By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have any Jrpgs been a commercial success this gen?

PhatLaosBoi said:
ssj12 said:
PhatLaosBoi said:
ssj12 said:
Your taking JRPGs on an American Console. This is the problem right now with the current JRPGs. Any JRPGs released on the Wii and PS3 will easily see over a million sales.

I wouldn't say "easily see over a million sales" because there hasn't been a JRPG for either consoles to top a million in sales yet. Unless you prove me wrong, I'll stand behind my statement.

Well considering the PS3 doesnt have a single JRPG its kind of hard for it to sell 1 million copies of zero games.

@totalwar - Valkyria Chronicles is an SRPG not a JRPG.

Considering how the Wii has several JRPG's released in both Japan and America, the sales for those games aren't even close to 1 million. Even if we take the PS3 out of the equation, JRPG's on the Wii have underperformed. 

So back to the point I was trying to make; I am just pointing out that your statement is flawed and having a JRPG on either system does not equate to guaranteed success.

Several?  Underperformed?

Fire Emblem 10 is the best selling console Fire Emblem in many many years.  It far outperformed its prequel on the Gamecube.  Opoona is a kid's RPG that uses 2 buttons.  It's a bad game.  Dragon Quest Swords has outsold every single PS3 and 360 game ever made in Japan, and it's horrible.  It's not even really an RPG.  Just a first person hack-and-slash with the DQ name tacked on.  

Around the Network
Riachu said:

They aren't WKC-caliber but the game doesn't look that bad.  I've seen better looking RPGs on the 360 i.e. Lost Odyssey.  But it still doesn't look that bad.

From a technical standpoint it's pretty damn ugly.  What worries me more is the plot and combat system. I started worring about tri-ace after those really ugly Star Ocean 4 screens in the Famitsu scan.  Now my fears are being confirmed.  I think we have lost a formerly good developer... and I'm afraid both this and SO4 will be far below former tri-ace standards.

naznatips said:
Riachu said:
naznatips said:
rocketpig said:
It's sad but it seems as if people are reluctant to buy anything not labeled Final Fantasy and to a lesser extent, Square-Enix.

I'm hoping for decent results from Infinite Undiscovery (given the developer record, it should be very good) but other than that, I don't see anything taking off until FF XIII.

The latest trailer put up on Gametrailers recently was not so hot. Very poor voice acting, cliche plot and themes, and crappy graphics for this gen. To make matters worse it looks like they are copying the FFXII combat system.

I could have sworn that IGN said that the graphics were gorgeous.

The character models are very low poly. Some special effects are absolutley horrible. The water effects are nearly identical to what you would find on the PS2. Look at the particle effects on the smoke at 2:00. Trust me, none of this is anywhere near current generation standards.

The whole thing looks very rushed and unpolished.

a little picky aren't wii

i dont trust people who shit all over a game that they haven't even touched.

@ mrstickball

Huh? What were expectations for Disgaea and Valkyria?

Disgaea sold very closely to its former titles, and Valkyria has a shot at passing FE in Japan. Both games haven't been released in America. They've both performed well IMO.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

he didn't "shit all over" the game, he said it's graphically sub-par for this gen.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
Riachu said:

They aren't WKC-caliber but the game doesn't look that bad. I've seen better looking RPGs on the 360 i.e. Lost Odyssey. But it still doesn't look that bad.

From a technical standpoint it's pretty damn ugly. What worries me more is the plot and combat system. I started worring about tri-ace after those really ugly Star Ocean 4 screens in the Famitsu scan. Now my fears are being confirmed. I think we have lost a formerly good developer... and I'm afraid both this and SO4 will be far below former tri-ace standards.

Star Ocean 4 sceenshots looked really good actually.  In fact, I think Star Ocean 4 may be the reason that there are problems with IU's development.  Please tell me how were SO4 screens ugly, especially when we did not know which were GCI or which were real time.

People who are hyped for IU are seriously just way over themselves & 360..

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
People who are hyped for FFXIII are seriously just way over themselves & PS3..

FIXED

@Ari_Gold

sorry but FF13 doesn't look like low-budget crap..

@soriku

if you thought that trailer was impressive....then I just have no words

it was awful in almost all respects..