By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have any Jrpgs been a commercial success this gen?

IU's trailer is a mixture of everything I hate about JRPGs. For heavens sake if your going to spend MILLIONS on a game get some good voice acting TALENT.

I hope it turns out to be a great game, if it is I'll buy it. But if that voice acting and the way he says his moves remains I'll mute it or switch it to Japanese so I wont have a clue what they're saying.

Around the Network

I find it funny that people think the people who own a 360 don't like JRPG games, it's only the elite PS3 and Wii fans that would only like them. Not everyone went to PS3 and Wii from the previous gen.

ookaze said:
Think people, think!
The only two consoles able to support JRPG just reached 1.5 years old. There's no way JRPG that can be a commercial success are released before a console has 1.5 years. They usually appear after that time, if only to have a sizable user base.
Dragon Quest Swords is an exception, as it sold well despite being a bad game: it's actually a big success, as it didn't cost a lot to make, but raked in lots of profit.

The first ones are coming, and the XB360, which is more than 2 years old, had its JRPG, but unfortunately it doesn't have the userbase to sustain it.
The userbase needs to be in Japan, as that's where JRPG mostly sell.

As for commercial success, it can happen with FFXIII, but I doubt the genre can survive on HD consoles. The problem is that the current values of the HD consoles imply more epic JRPG, with better graphics, better cutscenes, better sound, ... All of this cost more money. Unfortunately, as we've seen, sales are less or equal to last gen. But last gen it wasn't so expensive to make games. So the devs won't be able to sustain the genre. Look at Disgaea 3! HD console is useless for such a game, but that's what you'll start to get. Look at the raise of cell shaded JRPG this gen: it's cheaper to make.
Not everyone can lose as much money as MS to make JRPG that live up to the console they are put on.
The only cel-shaded JRPG I have seen on HD consoles is ToV. Level 5 was considering cel-shading for WKC but ofted for a more realistic look because a big scale RPG requires the little details whch cel-shading wouldn't be able to use

Why would someone play JRPGs then just suddenly switch to WRPGs

Edit: Forgot about Eternal Sonata 

Riachu said:

Why would someone play JRPGs then just suddenly switch to WRPGs

Where is the context for this question?

The RPG genre is pretty much dead, it doesn't fit in the new world order of HD gaming. It began its decline last generation and is being suffocated even more so by the westernization of the HD consoles.

I suppose the DS and PSP are the only consoles to feature any viable RPGs.

Around the Network
Onimusha12 said:
The RPG genre is pretty much dead, it doesn't fit in the new world order of HD gaming. It began its decline last generation and is being suffocated even more so by the westernization of the HD consoles.

You will probably be proven wrong when other JRPGs like FFXIII and WKC come out.  The genre is not dead.  Look at LO's sales.  People though that game was going to bomb here but it didn't.  A JRPG selling well is just a matter of decent marketing and good buzz.

outlawauron said:
@ totalwar

Well FE9 sold 160k in Japan only. The 500k number is the worldwide sales for FE10. (it sold 170k in Japan)

FE10 still doesn't have European data.  So no telling how much more that 500k figure would be.  I doubt it sold huge in Europe, but still...

darthdevidem01 said:
@Ari_Gold

sorry but FF13 doesn't look like low-budget crap..

A game doesn't have to be low budget to be crap. Square has handily shown us that time and time again. And from what we can see looking at FF13, all it has is flashy graphics. Though I'm sure it being a PS3 exclusive reflects in no way on your opinion of it.

Riachu said:
Onimusha12 said:

You will probably be proven wrong when other JRPGs like FFXIII and WKC come out. The genre is not dead. Look at LO's sales. People though that game was going to bomb here but it didn't. A JRPG selling well is just a matter of decent marketing and good buzz.

FF13 will sell well... in the same way Mario Galaxy sold well. Yet Platformers are still dead outside of handhelds.

They'll kinda survive but only by bastardizing themselves. (ARPGs etc.)

It's already started even in Final Fantasy with the changeups in 12. 

Onimusha12 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@Ari_Gold

sorry but FF13 doesn't look like low-budget crap..

A game doesn't have to be low budget to be crap. Square has handily shown us that time and time again. And from what we can see looking at FF13, all it has is flashy graphics. Though I'm sure it being a PS3 exclusive reflects in no way on your opinion of it.
Ahhh....but I could say the same to you Onimusha.