By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GTA 4 Shoe in for GOTY? Best game in History?

Is GTA 4 a shoe in for Game of the Year?  Best Game in History? 

Based on its reception, I highly doubt any game this year will be able to compete with GTA 4 for game of the year.  From the reviews I have read and watched, it appears everyone is blown away by this game.  Now I am certain it will have problems as no game is perfect, but at the same time, I don’t think any game has been developed to this scale in quite some time.  Personally, I was never a real fan of the GTA series so I hope this one changes my mind. 

What I find more unbelievable is how Gamerankings has given this game a 99/100 a feat that has never been accomplished by any game ever before. 

I also feel that Microsoft and there exclusive content may play a much bigger role following GTA 4’s reception if the content is significant.  I compare this to the Halo, Mario or the Final Fantasy series.  The receptions of these games are always elevated by media and gamers alike, that the notion of “more/exclusive content” will likely lead to additional software and hardware sales now and in the future.  I am not ragging on the PS3 as I am sure it will obtain some form of content exclusive or not.  What I am saying is Microsoft has “hyped” this content at a large scale (see TV ads, Pre-order GTA 4 case, or xbox.com for details) and based on this I feel they have a noteworthy competitive advantage for GTA 4.

Best game in history?  Hard to say, but the statistics and reviews would make me assume so.  Needless to say I have my GTA 4 SE pre-order and can’t wait to play it tomorrow.

I hope it is everything that reviewers and editors have claimed.

Cheers all and hope to see you online.

Gamer 1211

Gamertag: Locked Shot

Reviews:

1UP.com

A+[87]

Computer and Video Games

9.5/10 (Xbox 360)

Eurogamer

10/10

Game Informer

10/10

GameSpy

5/5

GamesRadar

10/10

GameTrailers

9.8/10

IGN – I hate you Hilary Goldstein!

10.0/10 (PS3, 360)[88]

Official Xbox Magazine

9.5/10

Official Xbox Magazine (UK)

10/10

Official PlayStation Magazine (UK)

10/10

Official PlayStation Magazine (Australia)

10/10

TeamXbox

10/10

Empire (UK)

5/5 (Xbox 360)

Xbox World 360

98%

PlayStation World

10/10

Metacritic

PS3: 100% (14 revs)[89]
360: 99% (17 revs)[90]

Game Rankings

PS3: 99.7% (8 revs)[91]
360: 99.2% (13 revs)[92]

Around the Network

still a few big hitters to come... MGS4, even Killzone 2 has a shot, if they deliver.

no, I didn't include R2 or GeoW2, because although both with be very good game, none will most likely to get close to perfect score.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

GTA IV has alot of hype and popularity behind it, but that doesn't make it GOTY. There are games with better chances of getting GOTY this year: Starcraft 2, SPORE and MGS4.

IGN said best game since Zelda 64.

Shio: I have no doubt that Starcraft 2, for example, will almost certainly be a much better game than GTA4, and gamers will be playing it long after GTA4 is forgotten. But it sounds like they've done a great job of making huge improvements to the GTA franchise with GTA4, rather than simply releasing a slightly improved version of GTA3.

Either way, GTA4 looks like a very fun game.

I wouldn't be surprise if Wiifit gets a few votes.

Heck, I can already see their 'reasoning'... "Wiifit has changed the landscape of gaming...."

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network

I sometimes think I'll be the only one happy when all the GTA4 hype dies.

With the new market....
I can see game like Spore or The Blob win the GOTY this time.
Seem innovation is back.

Wii ware-Fatal Frame 4-Street Fighter 4-Sonic Unleashed-guitare hero 3-Disaster-wii fit-mario kart-Sadness-Games who actually use Wii Board...i dont know but,...it seem big enough for me.By the way,im a proud owner of P.E.S 2008  Wii and it kill all the other soccer game.

My Wii code:3553-1619-3236-0339

my Brawl Code:0860-2912-9428

GOTY- more than likely
Best game in history- no

Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario 64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Gears of War, Resident Evil 4, Metal Gear Solid, Bioshock, Final Fantasy 7, Super Mario RPG, and countless other games would like to speak to you.

myspace.com/neorayj

i hope not, because it will be a sad day in gaming when a repetitive, average game will become better than all-time classics like zelda OoT, mario 64, resident evil 4, soul calibur, goldeneye 007 or halo just because it's a gta game.

BluJay said:
GOTY- more than likely
Best game in history- no

Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario 64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Gears of War, Resident Evil 4, Metal Gear Solid, Bioshock, Final Fantasy 7, Super Mario RPG, and countless other games would like to speak to you.

So are you saying that all of these games will beat GTAIV in critics' reviews when it's all said and done, or are you basing this on games that you played and think are better than GTAIV. Because if it's the latter then I would suggest you wait until you actually play the game to lay that judgement.

edit: same goes to you Waron, how are all these people who haven't played the game such experts on the scores it deserves?