By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GTA 4 Shoe in for GOTY? Best game in History?

GOTY 2008? Probably

Best Game in History? Not even close.

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:
BenKenobi88 said:
I don't understand why everyone's being so defensive.

Yeah GTA4 will rock awesome, but it does have plenty of legitimate competition...so let's stop being douchebags when it comes to criticism, mmk?

For instance, I think Spore might win the world over more than GTA4 if it gets promoted well at the end of the year.

You have to think into the future...nobody will be talking about GTA4 in the fall, so other hyped up games might get the spotlight for a GOTY award.

I'd put Super Smash Bros. Brawl up in that list as well, but since that came out in March people have already forgotten about it.

Smash Bros. has no chamce for Game of the Year, as much as you love the game.

No chance?  Come on, it's pretty high up there, even though it's a fighting game.  The flaws with the Subspace mode will keep it from winning, but I'm not the only one who loves the game.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I think hindsight will be a big big factor in deciding if it will win GOTY. Reviewers don't live in a vacuum, and as such aren't objective. GTAIV has gotten an absurd amount of hype, and pumped up as the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'm sure it's an excellent game, but it no doubt benefits from the hype surrounding it.

Hindsight cures us of that. Will GTAIV still be a phenomenon and considered one of the greatest games of all time by January of next year? Or will that belong to the upcoming FFXIII/Killzone 2/Gears Of War 2, ect ect ect. As gamers we are a marketers dream, we buy into any amount of hype, build anticipation among ourselves, and fight fiercely to whatever game/system we are loyal too. And as soon as the product comes out we claim it's a masterpiece, play it for 40 hours and then repeat the process with whatever is the next thing they want to sell to us.

So will GTAIV be GOTY? Only if nothing gets hyped up for christmas time.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Well it's between GTA IV, MGS4, LBP, and some possible other ones that'll surprise us.

Onyxmeth said:
Garcian Smith said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
I sometimes think I'll be the only one happy when all the GTA4 hype dies.

You definitely won't be the only one. I've never understood the "ZOMG WORLD SIMULATOR" hype. I play games to escape from the real world for a little while, not to have a second virtual life.

Oh how I long for the days when people actually liked artsy games...

They painstakingly recreated an alternate version of New York City in this game, with individual building architectures and unique neighborhoods with a city that reviewers have said looks completely lived in. Why's that not artsy, because it's not cel shaded or looks like a living painting?

I was referring to "artsy" as distinguished from "realistic." Artists haven't aimed for realism, for the most part, for the last century or so, mostly because the invention of cameras enabled completely photorealistic art. One can therefore compare "artsy" games to modern or post-modern art, and realistic games to photographs. In other words, "artsy" games have a certain degree of abstraction or artistic interpretation to them, while realistic games aim to emulate the real world as closely as possible.

Therefore, when I compare GTA4 to an "artsy" game, consider this example: A contemporary artist and a photographer each attempt to capture a model in their chosen medium. GTA4 is like the high-resolution photograph that the photographer will produce: extremely detailed and realistic, but it's just representing what's there. An "artsy" game is like the painting the contemporary artist will produce: imperfect, highly abstracted, but showing the artist's unique vision of what he or she sees.

Now, put the painting and the photograph side by side. I guarantee you that the painting will be much more interesting to look at.

You will understand, therefore, when I say that artsy games are far more interesting than realistic games, because they show something beyond simply what's there.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network

No and No. Spore will be so awesome that it will win game of the year. It will not be the best game ever because I don't think that R* will do anything different that it would need to be one of the greatest games, let alone the greatest. To be in that list you got to build on what was done before you, and do something different and do it greatly to distinguish yourself, I don't see a GTA game doing that until the people at TT quit screwing around and build a business that doesn't lose money.

Best Game ever...? I'd more than likely stop playing video games if that's true.

Predictions for 2009: (Right) (Wrong) (Partial)

Pokemon Gold/Silver DS Japan in September

NES colored Wii and SNES Classic Controler for Christmas

Super Role Bros for Christmas

FF Remakes announced; VII PS3 VIII 360 IX Wii

New Super Mario World November 2009

Well i for one am glad that GTA4 was delayed from its previous christmas launch. I would be pissed if they had rushed it and done a crap job. I'd rather have a 10/10 (IGN) game in April, than a 7 or 8/10 game in December.

I just got my 360 gtaiv and i can safely say that is runs very smoothly!!!!

Pikaboo said:
Best Game ever...? I'd more than likely stop playing video games if that's true.

Then your stoping soon my friend.

mM