By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have any Jrpgs been a commercial success this gen?

outlawauron said:
@ mrstickball

Huh? What were expectations for Disgaea and Valkyria?

Disgaea sold very closely to its former titles, and Valkyria has a shot at passing FE in Japan. Both games haven't been released in America. They've both performed well IMO.

I was thinking the same thing Outlaw.  Both those games sold at reasonable expectations based on previous titles and their genre.  This is just in Japan though, so we don't know if they'll disappoint in other regions, but we don't yet have any reason to assume that they'll start disappointing.

Around the Network

Come to think of it, Lost Odyssey does look a little better than IU

ssj12 said:
Darc Requiem said:
ssj12 said:
mrstickball said:
Then what is Folklore? Enchanted Arms?

They are both SRPGs

No they aren't SSJ12. Folklore is an Action RPG and Enchanted Arms is a traditional JRPG.

Ya, your right on Folklore, but I dont consider a game that makes you decide where to stand to do the most damage and hope to reduce damage to yourself a traditional JRPG due to the fact you have to strategise your battles.

Echanted Arms is a turned based RPG with random battles. Sure they came up with their own twist on the battle system but that doesn't make it an SRPG.

@Riachu

a little??....what an insult you do to LO..

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

UI looks like a game built with all the parts SE found in "unused material for FF XII" box. That trailer is not enough to have a solid opinion on the game, but my impressions are not good at all. And what is Yuna doing in the game?

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Around the Network

@itsamii

{phew}....there is sanity left in the world

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
@soriku

if you thought that trailer was impressive....then I just have no words

it was awful in almost all respects..

I concurr, darth. I'm a fan of SE games but I am highly disappointed with what IU has to offer.

Also, SE needs to hire someone specifically for naming games. Infinite Undiscovery? Come on. I realize that they want to capitalize on the whole Final Fantasy naming scheme but just saying IU out loud makes me want to puke in my mouth. 

Proud Owner of all 3 current-gen systems

Currently Playing:
SSBB, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, MKWii, GTA IV (360), MGS4, DQIV, Jeanne d'Arc, FFVII: Crisis Core, Chrono Trigger (PSX)

Mario Kart FC: 4897-6731-4375
SSBB FC: 1504-5406-8515
Wii Friends Code: 1020-2726-1535-3964

XBL:
PhatLaosBoi
PSN: PhatLaosBoi

darthdevidem01 said:
@Riachu

a little??....what an insult you do to LO..

I'm afraid if I say a lot better looking than people would claim that LO's graphics are PS2-level with HD when it is not true.

@ Riachu

Wait, that didn't make much sense. HD is the upgrade from PS2, so can you have both? Nevermind.

And, if people think IU or LO could have been done on PS2, they need to go back and play PS2 games.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

UI looks sweet but i hate how they yell the attack names.