pal teritories ... is that a success ? IMO yes :D

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!