By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GTA 4 Shoe in for GOTY? Best game in History?

I'm also with the "I can't wait for the hype to end" - crowd. Honestly, you can't open a single gaming website at the moment without having GTA 4 shoved down your throat, up your arse and into every other orifice in your body. Everyone knows the game is great and is one of the biggest releases of the year but damn, enough is enough. Maybe it's because Rockstar is one of the most arrogant companies in the video game industry who won't even say hello without a 95% review score and a six page coverage, but the worship for this game is just ridiculous.

I'm actually hoping GameSpot, Edge or any other big reviewer knocks the game down a peg, just to drive some sense into this fervor.

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

Around the Network
SHADYVILLEQUEENSNY said:
why are there people tight at gta are u mad cause u dont liked these type of games? shut up and go play wiifit or sumthing from what ive read and what ive seen this game deserves the scores it got ill be picking this game up later today at around 4 pm eastern time and willl enjoy this game

Sure. Because I actually think I want to try this game just because it scores so high means I don't like GTA and ''shut up and go play wiifit or sumthing''? If I want a game not to be the best game ever made because, from what I read and have seen, it does not deserve this score? Please stop trolling.

And how the hell can you even know it deserves the scores it got? Heck, I can be more sure of it because what you see on those screens is the same game with better graphics. Not that that's wrong, but it shouldn't get perfect scores everywhere.

@Gamer1211: EDGE is still to come, that's going to ruin some of your fun probably. Possibly not, but bigger chance they're gonna. And there are always some cheesy sites that review games later and give them low scores. This is what pulled Bioshock, for instance, form the top position on Gamerankings.

Garcian Smith said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
I sometimes think I'll be the only one happy when all the GTA4 hype dies.

You definitely won't be the only one. I've never understood the "ZOMG WORLD SIMULATOR" hype. I play games to escape from the real world for a little while, not to have a second virtual life.

Oh how I long for the days when people actually liked artsy games...

They painstakingly recreated an alternate version of New York City in this game, with individual building architectures and unique neighborhoods with a city that reviewers have said looks completely lived in. Why's that not artsy, because it's not cel shaded or looks like a living painting?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

@ madzeldametroid u are tight right now because u dont like this game fam i dunno understand how it has been the same  game has for years please tell me how madzeldametroid

^ You are employing a vernacular usage of "tight" that I am unfamiliar with.  Would it be correct for me to surmise that you mean that he is judging your favored software with unfair strictness?

And may I say that your command of the language is remarkable.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

@ final-fan tight means mad

will people still play GTA IV in 5 years? probably not, but there are still some games that are played more than 7,8 to 10 years after their release.. what does that say about those games? whatever it says, those games need to be great per definition.. so GTAIV best game of all time? who knows.. but you shouldn't only look at review scores..

''Hadouken!''

I love the people hating on GTA/ starting to really understand why this site is the way it is. Sorry, but GTA is just the best series ever. Some people might define it as beating up hookers and stealing cars, but anyone who plays the game knows its much more than that.

Its funny, the driving is fun, and the storyline is always pretty good. Its pure entertainment, and its ability to entertain in so many areas is what makes it a step above any other game ever made. Its MASSIVE, and would really be reason enough to buy a console all on its own.

But hey, I guess its not for everyone. In terms of quality and content, it does seem to definitely be the best game of this generation, and probably atleast in the top 3 games of all time. Some people who hate the man and mainstream games will comment on how its just hype, but they are really just haters.

GTAIV>any Mario game EVER nearly confirmed! Man I hope this burns some people, but its true for everyone else in the world (except Marioboys of course.)

It'll almost certainly be game of the year. The only competition is likely to come from MGS 4. It would take something coming from very left field for game of the year to not be one of those two, with GTA IV currently a very strong front runner.

As for best game of all time, its far too subjective a title. There'll never be any consensus. It's worth further noting that the likes of Gamerankings is of no real value in settling this issue. Gamerankings is a largely useless site.

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 

i don't care about reviews, i only care about the GameFAQs top 50 FAQ pages list, which represents a huge console core gamer community, and what they play, and there are two games, two games who have like no other game captured the hearts of so many gamers for 10 years now: Final Fantasy VII and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time... only time will tell how GTAIV will do..

''Hadouken!''