By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GTA 4 Shoe in for GOTY? Best game in History?

I say no.  [edit: Clarification:  No, it's not going to be a shoo-in for GOTY.  It may get GOTY and it is very unlikely to get "best game in history" status.]

GTAIV is an absolute monster but the competition in 2008 is incredible ALREADY and the year is only a third over.  [edit2:  and IIRC the scores games got do not always determine which one gets the GOTY crown.  So I would put Brawl, for instance, as a serious contender against GTAIV even though GTAIV will probably have a higher aggregate in the end.]

Finally, it's "shoo-in". Not "shoe". Just sayin'.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

I wonder if anyone who does not like violence and open-box games and being the bad guy will review it negatively -- just to be different. (There seem to be reviewers willing to do that for other types of games).

Personally, I don't care for this type of game. But I know a lot of people do so I hope it is as good as advertised.

If it is close, than it should be a strong contender for game of the year. I doubt it is the best game of all time -- because I doubt that there is not a better game to be made in the future. (After all, don't we want the future to get better).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Oh, I just noticed: Hi, Gamer1211! Long time no see.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

To be fair, Mike, the OP did specify "in history" not "for all time".

The only competition is MGS 4 for GOTY. There's no way Starcraft 2 will make it this year.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
BluJay said:
GOTY- more than likely
Best game in history- no

Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario 64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Gears of War, Resident Evil 4, Metal Gear Solid, Bioshock, Final Fantasy 7, Super Mario RPG, and countless other games would like to speak to you.

Check Gamerankings.com, it's beating all of those games right now.

mike_intellivision said:
I wonder if anyone who does not like violence and open-box games and being the bad guy will review it negatively -- just to be different. (There seem to be reviewers willing to do that for other types of games).

Personally, I don't care for this type of game. But I know a lot of people do so I hope it is as good as advertised.

If it is close, than it should be a strong contender for game of the year. I doubt it is the best game of all time -- because I doubt that there is not a better game to be made in the future. (After all, don't we want the future to get better).

Mike from Morgantown

Jacob isn't a bad guy, he is just a guy who got thrust into a bad world... You know.. like in the real world.

Not everyone likes the fantasy style games where you are the prince who has no evil in him and set out to save the princess and defeat the evil overlord and save the day.  

just difference in taste, Most reviewers are mature enough to overlook aspects of a game that doesn't fit them personally and review the game on the only factor, "FUN"

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
waron said:
i hope not, because it will be a sad day in gaming when a repetitive, average game will become better than all-time classics like zelda OoT, mario 64, resident evil 4, soul calibur, goldeneye 007 or halo just because it's a gta game.

Cause you know none of those games were repetitive...

@ kingofwale:  Mike's not saying it SHOULD happen, but it DOES happen.  More than one Wii game has gotten smacked by the reverse attitude.  I hope LBP escapes that fate.  

Even if the reviews show GTA 4 higher than Ocarina (which it can't considering OoT has a 99 average on metacritic)

I'm pretty sure most people including me will still say OoT will still have the title.